Hardware Will this work/fit inside a PS4?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Reactions: gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
funny how it says

but it's just a plastic thing with 2 sata cables (super cheap to make with a 3d printer) and costs 100 bucks new
I know, right? Personally, I'd just grab a a couple cables and plug a 3.5'' HDD to the PS4, and leave it outside, but that wouldn't be pretty, idk. The price for that is absolutely ridiculous, even if you want to make it look any better than just leaving the HDD outside.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWPEVPL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered this one for now.. thanks for all the help.. now how do i go about upgrading it.. Currently all i have on teh PS4 is basically the first hour of Uncharted 4 saved on it... How should I proceed?
in the old ps3 you could use a usb drive create a backup, replace hdd and restore the backup
i guess the ps4 should be pretty similair
btw, that hdd will work (it's 2'5 inch)
you can probably just copy the save, replace the hdd and restore the save back without a full backup if you dont mind loosing the other stuff
doesn't the console has a manual or something that explains this??

I know, right? Personally, I'd just grab a a couple cables and plug a 3.5'' HDD to the PS4, and leave it outside, but that wouldn't be pretty, idk. The price for that is absolutely ridiculous, even if you want to make it look any better than just leaving the HDD outside.
for the 100 bucks that thing costs+the price of the new hdd, you can very likely get a 1tb ssd (the price of the ssd is not far)
which makes the "use the faster 3'5 drives" pertty useless

derkiederk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
make absolutely sure that it is a 2.5' hdd.

you could even buy some external hdd that is 2.5 and just take the hdd out of its cover and place it into your ps4.

i have placed a 1tb Toshiba in my ps4 and its awesome.
i would not recommend the external hdd's though.

buy a laptop ready internal hdd (again must be 2.5').

good luck !

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWPEVPL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered this one for now.. thanks for all the help.. now how do i go about upgrading it.. Currently all i have on teh PS4 is basically the first hour of Uncharted 4 saved on it... How should I proceed?

here i found the "official guide"
https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD

That won't fit mate, it's 15mm thick. 9.5mm is the max for PS4 which go up to 2TB.
i thought the hdds in the same factor were suppose to be the same size... woa...

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq

Ralph1611

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I dont know who to trust. The reviews say it fits but this guy up here made me cancel my order before it shipped so I need someone who knows what they are talkin about to tell me if it fits.

derkiederk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I dont know who to trust. The reviews say it fits but this guy up here made me cancel my order before it shipped so I need someone who knows what they are talkin about to tell me if it fits.

You have to be careful with Amazon reviews, they lump up reviews for all sizes and variations of particular items so you never know what's actually being reviewed. That applies to most computer hardware.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
take a closer look in the description
  • Choose 7mm - 500GB, 1TB and 2TB capacity options - for easy-to-upgrade laptop/mobile storage
  • With 3TB and 5TB capacity options, the 15mm barracuda 2.5-Inch Hard Drive allows you to easily store most of your games, music, movies and more

so, up to 2TB it will be a 7mm drive
so, in this HDD, up to 2TB it will work with no issue
however the higher ones, as @derkiederk pointed out, you will have a hard time to make the 15mm fit

check in the amazon reviews for what model is that review, amazon mixes all reviews for all sizes in the same place, (which i do think it's really shit to do so)
there are several ps4 models, they seem to have a different hdd place, the 15mm hdd can barely fit in one model, but don't fit at all in other...

check the link i gave earlier that is the offical sony website with the info https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@Ralph1611 really take a close look into the reviews, i selected the reviews for the 3TB model and this was what i found:
Screenshot from 2017-02-06 16-35-54.png

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
I just went with the 2TB one. Thanks for the help guys...even though i was a pain. Sorry derek. :)
glad you are happy...

yeah, amazon does this shitty thing..
shows a product page with options for several forms, colours, etc..
so the reviews of all the different stuff for that product is displayed together..
if you look closely, you can see reviews for the three and half inches drives which is a different thing...
this function is great when a product have different colours, (for example, nintendo switch has all grey colour, and the coloured joycons version) wich makes sense to display the reviews togheter since it's the same product and difference is just the colour..
but when the difference is not just aesthetic and plays a role on it's purpose.. (like this hdd case) it should had it's separated reviews...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended