WiiKey and Nintendo Updates - Quick Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nyijedi, Dec 24, 2008.

Dec 24, 2008
  1. nyijedi
    OP

Newcomer nyijedi Member

United States
    Please excuse my ignorance, but I haven't been keeping up w/ the whole mod scene recently. I was hoping someone would be nice enough to answer a quick question for me.

I have an original Wiikey (version 1.9b) installed in my US Wii, and my Wii currently has firmware version 3.2U. Everything is working fine for me, but when I recently tried to access the shop channel, I was told that I had to do a Nintendo update first. Is this safe to do with the Wiikey and my current Wiikey firmware? I want to have access to the shop channel, but I don't want to brick my Wii (obviously). Should I update my Wiikey to 1.9s first, or does this not matter? Thanks for the help, it is truly appreciated!

2. Quincy

Member Quincy Your own personal guitarist :3

Netherlands
    Use Tona's Shop Updater...getting a link for ya

3. Quincy

Member Quincy Your own personal guitarist :3

Netherlands
  4. fiveighteen

Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

United States
    Update your WiiKey to 1.9s anyways. Then load the [Wii Shop and IOS51 Installer] from HBC and you'll be good to go.

EDIT: Ninja'd, and don't double-post quincy. Use the edit button.

5. nyijedi
    OP

Newcomer nyijedi Member

United States
    Wow, you guys are awesome. Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! I'm going to do the Wiikey update and IOS51 updates now.

Just out of pure curiosity, if I would have applied the full Nintendo update, would I have screwed my Wii?

6. fiveighteen

Member fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

United States
    Nah, if you upgraded to 3.4 you could always [downgrade back to 3.2], but it's not recommended to do.

EDIT: Link to downgrading thread added (see how that works quincy? [​IMG])

7. Diffusion

Member Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    3.4 is safe for modchips. ...if you don't care about loading trucha discs through the disc channel, installing WADs, and watching DVDs, you can upgrade if you want.

8. nyijedi
    OP

Newcomer nyijedi Member

United States
    Thanks Summersett. Last question (I promise). I've been doing some reading on the 3.4 update, and from what I see, it only affects homebrew. Is this understanding accurate? I'm asking b/c I'm not into the homebrew scene, so if that is the only thing the 3.4 update screws up, I'm thinking it may be easier for me to just install the update from Nintendo. While I'm sure I can figure out how to do the Shop Updater/IOS51 update if necessary, I'm not overly familiar with this stuff, so it would obviously be easier to install the 3.4 update if it's not affecting anything that I currently do on my Wii.

Thanks again. Although I don't post much, these forums are my first stop for anything Wii related, and I'm very grateful for all of the help.

EDIT: Thanks Diffusion! You answered my question as I was still typing up this last post!