Hacking Wiikey Install - Strange Problem.

student69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, I had a Cyclowiz mod chip that I really liked and was happy with but I decided to update it and things went bad (not sure what happened but no big deal). So I removed it and installed a Wiikey. The install was a pain because I lifted a pad when removing the cyclowiz but I managed to goto a chip leg. Booted the Wii and everything worked great. Played two games, then put in the third and it couldn't read it. So I put in a 4 disc and it couldn't read it. Rebooted the Wii and still nothing. Shut it down (red light) and restarted after 10seconds, still nothing. Finally I figured out if i unplug it completely for a few minutes and then turn it back on it will let me load a backup. But when I try to load a different game it cant read it. All original discs work fine.

I have not been able to find mention of this problem anywhere, so I am wondering if anyone has had this problem or might have an idea of what it is. Could this be a blown fuse? I checked all my connections with a multimeter, and up close with a macro shot. Although its not the cleanest install it is fine, and it does work for a bit. I am wondering if heat might be causing something to expand and short out. Any ideas?

PS. I know its not a media issue as I sorted that all out when I had my cyclowiz and haven't had a DRE since.

wii_ownz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
could the length of the wires be a problem, have you checked whether you have a clone of the wiikey or is it authentic?

student69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The wires are pretty short I cut them to length, much less then I have seen in other installs. And I did compare it the clone chart on the site and it appears to be authentic.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
are all points still firmly soldered and you didnt knock any lose/hit any others off? thats about all i can think of... clearly the wii doesnt read non-authentic discs, therefore, your chip isnt installed correctly or faulty

student69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
are all points still firmly soldered and you didnt knock any lose/hit any others off? thats about all i can think of... clearly the wii doesnt read non-authentic discs, therefore, your chip isnt installed correctly or faulty

It does read them though. If I shut it off for awhile and let it cool down, when I boot up I can play backup games no problem. I really think its a heat issue. I am going to try and removing any tape that is not needed, as well as check my soldier points again tomorrow. I have checked them twice but it can't hurt to check again. Also I discovered that all I have to do is turn the console off (Red light) for long enough and it will play backups when it boots up. Its got me really confused, but all i can think of is heat causing a wire to move and short or something?

student69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you got "unable to read disc" error? I had that problem when i installed my wiikey. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=46174&hl=
But when i changed my dvd to another brand, all work great and that problem vanished.

What dvd you use? Try something DVD+RW which max speed is 4x and write it 4x speed.

No, I know its not a media issue, I am using high quality discs and burning at low speeds, and this is not my first mod chip as mentioned in my first post. I am getting unable to read disc errors but only after the console has been on for a bit. If the console has been off for awhile and is cool to the touch everything works great.

Malboro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
No, I know its not a media issue, I am using high quality discs and burning at low speeds, and this is not my first mod chip as mentioned in my first post. I am getting unable to read disc errors but only after the console has been on for a bit. If the console has been off for awhile and is cool to the touch everything works great.

I have exactly same problem when i use my maxell+R 16x (high quality) disc and burned them at low speeds (4x). But my maxell DVD+RW x4 speed work great
blink.gif
. Now i use TDK-R 8x and them works great. I also tried same iso on both disc - maxell have that error and TDK works fine.

btw. what dvd you use?

student69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

student69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I have exactly same problem when i use my maxell+R 16x (high quality) disc and burned them at low speeds (4x). But my maxell DVD+RW x4 speed work great
blink.gif
. Now i use TDK-R 8x and them works great. I also tried same iso on both disc - maxell have that error and TDK works fine.

btw. what dvd you use?

Well I am using High Grade DVD-R maxell and every game that I have worked flawlessly with my cyclowiz, so I know the games work just fine. And they all work good until the console heats up, then only once the console has been on for awhile will it stop recognizing the games. I have tried different media but to no effect.

student69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well I went into it and removed some tape, there wasn't much to begin with though. changed the positioning of some wires, triple checked my soldier points, and its seems to be working better now. It is still doing it but not as much, and if I cant I will just buy another wii when they become more available. For now though I can still play everything I want just cant switch games really quickly. Thanks for your guys suggestions and help.

alucard77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the thing I find is that you won't really need to change all the time. Right now your testing games. But in the future, how often would you really change?

What you can also do is listen to your Wii. You will hear these beeps. Usually when I don't here a beep after I shut off my original game, I know the next game I load will not load. Sometimes I will jump into another channel to get the Wii to almost refresh itself. Then I try to load a game. I have had some sucess with this in the past.

student69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, the thing I find is that you won't really need to change all the time. Right now your testing games. But in the future, how often would you really change?

What you can also do is listen to your Wii. You will hear these beeps. Usually when I don't here a beep after I shut off my original game, I know the next game I load will not load. Sometimes I will jump into another channel to get the Wii to almost refresh itself. Then I try to load a game. I have had some sucess with this in the past.

Yup you are very right. I do not switch games that often, but thankfully the problems have seemed to almost go away completely now. So what ever I did last time i opened the case seems to have fixed the issue. If I had to guess I would say the leg I soldiered to the chip leg was a cold soldier because its the only one I reheated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1