Hacking Wiin95 Development Starts (working title)

Hybr1d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello ladies and gents, myself and a few others have started development of a new linux distro for the Wii.
currently there are the whiite and xwhiite linux versions available with another on the way from Muzer (Miight),
the plan is to develop an application set for use with the whiite kernal.

this topic is to get a general feel for the kinds features and applications that you would expect this distribution to
have. The name of the project reflects the idea that it should be a retro gaming distro with working apps such as
DosBox, Mame etc.

Key Kernal features like the use of the internal wifi wont be developed on here, the idea is to provide a
comprehensive application set so that none linux users can be comfortable using the system without additional mods.
This includes the window manager currently the dev version is running with ICEwm with the possiblity of XFCE.

so ideas please people what apps would you like to see?

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
n64 emulator
smile.gif

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
djdynamite123 said:
n64 emulator
smile.gif

Your sure there is one for Power PC?

@topic
In my opinion it would make more sense to put all current wii homebrew emulators together with an nice gui in an single application.
Or for what you wanted to use linux on Wii?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frodo for me too, the C64 emulator that Virtual Console uses isn't very good.

DOSbox too, should be possible with or without W95 seeing that there is a Dreamcast version.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FGOD said:
the emulator wii virtual console uses is the Frodo emulator
tongue.gif
Well its a screwy version then, have you played Mayhem In Monsterland VC? Colours aren't right and the sound goes out of sync most of the time.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hadrian said:
FGOD said:
the emulator wii virtual console uses is the Frodo emulator
tongue.gif
Well its a screwy version then, have you played Mayhem In Monsterland VC? Colours aren't right and the sound goes out of sync most of the time.

no i didn't yet but it is a crappy one indeed

leathco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Few crazy ideas...

[Hardware]
USB support for the Wii Speak hardware / have it recognize it as a USB microphone.
Support for mass storage USB devices, such as external hard drives and large (8GB +) USB thumbdrives
USB Mouse/Keyboard support (should be a given)
Able to use Wiimote as a mouse pointer
Able to use Classic Controller as a mouse
Wifi support
Support for USB CD/DVD drives for mass storage

[Software]
Web Browser (I'd personally prefer Google Chrome or Opera), preferably with Flash support
Emulators, with the OS reading the Classic Controller as a keyboard for easy configuration
User-configurable GUI with multiple levels of CPU usage (able to control whether to turn eye candy on or off)
Ability to install software from popular Linux repositories (Ubuntu, Firefox, etc)

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I just want usb 2.0 capabilities on the next linux distro for the wii...with all the other goodies..

Even though...Nintendo hasn't released any 2.0 support
frown.gif

Will they? Is the question. I have heard they will and heard they won't..

I guess if they really wanted to...they could drop the Wii system like a bad habit because of this
homebrew activity going on...

And we will just get what we can unless by some unknown miracle someone makes it usb2.0 compatible.. which what I hear is near impossible.. along with the dvd firmware...

Good luck anyways with this project.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:
I just want usb 2.0 capabilities on the next linux distro for the wii...with all the other goodies..

Even though...Nintendo hasn't released any 2.0 support
frown.gif

Will they? Is the question. I have heard they will and heard they won't..

I guess if they really wanted to...they could drop the Wii system like a bad habit because of this
homebrew activity going on...

And we will just get what we can unless by some unknown miracle someone makes it usb2.0 compatible.. which what I hear is near impossible.. along with the dvd firmware...

Good luck anyways with this project.

nintendo already has 2.0 drivers they can use, so if they think there's a reason to release them for public use, they will.
(see: WiiStation's for Hospitals)

my guess is they won't find such a reason....they'll move on to Wii2 (ie: whatever is next) and "forget" us, so to speak.

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im kind of unsure what this has to do with windows 95.
Dosbox? not sufficient for a title like wiin95.
Get wine running and you'll have something worthy of that

t7g

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the stuff mentioned here really is pipe-dream like, there are very specific reasons the features you wish to have are not available yet and noone short of a Wii hardware and software expert is going to solve them for you, by the way, I don't think you'd have too much luck with Wine, but I could be wrong, remember- You only have 66mb of ram to work with, that's it. If you swap to your sdcard you're gonna destroy it eventually.

Hybr1d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@ killplaystation
Hence working title
wink.gif

Anyways, wifi and usb 2.0 support will be added as soon as the kernal is updated to include those features.

The idea of the project is simply to provide an application set to users who dont have the knowledge to
compile those applications within the linux environment. Linux n00b friendly I suppose. also I want to expand
the look and feel of the xwindows system currently implemented, fluxbox is very...meh.

Posts merged

@t7g
Correct wine would be very difficult, tho not impossible. would need a dedicated project I think.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.