windows 7 upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by cheez203, Mar 30, 2010.

Mar 30, 2010

windows 7 upgrade by cheez203 at 11:20 PM (861 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. cheez203
    OP

Member cheez203 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    if i upgrade to windows 7, is there a feature that lets me keep all my files and still install windows 7 or does it force me to format my entire computer to install windows 7?

2. Matthew

Member Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    NEVER NEVER NEVER do this, it is possible but would cause TONS f problems, just get a portable HDD.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    ...I don't understand what the above point is referring to.

Upgrading to Windows 7 is seemless if you're upgrading from the equivalent version of Vista. This means, if you have Vista Home Premium x86, you can upgrade to Win7 Home x86 without losing any data. Same applies for Business/Professional, and Ultimate.

If you're going from XP, or trying to upgrade to a different version (say, Home to Ultimate), or going from x86 to x64 (or visa versa), you have no choice but to perform a "Custom Install". In this case, your old Windows folder will be renamed to Windows.old and Windows 7 will install to a new Windows folder. Any other files will be left alone, but any installation or user settings (all of which are stored in the registry) will be lost.

There is a program to help you in saving some user settings (offered on the Windows upgrade center website), but it will tell you to reinstall just about every program you had.

Personally, I think it's useful to start fresh sometimes. Get a new Hard Drive Drive (which are fairly cheap these days - 1GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 for £60), install a fresh copy of Windows on it, and use your old drive as a backup. You can never have too much space in a HDD.

4. cheez203
    OP

Member cheez203 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    so your saying I can easily upgrade to windows 7 from windows vista home premium(that's what i have) without losing a single file (except the windows program files, obviously)? But how do i figure out if i have x86 and what exactly is that?

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    x86 is 32bit. x64 is 64 bit. To find out, hold down the windows key and press pause on the keyboard. That'll bring up the system properties (also reachable by r-clicking My Computer and clicking Properties) where it'll show your CPU, speed, RAM, Windows version, and whether you're 64 bit or 32 bit.

Vista Home Premium can only (seemlessly) upgrade to Windows 7 Home Edition. It cannot upgrade to Windows 7 Professional Edition. It's important to make this distinction because friends have asked me a LOT since 7 came out. So, if you're trying to get to Windows 7 Home Edition, you can upgrade directly without having to re-install anything at all.

Well, some programs might want you to reinstall them, but most should work just fine, since Vista drivers and Win7 drivers are very similar and generally completely compatible.

EDIT: @Wingless: Ninja-ed [​IMG]

6. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    Start>Right click Computer>Properties (Keyboard shortcut: Start+pause/break)

Then all you need to do is look under system type.

EDIT: Too slow. Anyways, doesn't the upgrade pack upgrade both 64 and 32 bit?

7. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Upgrade simply means that all programs you installed won't be required to be installed again after the upgrade. This is very buggy though, and most people don't recommend it.

A "clean" install just means that you have to re-install all your programs. All your old files will still be saved in a folder called "windows.old" in your C: drive.