Will fw >3.41 ever be hacked IYO?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by elmoreas, Oct 12, 2010.

?

Will the PS3's fw >3.41 ever be hacked/jailbreaked?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have no clue what you are talking about

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Oct 12, 2010
  1. elmoreas
    OP

Member elmoreas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    In your opinion will PS3 fw 3.42/3.50/3.50+ be hacked and therefore be jailbreakable in the future or is it just a one off thing for 3.41? I don't mean ability to get on PSN just ability to JB the PS3 on PS3's that are already on fw>3.41; So whats your opinion yes or no? Feel free to explain why in the thread.

2. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    As far as I understand it the original exploit has been blocked and Sony has closed any possible mutations of the original exploit to prevent further use of the jailbreak.

However, I am pretty sure by hacking 3.41, developers and other various people have information about the PS3 that was not previously accessible. Unfortunately, things relevant in 3.41 (and other previous firmware versions) has a chance of not carrying over to older firmware versions ( > 3.41).

While rumors are going around that 3.5 can be hacked, I think they should remain as not working until proven otherwise.

Final Conclusion: It is more probable that only consoles < 3.42 will be able to be hacked and any > 3.41 will be unhackable. A new generation of Playstation consoles has a greater probability of being released before a new released exploit is found on > 3.41 consoles.

3. FragAguy

Member FragAguy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    For what I read on Arikado's blog the exploit can only be blocked by modified hardware, so sony has to bring a new ps3 on the market that blocks every possible exploit. Beside that I think it will get harder to hack newer firmwares. Just look at the PSP scene and you know what you can expect from sony.

4. Kayot

Member Kayot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think there will be CFW, but it will only work on systems that came with 3.41 fw and lower. I wouldn't be surised if a pandora like methode came out for downgrading systems that updated past 3.41.

I didn't buy a PSPgo/3000 because they couldn't be hacked. I love carrying all my PS1 and SNES games in my poket. I'm sure there will be a serge in system sales followed by a sudden slowing when 3.42+ becomes default. Then the non-pirates will blame the pirates for any shortage in good game development and forget that before the system was exploited that there was already such a problem. That's pretty much what happened with the PSP.

I also wouldn't be suprized if games that required higher firmware are cracked to run on lower firmware just like the PSP. The bridge between CFW and cracked games will allow the exploit to propegate well into the future. At least that's my take on it. I hope there's CFW soon so I won't need the exploit anymore.

5. fallinroxas

Member fallinroxas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well it's not that the firmware was hard to hack for the psp scene. It was just Dark-Alex left because the firmware was not adding anything BIG to the system. And that's why he stopped. Team GEN is just lazy.

6. tehnoobshow

Member tehnoobshow GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    pretty sure it will be hacked....just have a feeling

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    How old was that?
    It was found out soon after release that it's a heap overflow attack, which is done in software and patched in software.

8. FragAguy

Member FragAguy GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I think it's outdated then. sorry for the post, please ignore me [​IMG]

9. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I doubt it will be hacked soon. It's been out for so long and its just recently been hacked by GeoHotz and he told us how it worked, how the system is secured and what not. Then this came along which is like a pandora battery for the psp (from what I heard). Since this is blocked I doubt there will be anything that is going to come out soon. We'll may find some save game exploits and what not and possibly modified drives/drive firmware. But a hacked system that can load unsigned codes will probably not come anytime soon. My opinion of course.

10. UnitGGChamp

Newcomer UnitGGChamp Advanced Member

United States
    It would be awhile as I'm sure updates 3.42 and 3.5 have hard coded the system..I'm going to purchase a second PS3,I mean why not? 1 homebrew and 1 for everything else.. best solution..

11. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    If you meant bringing out a 5.50GEND4/E, then yes. Team GEN is probably lazy.
    If it's bringing out a 6.xx GENx, then this will take a long time. You know that it is recoded from scratch so that means the firmware must be re analysed/reverse engineered by scratch too. Go see how long the 1.50OFW and 1.50POC time span was.

12. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    Well we technically can go past 3.41 we just need someone to dump the 3.50 firmware files and we could boot into that using the firmware loader.

But in my opinion we'll eventually get past 3.41, or find a way to get on PSN without being on the latest firmware.

13. Yuan

Member Yuan GBAtemp Maniac

Brazil
    Maybe, but don't think pirates will play online on PS3.

14. Kayot

Member Kayot GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't care about online play. I need the PSN so I can get the rest of my games. You know, the part that should've came on the disc and sometimes does but it's locked out. Before the PS3 was hacked they had no excuse for DLC. I hope our grand children look down on them for such acts. God knows if someone dosen't hack the DLC they'll become nothing more than a footnote in a gamefaq guide tens years down the line. So much for perserving the past.

15. girugamarc

Member girugamarc GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I personally don't think it will be hacked. I probably will be updating mid November if there isn't any new news concerning a 3.5+ patch :x

16. lesj1989

Newcomer lesj1989 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I'm quite happy at the moment with 3.50, I play pro clubs on fifa 11 with mates and could'nt do that with jailbreak so i'll be patiently waiting..

17. MrDiesel

Member MrDiesel GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    I don't think so.

Afaik, v3.42 fixed the problem for ever, since it is a software exploit.

What could happen is that a new exploit is found, but I think that the chance it very slim, as it has taken like 4 years to found this software exploit.

18. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I think a new exploit is much closer than 4 years. For these four years only a small handful of people (~7?) could run unsigned code. Now everybody and their grandmother can.

19. MrDiesel

Member MrDiesel GBAtemp Regular

Belgium
    Yeah, that's a fact. But still, running unsigned code on an old firmware is one thing, running it on a newer firmware on the other hand... Yes, it might take less than 4 years, but still.

20. UnitGGChamp

Newcomer UnitGGChamp Advanced Member

United States
    I gave up and updated..When a new update for dongle's are around I will buy one..because it is not worth it if I can't play new games for 2-3 more years..