Wiimote "tilt" not working.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by wiiguy, Jan 5, 2011.

Jan 5, 2011

Wiimote "tilt" not working. by wiiguy at 5:24 PM (2,257 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. wiiguy
    OP

Member wiiguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The wiimote works great when using the IR to point at the screen, but when I use "tilt," in games like Mario kart (where I have to hold it horizontally) it does not work. My brother did spill some jack and coke on the wiimote. I bought a screw driver and have torn the wiimote apart.

Any ideas on a fix? I am currently cleaning it up w/ rubbing alcohol and q-tips.

Where is the tilt mechanism? On the Nintendo website, it said to tap the wiimote on a hard surface (which did not work). Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. w!!

Member w!! GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you have the homebrew channel installed, you can use this program to view the raw accelerometer data from the wiimote:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiMotionDemo

This can help you verify if there is any output at all, or if it's a funky game setting.

I believe the accelerometer is a sealed chip on the wiimote, so more likely the coke is shorting a connection on the pcb, or fried the chip or another component completely. Nothing to do but clean it best you can and see if it works... I've used rubber erasers to clean pcbs as well. Worst case, knock off replacement wiimotes are only like $10.

3. wiiguy
    OP

United States
    Thanks, I'll try that.

4. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Take the Wiimote buttons faced in your hand. Then give a firm smack on it's back with your other hand. ( Very firm ).

Try the Wii mote. If it does.nt work repeat. I am serious.
    For some Wiimotes it's a common problem.

5. wiiguy
    OP

United States
    I guess I'll have to smack it a little harder... maybe it likes a little abuse

Its not like I'm going to break it more...

6. wiiguy
    OP

United States
    Fixed. I bought a triwing screwdriver, took it apart and cleaned it with a toothbrush and rubbing alcohol. After it tried, I put it back together and beat the remote like a few of you suggested. Now it works! Thanks!

7. iMythD

Newcomer iMythD Advanced Member

Australia
    Same problem for me, and yes. This solution solved it. Might sound a little silly. But it does work.

8. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Yep, cool eh?