Homebrew Suggestion Will Nintendont ever be a Switch possibility?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats it really like the title says would Nintendont be a possibility for the Nintendo Switch homebrew? I don’t see any threads asking the question but I have been wandering for a while now. I suppose @FIX94 would know more about this than anyone else?

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: NoNAND

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thats it really like the title says would Nintendont be a possibility for the Nintendo Switch homebrew? I don’t see any threads asking the question but I have been wandering for a while now.
No. Nintendont runs Gamecube games natively, not through emulation. Even if it was an emulator, it would run just as slow as current Gamecube emulators for the switch (Dolphin on Lakka).

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
No. Nintendont runs Gamecube games natively, not through emulation. Even if it was an emulator, it would run just as slow as current Gamecube emulators for the switch (Dolphin on Lakka).
I would of thought with overclocking which is possible now I cannot see why it can’t be done, if it was emulated. I’m very surprised know one has even mentioned Nintendont yet or looked in to it at the least!

Last edited by Reecey,
Reactions: NoNAND

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I’m very surprised know one has even mentioned Nintendont yet or looked in to it at the least!
Not sure what wasn't read from the previous post to this, but Nintendon't is not an emulator.
It will and cannot let you play Gamecube titles on a system that wasn't built on Gecko architecture.
The whole reason Nintendont works on Wii and Wii U is because both of their processors were built on the same framework as the Gamecubes, and runs the gamecube games natively off of the processor. Nothing is really being emulated.

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure what wasn't read from the previous post to this, but Nintendon't is not an emulator.
It will and cannot let you play Gamecube titles on a system that wasn't built on Gecko architecture.
The whole reason Nintendont works on Wii and Wii U is because both of their processors were built on the same framework as the Gamecubes, and runs the gamecube games natively off of the processor. Nothing is really being emulated.
I get that but can it not be coded differently to work with the switch anything is possible!

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. Nintendo runs Gamecube games natively, not through emulation. Even if it was an emulator, it would run just as slow as current Gamecube emulators for the switch (Dolphin on Lakka).
actually, those emulators are interpreted so dynarec could increase performance as well as other optimizations as these emulators are nowhere near complete

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I get that but can it not be coded differently to work with the switch anything is possible!
Except not anything is possible. You have to think about it realistically. Even if the emulator was coded in assembly language, it might still not work well enough to run Gamecube games through it (and no one would ever write a gamecube emulator in ASM, it would take decades). The Switch doesn't have enough power to run the games reliably, and you need to realize that coding a front-end (which is basically what Nintendont is) for the Switch would be completely useless.

Reactions: Mnecraft368

Mnecraft368

I hate my name.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you did that, then you make an emulator and puts us back to square one.

An emulator makes it so that the functions another device use (lets say, a Gamecube for example) can be understood on another (perhaps your PC).
Nintendont doesnt need to do this as the Wii/U can already understand the Gamecube.

I hope I explained that correctly. Someone feel free to correct anything.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would of thought with overclocking which is possible now I cannot see why it can’t be done, if it was emulated. I’m very surprised know one has even mentioned Nintendont yet or looked in to it at the least!

1) "Would have", not would of

2) No, a little overclock won't help here

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamecube might be able to be emulated at playable speeds (Twilight princess, SM Galaxy, etc have been emulated with an official emulator on Nvidia devices). This is different from Nintendon't which is a hypervisor. It's similar to how gameboy color could play gameboy games.

Reactions: MAXLEMPIRA

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Except not anything is possible. You have to think about it realistically. Even if the emulator was coded in assembly language, it might still not work well enough to run Gamecube games through it (and no one would ever write a gamecube emulator in ASM, it would take decades). The Switch doesn't have enough power to run the games reliably, and you need to realize that coding a front-end (which is basically what Nintendont is) for the Switch would be completely useless.

I wouldn't be so sure about that as you would be surprised how much a dynarec core helps with that kind of thing (no need to rewrite the entire emulator in ASM).

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gamecube might be able to be emulated at playable speeds (Twilight princess, SM Galaxy, etc have been emulated with an official emulator on Nvidia devices). This is different from Nintendon't which is a hypervisor. It's similar to how gameboy color could play gameboy games.
I doubt it, we can't even get N64 at full speeds, and emulating Gamecube can be harder than emulating PS2 sometimes.
Also you wouldn't need to write the emulator in ASM, I'm just saying if it was, and was also optimized, it would run like a dream, and even then it might not play things at full speeds

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies guys! Very interesting topic though regardless. I would like to hope Nintendont might be a possibility for the future whether it be emulated or not, if not ever it would be a huge shame for the switch homebrew scene..it would be a fantastic asset otherwise!

Last edited by Reecey,

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's try and sum this up.

• Nintendont is not an emulator. As said before it runs gamecube games on the original Gamecube CPU Hardware, which is still inside the Wii and Wii U.
  • The Switch uses an Entirely different architecture, Using an Nvidia Tegra X1, an ARM based CPU.
  • This means Nintendont is impossible to run on the Switch.

This does not however mean, that gamecube emulation is not possible, as Dolphin is available on the switch, but is slow, and requires time and advancements in the Switch homebrew scene (Namely, Dynarec for Tegra) before it will get faster.

So no Nintendont in it's original form.

Yes to Gamecube, but it's not going to get any good for a while.

Reactions: Vorde

coppertj

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: While the victims are being buried