Wiiware "Failed to Launch" when moved to SD

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by requiem_mortis, Feb 18, 2010.

Feb 18, 2010
  1. requiem_mortis
    OP

Newcomer requiem_mortis Member

United Kingdom
    I'm based in the UK and have a softmodded American Wii

Sysmenu 4.1U
    Preloader 0.3b
    BootMii as IOS
    cIOS 38 rev 17
    Hermes 222/223 rev 4
    IOS70-64-v6687[TB+ES_diV+NAND]
    USB Loader GX in conjuction with IOMEGA Select 500 gb Portable HDD

My system works fine and for all the Wiiware noted below when installed to the system NAND as Channels. [​IMG] But I have problems when I move them to my 2Gb SD Card

I can successfully move to and run the following titles from the SD card:- [​IMG]
    Excite Bike
    Lost Winds WotM

However the following titles give me the dreaded "Failed to Launch" error. [​IMG]
    Onslaught
    Silver Star Chess
    World of Goo
    Tetris Party
    Bomberman Blast
    Swords and Soldiers

All installed from WAD files using HBC & WAD Manager 1.5

I've done a fair amount of searching both here and on other forums and have been unable to find anything particularly relevant.
    Apart from using a NAND emulator (Triiforce or SNEEK) does anyone know if my problem is due to bad WADS or are these titles not suitable for SD launching. ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I came across a reference to Wiiware compatibility for SD use but I lost the reference and can't seem to find it again. [​IMG]

2. Skater4599

Member Skater4599 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Only thing i can think of is make sure your System Menu IOS (60 in your case 4.1) is Patched with trucha, aside from that either check region of the wads or maybe bad wads in general but i doubt it if they run off the nand itself

3. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Make sure you have enough empty blocks on your Wii's nand for the game itself. When your playing off SD its actually copying the contents to the nand as a temp file. If you've got 400 blocks free you should be able to play nearly every ww/vc title.

4. requiem_mortis
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the fast reply.

When I tried installing them and moving them I had over 600 left when trying to launch from SD

5. requiem_mortis
    OP

United Kingdom
    I believe I have a solution

By setting use ios36 for system menu in preloader the wiiware channels on the sd card now work !

Hoppy likes this.
  6. Dante Wolfe

Newcomer Dante Wolfe Member

United States
    I also ran into similiar problems. It has to do with the download ticket. Now in the case of Offical Wii Ware (as in purchesed from Shop Channel) You can move it freely to the SD card upon time of downloading. When installing a wad it installs onto the wii system first, if you copy it onto the sd card then leave the original on the system it will run off the sd card, but if you delete the original then it fails to launch at that point. Just something interesting I noted.

7. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    Because ios36 is trucha patched. if it wasn't it would give you the same error. run DOP-IOS and dop ios60, making sure not to install the stub. you should be able to run all your wads through sd channel.

8. requiem_mortis
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thankyou

I tried dop IOS on ios60 and was show I had the latest installed and there was no option to re-install....I installed an older one the re-installed the later with the hash check but I think I missed something because the sd wiiware still won't run under IOS60 I would be greatful if you would be so kind as lead me through the options of DOP-IOS to set.

9. resincake

Member resincake GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    To cure that problem all you need to do is run Dop-Ios and select IOS53 and say 'yes' to the 2 or 3 patches it offers (es_identify, etc..), then do the same for IOS55. They will run fine then. If they don't, which is doubtful, the IOS60 wasn't patched correctly, so just do like you did for IOS53 & 55 in Dop-Ios, but select 'System Menu. instead of an IOS (that'll patch 60 fine.) I'm almost positive Dop-Ios'ing 53 & 55 will fix it though, in fact, I know it will. ;>

If you're not sure if you'll be able to use Dop-Ios without a guide, trust me you'll be fine, it is very self explainatory, it first asks you ti choose an element via a menu (ie./ Ios or System Menu,etc..) , then when you select IOS, It'll ask which number, so you'll select those I said (53 first), leave the version to the ones it selects as default, then just press the A button to select 'yes' for each patch it suggests (there'll be 2 or 3 for each IOS). Thats it.
    Happy Wiiwaring off you Sd-Card .. ;>

10. jeverd01

Newcomer jeverd01 Newbie

United States

I was having the same problem. Did what you suggested with IOS53 & 55. This didn't work though, so I did it with Ios70. Then the wads worked from the sd card. Not sure if it was a combination of both or if it was ios70 only.

11. Citra

Newcomer Citra Member

Sweden
    Sorry, for bumping this thread.

I have Wii 4.3U
    w/ 2 GB Sd Card (Sandisk).

I am installing wads with Yet Another Wad...

But the wads fail to load, which happens to almost all my wads.
    Including Bit Trip Core, and Space Invaders Get Even.

I tried patching IOS 53,55, and 70. Like stated but had no success.

Help is much appreciated.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This is what Yet Another Wad...

Tells me when it boots up...
    _patched
    _patched
    _patched
    _patched
    _patched
    _not patched
    _not patched
    _not patched
    _not patched
    _patched
    _patched
    _patched
    _patched
    _not patched
    _not patched
    _not patched

P.S. Fail to load when transfer to SD card. Sorry.

12. mightymuffy

Member mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

United Kingdom
    That's one hell of a necrobump! A new thread would've been better as the info here is outdated.... You want to patch ios80 on firmware 4.3 then you should be fine. (A better option though would be to look at using a loader and creating an emunand)

13. Citra

Newcomer Citra Member

Sweden
    I also tried that, saw that in a youtube video. No success.

Should try to disinstall and reinstall the WiiWares?

Mayabe by deleting the Channel in Wii Menu and reinstalling use YAWM?

14. Citra

Newcomer Citra Member

Sweden
    The fact that WiiWare do not load when transfered to a SD Card. Is completely normal. The only work-around is to load them via WiiFlow (MasterPiece by AbZ???) or USBLoaderGX. Will update if sucessfull. After I will close the thread.

Refer to
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiflow-4-the-masterpiece-pack-by-abz.336543/