Windows Easy Transfer problems

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by rayjay, Aug 18, 2012.

Aug 18, 2012
  1. rayjay
    OP

Member rayjay GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I recently got a new HP laptop and I was hoping that I could transfer all of my stuff using the easy transfer cable but I've now run into some problems.

The first problem is that office 2010 wants the product key which I don't have. Is there any way I can properly transfer it onto my new laptop?

The second problem is firefox passwords and bookmarks. I tried the appdata trick on my second attempt at a transfer but that doesn't seem to have worked.

Is there any way to fix this? Should I delete the accounts on my new laptop and try again?

2. rayjay
    OP

United Kingdom
    Managed to fix the firefox problem, turns out my profile did transfer it was just that there was already another ff profile on the new laptop so I just copied and replaced it with the old one.

3. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    For future reference, I recommend MozBackup when transferring Firefox profile data. It's a really nice application which allows you to select exactly what it is you want to backup from your Firefox install and then allows you to restore it on one or several other machines.

4. jonthedit

Member jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Bermuda
    I have to run into this problem. Microsoft office is a pain in the ass when it comes to keys. I think you may have to end up " getting a new key to typ fo free" or just call microsoft if you aren't a pirate and get things sorted out.

5. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Well for office a quick Google search led me to this .

6. rayjay
    OP

United Kingdom
    Found a new problem, whenever I try to open steam it gives me "Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to write to current folder" but I can open it when I run it as administrator. I read somewhere that having Norton installed may have something to do with it.

7. gifi4

Member gifi4 How am I a 'New Member'?

Australia
    Wouldn't the product key be in the registry? If so, you could probs navigate to it and get the key there.

8. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Get your self a copy of "EVEREST Ultimate Edition" when you start it up look on left under software and in there under licences wella there you go every licence on your comp!

9. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    The Steam error is likely due to it trying to acess files but because you transferred they are in different places now.

10. rayjay
    OP

United Kingdom
    I tried the produketky program, but when I inputted the key that I found from my old laptop office said that it wasn't valid. What now?