Hacking Windows 7 x64 does not detect WBFS HDD

SpikeBolt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have WD My Passport Essential 320GB and for no reason, Windows 7 64Bit and WBFS Manager does not recognize it anymore.

The drive does not show up ANYWHERE. Not even as raw in the Disk Management. I tried new drivers, reboot... The Wii detects it just fine and all games seem to be working perfectly.

Googled the problem, found a few people with the same problem (even the same HD sometimes) but no one seems to know the answer :\

SpikeBolt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The drive has worked before, I am aware that the problem is not the SO itself. I'm just hoping someone knows how to fix it :\

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
What i should do if i where you:

Remove the HDD from it's case and place it in another external HDD case
I had WD Passport drives before and all broke down (not recognized anymore by OS), when replacing in another case, all worked again.

So if you have a spare case, or you can borrow one, to try it first, give it a shot
WD makes terrible electronic circuit boards for there external cases :/

SpikeBolt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
DjoeN said:
What i should do if i where you:

Remove the HDD from it's case and place it in another external HDD case
I had WD Passport drives before and all broke down (not recognized anymore by OS), when replacing in another case, all worked again.

So if you have a spare case, or you can borrow one, to try it first, give it a shot
WD makes terrible electronic circuit boards for there external cases :/
I don't have a spare hdd external case and I doubt that is the problem since the Wii recognizes it just fine.

QUOTE(thela_kid @ Jun 17 2011, 01:03 AM) make sure the usb slot is powering the drive. i just bought the same drive a week ago and mine still works fine.
Yes, the drive is powered. The white "USB" light is on.

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clean out your driver cache folder reboot your PC and plug in the WBFS drive it should redetect it. (all your USB devices will be redected) This may or may not work but its worth a try.

SpikeBolt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
JonthanD said:
Clean out your driver cache folder reboot your PC and plug in the WBFS drive it should redetect it. (all your USB devices will be redected) This may or may not work but its worth a try.
Fixed it
smile.gif
Thanks a bunch.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
windows doesn't read wbfs drive cause it can't, you need wbfs manager to read it, an thats the only way.
if you would like your computer to read wbfs file folder then you need to format it to fat 32, at 32k cluster, or ntfs.. those are the only formats you can plug into your computer, an the computer reads. you can find the manager inside modmii..
blink.gif

SpikeBolt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
shortz1994 said:
windows doesn't read wbfs drive cause it can't, you need wbfs manager to read it, an thats the only way.
if you would like your computer to read wbfs file folder then you need to format it to fat 32, at 32k cluster, or ntfs.. those are the only formats you can plug into your computer, an the computer reads. you can find the manager inside modmii..
blink.gif
The problem was that the HDD was not DETECTED. Not in Windows nor in WBFS Manager.

RedHero

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I have the same problem, but on Windows 8. I tried this solution, but it didn't work. Some history:

- I set up a Wii to work with USB HDD loading ever since that first became available. This meant manually formatting an HDD to WBFS.
- When plugged into Windows, it would always ask for formatting. It did recognize it as an HDD, just not the format. Anyhow, it still detected it as a drive and WBFS managers just worked.
- Later on I started to encounter some trouble. Most WBFS managers didn't detect the drive anymore. Windows didn't list it as a drive anymore either. I did find one that detected it though. Since I had so many games on it, I was reluctant to reformat.
- Started to use a new laptop with Windows 8. Same problem as before, but that 1 program did work.
- After a reinstall of the laptop that 1 program doesn't detect it anymore either.

It is still listed in the bios, but I am unable to do anything with the drive. It is also listed in the device manager, but as a unknown USB device and I can't do anything with it (except turn it off). It's not listed in partition manager at all, leaving me unable to assign a drive letter to it. I also tried other partition managers that aren't built into Windows, but no success either.

The Wii still reads it just fine though. Is there any way for me to reformat is? Is there a USB loader that formats the HDD through the Wii? And no, this has nothing to do with getting enough power from the USB, this HDD has its own power supply

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse