1. blackwhitexy

OP blackwhitexy Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Croatia
    Considering the CFW can only run images of physical variations of the games, can we expect for publishers to do more eShop-only releases to avoid piracy?

I hope they find a way to run backups of eShop games soon.

2. Filo97

Filo97 Pink = Best colour

Italy
    I'm pretty sure that won't happen with any major game. Maybe some small smaller games. But not main Nintendo games such as Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Kirby and (Eventually) Pokèmon.

CuriousTommy and CallmeBerto like this.
  3. tpax

tpax GBAtemp Fan

Gambia, The
    It's just a matter of time until the backup loader can run literally anything you throw at it, so it would be pointless to give up a big cut of the revenue by not bringing physical releases of your games.

Centergaming, Fuk and nmkd like this.
  4. comput3rus3r

comput3rus3r GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Having ESHOP only games limits your customers to current customers. Having physical copies in the store gives you a presence in the general public. They've experimented with just having empty game boxes with just a download code inside but I don't know if that worked out too well.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  5. alkar

alkar GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No.

JellyPerson and Reploid like this.
  6. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

United States
    They will always release physical releases
    Indie devs don't release physical anyway. So nothing will change

CallmeBerto likes this.
  7. sion_zaphod

sion_zaphod Ex-Galactic President; confidence trickster; etc

I think with the recent news of REVII being released through a cloud gaming service (depending on the success of it), it could pave the way to a completely new type of gaming and game system. If a game is being streamed directly from a server rather than being bought, downloaded and installed from anyone of the content delivery systems (be it eshop/google play/itunes/psonline/xbox live/steam), it makes piracy incredibly difficult. At the end of the day isn't that what games developers and software company's want? We have forced this situation with piracy and homebrew and unfortunately I think the days of physical release for games and software are over.

8. Axido

Axido GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Whenever I see a PC game that pulls this, I don't consider buying it at all anymore (unless it's a special edition with enough content worth the compromise).

9. gabru

gabru Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    You would need an Internet connection to that, difficult to implement in portable devices. But a great idea to destroy piracy. Maybe in the close future we will see that in PC's, but I think we will get a "Netflix"-like platform for gaming before could gaming service.

10. lilpataya

lilpataya Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    Piracy has always existed, and it hasn't stopped publishers to release their games.

Idk about other countries, but for pc gaming we've got http://shadow.tech in france, that is basically a netflix like platform for games.

11. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

United States
    Didn't BBB already begin dumping eShop titles?

I was under the impression that eShop titles were just as dumpable on the switch. Just not publicly.

Last edited by 8BitWonder, May 23, 2018
    CallmeBerto likes this.
  12. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Hungary
    Yeah, they did dump some.

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I'm just here waiting for the inevitable argument that will break out.

P.S. Considering how publicized Shiny and Scires being banned for hacking is getting, this might be a good thing because devs may think less people are inclined to hacking if being banned is a consequence

CallmeBerto likes this.
  14. jramirex

jramirex Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Until every first world country gets reliable high speed internet that game streaming fad isn't going to stick. The USA has average broadband speeds of 60mpbs, sufficient enough but keep in mind that number is based on the speed offered by ISP not by the actual speed packages costumers buy. Then you have massive outliers like me in a very lucky area with gigabit internet, that really screws with the average.

15. 13_Switch_Hacker_37

13_Switch_Hacker_37 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Where do people tend to buy consoles?

In stores.

Now what kind of display would they have if all the games were just digital? Would they build expensive display cases where you could actually play the games? Maybe in their flagship stores, but those already exist in the big downtown stores -- what about the rest of the country?

And what about the old people who don't like buying things online for their grandchildren? What about collectors who want physical memorabilia?

The competition between SNE/MSFT/NTDOY is too great. The first to move to all digital will certainly see a precipitous drop in sales.

And as mentioned by many commenters here, without a reliable, global, internet, especially as games get larger, there is simply no change of going all digital.

They say the best way to combat piracy is convenience? Well convenience to you and I is downloading something online, but for the tech illiterate, convenience is going to a store and buying something physical.

TL;DR: Buy a PS4

kikongokiller and whateverg1012 like this.
  16. Yami Anubis ZX

Yami Anubis ZX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Major publishers will not stop doing physical releases as there are people out there who love physical and there's alot of em as I know some who refuse to buy anything off the Eshop as its digital.

Why do you think there's a company named Limited Run Games, there is a market, plus physical is cheaper, if major publishers just made there games digital only, they would probably keep there releases at 60 dollars for years to come, which means no one but the hardcore will buy, which also means a loss of revenue for the publisher and people will start becoming cheapskates and end up pirating. This is also a reason why digital will not become a norm because if it did, it would be so expensive, people would be pirates.

Last edited by Yami Anubis ZX, May 23, 2018
  17. alepman90

alepman90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nah and i give BBB team 3-4mth to crack eshop titles, didn't take them that long back in 3DS era

18. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    They already have. We can download Yuka Laylee

19. DocAmes1980

DocAmes1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No. Pretty silly question. ACE is possible at the lowest level. It's ignorant to think that loading of eShop only titles will not be possible soon. Welcome to the forum.

20. alepman90

alepman90 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Is it compatible with TX ?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - publishers, physical, releases