Windows 10 won't work [Please Help Me!]

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Shadowehh, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Shadowehh
    OP

Shadowehh Also known as Shadd

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Jeff The Killer's Bathroom
    The Story Of How This Happened
    Ok, so I tried installing windows 10 64-Bit from 32-Bit because my CPU supported it, but my RAM wasn't too good, so then I accidentally pushed the power button while it was getting things ready and then it quickly started back up and made a loud sound. I then powered it off because the sound was very loud. When I turned it back on, it tried to recover and then my finger twitched and pressed the power button (because I left my finger on it, but not pushing it). I tried turning it back on then the OS did not want to load. After that I went into the windows options and tried to fix it and did a clean install (and I backed up my important files before all of this), but failed multiple times due to errors. I finally managed to do the clean install, but then it said once more an error occurred and the only option was cancel, so then I clicked on cancel. When windows 10 rebooted, I got a black screen when it tried to bring up the boot screen for windows 10 and it couldn't, so then it rebooted itself to try again, but never managed to. There is one way to fix this, but I need help.

How You Could Help Me
    Well, so all I have is a Chromebook (which is my cousins, but I could use it freely), but I do not know how to run rufus on it so then I could burn windows 10 32-Bit ISO on my USB flash drive. Could someone help me manage to run rufus or another program to burn windows 10 ISO onto my USB flash drive so then I could go ahead and fix the problem. You could also help me find another way to install the 32-Bit windows 10 ISO if you can. This is a major problem because I do huge amounts of work on it and is my only computer. Please help me if you can as soon as possible!

2. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
  3. Dr_Doom

Dr_Doom Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2016
    He only has a Chromebook he said he cant run .exe

Okay well your in a bit of a pickle.

First you need to put your Chromebook into developer mode.

1. Press and hold the Esc and Refresh keys together, then press the Power button (while still holding the other two keys). This will reboot your Chromebook into Recovery Mode.
    2. As soon as you see Recovery Mode pop up—the screen with the yellow exclamation point—press Ctrl+D. This will bring up a prompt asking if you want to turn on Developer Mode.
    3. Press Enter to continue, then give it some time. It'll pop up with a new screen for a few moments, then reboot and go through the process of enabling Developer Mode. This may take a little while (about 15 minutes or so), and will wipe your local information.
    4. When it's done, it will return to the screen with the red exclamation point. Leave it alone until it reboots into Chrome OS.

Now after doing that there is a guide here on how to create a bootable usb drive http://askubuntu.com/questions/278403/how-do-you-make-usb-bootable-on-chromebook

Last edited by Dr_Doom, Apr 3, 2016
  4. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Some of the commands int he guide does not work on my cousins chrome computer which does not allow me to put the Windows 10 bootable file in it. Is there another way?

5. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    You really don't have access to another Windows PC?
    You can't go to a friend's or some other family's house to use a Windows PC?
    Since your easiest solution is using the Windows 10 media creation tool.

6. Seriel

Seriel Worshipper of Skiddos

Aug 18, 2015
    Find any random windows pc (Or use a vm if chromebook can do that, idk lol) and run the media creation tool. There's your iso.

7. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    I don't think Chromebooks have a Virtualbox and probably most of them would not work with the USB Flash drive, but currently I have two ideas of how to get it back and fully working.

Seriel likes this.
  8. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Ok, so I found a way to create a bootable USB through the terminal that the Chromebooks runs in (it uses a linux based terminal). So I first type in
    cd /home/user/*/Downloads
    then I type in
    sudo dd if=NameOfIsoGoesHere.iso of=/dev/sdb

After I type that in it looks like it is not working, but leave it there for a while and then it would say it is done, but do not stop there (don't remove the USB either just yet). Now, wait a bit longer then the Chromebook would turn off and turn back on. When it turns back on you can take away the USB flash drive and then it would work this way (you can't use it unless you format it, I think windows can't format it, but I tried formatting it through Chromebook and it worked).

9. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    dd won't work for creating Windows USB installers. However, you could create an Ubuntu Live with dd, boot into it, then install winusb and go from there.

Code:
    dd if=ubuntuiso of=/dev/sd* bs=4M && sync
    * being your USB drive.

Last edited by Joom, Apr 19, 2016
  10. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    No, WinUSB does not work for me. My computer is not wanting to cooperate with me so what happens is that it turn on and after I try to boot into USB or just go ahead and wait for it to start, a black screen of death comes up, makes a weird sound at the same time it reboots and then it just starts all over. I am very sure it is a different problem having to do with the hard drive (I think I bricked it though).

Last edited Apr 20, 2016
  11. SlappyTheDummy

SlappyTheDummy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 22, 2015
    Italy
    Try to run an ubuntu live and start media creation tool will on Wine. I'm not sure it will work but you can always give a chance. If that does not work you have no choice but access to another windows PC.

12. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    Yeah, I tried accessing another windows PC, but I can't find one. I tried my brothers, but he is missing his charger and I tried my old windows vista computer, but it won't start windows (it just keeps on booting up and I did try to re-install windows vista on it too).

13. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    So then install Linux on it. Also, I don't understand why people buy Chromebooks. They seem like a waste of money to me.

14. Shadowehh
    OP

Jan 27, 2016
    United States
    They just get them because they are lightweight and they get the job done faster (if you do something like google docks). Anyway I managed to get my computer fixed by installing windows XP on my old computer and putting the windows 10 iso into a USB flash drive using rufus (yeah the Chromebook was the one that did not get the job done correctly). Anyway this is now over!