Gaming Windows 7 beta, replacing XP pro with Ubuntu.

Tozarian

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So I downloaded windows 7 beta, runs real nice, I like the interface, etc. Afterwards I wanted to install XP pro on the same drive, but I forgot to partition the drive and it ended up getting really wierd. Now I have to options when booting up: Windows 7 and "Earlier version of Windows".

What I am trying to do is remove XP pro and install Ubuntu (or another linux distro if someone could reccomend one)

How should I go about removing XP and partitioning the drive?

Thanks in advance,

Tozarian

Dylaan

Trophies
XP
Country
If you don't care about anything on your XP partition you should be right to delete it. Might want to make sure the bootloader isn't on the XP partition though... If you're happy with the Vista/Windows 7 bootloader just grab EasyBCD. It'll let you delete the link to your XP install ('Earlier Version of Windows') and I'm pretty sure you can make it point to Linux and/or OSX installs.

I don't know anything about Ubuntu's bootloader though, it might kill your Windows one and you'll have to restore it manually. By the sounds of things you should be fine to work it out though.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ubuntu installs the GRUB loader, which works great. It automatically detects the Windows installtions and creates entries for them. Windows 7 takes the XP install under its wing, so it will just appear as Windows 7, and XP will remain as 'Earlier version of windows'

You can just keep XP on there if you want. If you don't want it on there, simply delete the XP partition, then if you want to, the boot entry for it in the Windows 7 boot manager

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2