Will a magnetic mount interfere with the Switch fan?

xenphor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I've been using my OLED Switch with a magnetic mount since I got it a year ago. I recently read about how the Steam Deck's Delta fan had issues with a Dbrand magnetic kickstand and am wondering if the magnetic mount I'm using could be interfering with the Switch's fan. I can't hear the fan much at all whether it's attached to the magnet or not, so I'm not able to tell by ear if it's causing issues.

I haven't noticed any performance issues nor has the Switch turned off from overheating. I think the main thing I'm worried about is that the fan could fail prematurely if it is working harder than necessary. I'm not sure what brand of fan the OLED Switches use and if it may be known to have issues with magnets. I know the Ifixit teardown says it's a Delta fan.

Thanks for any help.

I would post pictures but I'm unable to post links. I have the Switch in a case with a metal plate on the back (center) and a B-Land magnetic gooseneck stand for the mount.

edit: Here is the setup
undefined - Imgur.jpg

Last edited by xenphor,

xenphor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After doing some more testing I can confirm that it does interfere with the fan. I noticed that without the mount attached, the fan spins up when first waking the Switch from sleep. If I move the mount against the back of the Switch when this happens (near where the fan is located), I can hear the fan speed being interrupted. I never heard this with the mount attached before waking the Switch from sleep so I guess it never spun up fully.

What's interesting is that even without the mount, the fan becomes inaudible after it goes through this phase after wakeup, so that's why I didn't notice it. Now I'm wondering what the condition of the fan motor is like.

Does anyone know if the Switch fan is supposed to be audible while in portable mode?

Last edited by xenphor,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto