OP
Trophies
Website
cutt.ly
XP
Country
Australia
Hi,
over the past few weeks my PC will get to the lock screen quite fast but take around 2 minutes to get to the desktop, the only known startup ups i have enabled are taskbarx, adobe startup apps and biog wallpaper. I also use bootracer to minimise load. I also still have over 300 gb left on my drive and dont want to reset it. Any ideas?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
My first steps would be to make a backup, test all connected Disk drives and run anti malware software e.g malwarebytes.

Does the same thing happen if you just wait at the login screen for a while and if you hibernate instead of shutdown?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, i meant locked from cold boot only, lock screen works fine and i have to transport it to school as its my work laptop.

No if you close the lid it is meant to being put into sleep mode and there fore the screen are lock. You just going have to re login again, if it had a SSD it will be much faster boot time than your standard HDD.

Sneethan

OP
Trophies
Website
cutt.ly
XP
Country
Australia
No if you close the lid it is meant to being put into sleep mode and there fore the screen are lock. You just going have to re login again, if it had a SSD it will be much faster boot time than your standard HDD.

If i close the lid login is instant.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My first steps would be to make a backup, test all connected Disk drives and run anti malware software e.g malwarebytes.

Does the same thing happen if you just wait at the login screen for a while and if you hibernate instead of shutdown?

Waiting yes hibernate will test as i set it up yesterday

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well does it have a solid state drive or do you have a regular HDD? Solid state have a much faster boot time, also if your cpu core aren''t fully enable, it will take much longer time to process stuffs.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdd, but it used to be quite quick

Is the computer your or does it belong to the school, since you did mentioned about work, If you don't have administrator right on the computer asks your employer IT department to check if all your CPU cores are running, running 1 core is slower than whatever amount of cores you have within msconfig -> boot-> advance options.

Last edited by Hayato213,

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even with a nearly empty hard drive windows 10 will take around 2 minutes to start through a hard drive just because it's such a big OS. If you get an SSD it'll be like 30 seconds tops from cold boot into a browser

Sneethan

OP
Trophies
Website
cutt.ly
XP
Country
Australia
Is the computer your or does it belong to the school, since you did mentioned about work, If you don't have administrator right on the computer asks your employer IT department to check if all your CPU cores are running, running 1 core is slower than whatever amount of cores you have within msconfig -> boot-> advance options.

Its mine, i just use it for work as well as games and video editing

D

Deleted User

2 minutes for a regular hdd is not that bad. I've had it take like 8-10 minutes but it probably needed defragging and I had too many startup items. I just said to hell with it got a SSD and 30 seconds to boot and I still have a bunch of startup items.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Put power and sleep timer to never and remove your password so you never had to worry about it being locked.
This is terrible advice. You should never prevent a laptop from going into a low state unless you want it to die. You should also never remove an account password. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

@OP, what are your specs? Quite honestly, it's probably the wallpaper thing you have set to launch at startup. Provided it pulls images from the internet, it's probably constantly polling your network status until it can make a DNS request. This eats up a ton of resources. Especially if it's related to Unsplash. Use Wallhaven for your wallpapers.

Last edited by Joom,

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is terrible advice. You should never prevent a laptop from going into a low state unless you want it to die. You should also never remove an account password. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

@OP, what are your specs? Quite honestly, it's probably the wallpaper thing you have set to launch at startup. Provided it pulls images from the internet, it's probably constantly polling your network status until it can make a DNS request. This eats up a ton of resources. Especially if it's related to Unsplash. Use Wallhaven for your wallpapers.

Perhaps you can't read for real, but nevermind that, that was before he stating he was using the computer for work. All these tweakings ain't going help him beat a SSD performance versus a regular HDD boot time.

Sneethan

OP
Trophies
Website
cutt.ly
XP
Country
Australia
Perhaps you can't read for real, but nevermind that, that was before he stating he was using the computer for work. All these tweakings ain't going help him beat a SSD performance versus a regular HDD boot time.

I also said i use it for other things. I an interested about the wallpaper theory as it only happens AFTER I enter my pin

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just use hibernate now anyway

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I did see that. There are ways to resolve this and not spend money, though. OP can scrape a bunch of wallpapers from wherever they want and use them as a sideshow instead. And everyone knows SSDs are faster than hard drives. That's why I didn't bother replying to that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...