Gaming Wii's at retail stores

nightking

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way of telling what Wii version by looking at the serial number? I am planning to buy a Wii at Walmart, but I don't want to get the 4.2u version.

What I only can do is , buy the wii, if it has 4.2u, just return it I guess.

Thanks

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
whats wrong with a 4.2U? first of all, these aren't in stores yet, probably wont be until after xmas... I mean, even their newest game (mario bros wii) only has the 4.1 update in it (not 4.2)!

i think there are 3 types of wii's out there (in terms of hardware)

1) the old ones = the best
2) the newer ones... new boot1 (making bootmii boot2 install impossible)
3) the newest ones... new boot1 + new D3-2 chipset making disk backup launching impossible (but usb loading still works)

you can try and see if there is a pattern with serial numbers and functionality using this DATABASE

but generally, the lower the serial number the better

FierceDeityLink1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pretty much what xflak40 said, though there is some consensus on what serial numbers are which drives. Hence the "Type your serial number to get live drive details." on wiidrives.com. I bought one last week and it was a 3.2U. But in terms of finding one pre-LU64, I think it's pretty much impossible other than used on Craigslist/eBay.

cup9192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, six to eight months ago, anything LU64+ was not able to be modded (soft mod, at least). That is not the case now, and as a LU65+ consumer that recently switched from hard-mod to soft-mod, I can realistically tell you that you'll be fine. Just follow up on the "scene" and don't do anything you're not sure of. xzxero's post on how to modify any wii (virgin 4.2 even! [except Korean]) is spot on and proven to work. There is nothing like a USB loader.... take the plunge!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: $6 for 2 pounds though shits expensive