Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My cousin gave me her White Wii, you know, one of the first ones out there.
She told me if I could fix her Wii, because is not reading anything.
When inserting a Disk it makes some noises before throwing the message:
WiiDiscError-56a6ac7e3df78cf7728fa8c0.jpeg

(Picture taken from Google)

I told her that it may be caused by one of these:
1.- The laser does not work properly.
2.- May be something related with ios?
3.- May be the default launcher?
And then I told her that her only solution would be to hack her Wii and use USB Loader GX with an external disk.
But before I do that, I want to know what do you think it may be causing this trouble.

Her Wii is 10 years old and she doesn't want me to hack her Wii unless it's the only solution.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Are the discs scratched? Could also be a dirty laser.

IIRC there were issues with early wiis and dodgy lasers, especially around SSBB's release and either you could send it in or there was a cleaning kit released.

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Are the discs scratched? Could also be a dirty laser.

IIRC there were issues with early wiis and dodgy lasers, especially around SSBB's release and either you could send it in or there was a cleaning kit released.

Hi, thanks for replying. For some reason, GBAtemp is suddenly logging me out.

I thought about sratchy disks, but I tried with mine's and still won't read them.
I've looked on her Wii's save data, and I couldn't find any SSBB's save data, so I assume that she hasn't used any of those special disks, If I recall correctly, those disks had a double layer or something along those lines, no?
I don't know if any other games that she has played has those layers too.

So, basically, if her Wii is that old, is possible that it may not have any solution unless she replaces her laser?
Then, that means that the solution should be trough hacking and loading back-ups. She won't be pleased by that, but meh.

About that cleaning kit... can you tell me more?

Also: Is there any way to open the console to "clean" the laser? And see if that fixes the problem?

Last edited by Gizametalman,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, thanks for replying. For some reason, GBAtemp is suddenly logging me out.

I thought about sratchy disks, but I tried with mine's and still won't read them.
I've looked on her Wii's save data, and I couldn't find any SSBB's save data, so I assume that she hasn't used any of those special disks, If I recall correctly, those disks had a double layer or something along those lines, no?
I don't know if any other games that she has played has those layers too.

So, basically, if her Wii is that old, is possible that it may not have any solution unless she replaces her laser?
Then, that means that the solution should be trough hacking and loading back-ups. She won't be pleased by that, but meh.

About that cleaning kit... can you tell me more?

Here's the official cleaning kit:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-UK-RVLALS-Lens-Cleaning/dp/B001GZT1UI

https://www.amazon.com/Wii-Lens-Cleaning-Kit-Nintendo/dp/B001GZT1UI

I suspect at this point either the drive is knackered or it's dirty, if you look around you may be able to find something about cleaning it through cheaper means e.g. generic drive cleaning kit or disassembly but there's no guarantees any of these work.

That said, I've seen Wii's with a warranty go so cheap that it may be better to replace the whole console than to look into these alternatives if she's adamant about not hacking it (although at this point, I'd say it's the better long term solution).

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Here's the official cleaning kit:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-UK-RVLALS-Lens-Cleaning/dp/B001GZT1UI

https://www.amazon.com/Wii-Lens-Cleaning-Kit-Nintendo/dp/B001GZT1UI

I suspect at this point either the drive is knackered or it's dirty, if you look around you may be able to find something about cleaning it through cheaper means e.g. generic drive cleaning kit or disassembly but there's no guarantees any of these work.

That said, I've seen Wii's with a warranty go so cheap that it may be better to replace the whole console than to look into these alternatives if she's adamant about not hacking it (although at this point, I'd say it's the better long term solution).

Nice, thanks, I'll let her know before I make any move.
I also think that hacking is the best solution.
Thanks again :grog:

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Just a thought but... Just liketech3475 said, and If I recall correctly, very early Wiis had a weaker dvd reader (because at first it wasn't planned to use dual-layer dvds), and if that Wii is really 10 years old, it should have been produced near launch, which could probably be the reason for this. Nintendo later would change the dvd readers for subsequent Wiis after Smash Bros Brawl started giving problems, but those early ones can be annoying.

As others have said, hacking would be the easiest and probably best thing to do as having several backups ready at any time is quite comfy.

You could also replace the reader (I have no experience with that, as my system works fine), but I've been told that if you wanted to change it, you should look at a site like this one: https://www.wiidrives.com/list to check which drive your Wii is using, as there are several different boards and chips used through the console's life.

For example my red Wii seems to use a GC2-D4 (European Wii LEH7012), which is different (just like the board) from early Wiis and I guess is the most modern one, looking at that site's list. That said, probably someone with knowledge about that would give you better info than me.

After all, if you wanted to make your own backups you would need a drive that works, or find a second Wii...

I also agree with liketech3475 about getting a new system. It could be easier than changing the drive, although she couldn't transfer VC/Wiiware games from one system to another if she had any.

If you go Wii hunting, you should check the model number (that link above can be useful) so you can avoid other early Wiis!

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
home-made cleaning kit, though if she uses the Wii alot, the laser is probably dying.
Will let her know about this. Thanks :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just a thought but... Just liketech3475 said, and If I recall correctly, very early Wiis had a weaker dvd reader (because at first it wasn't planned to use dual-layer dvds), and if that Wii is really 10 years old, it should have been produced near launch, which could probably be the reason for this. Nintendo later would change the dvd readers for subsequent Wiis after Smash Bros Brawl started giving problems, but those early ones can be annoying.

As others have said, hacking would be the easiest and probably best thing to do as having several backups ready at any time is quite comfy.

You could also replace the reader (I have no experience with that, as my system works fine), but I've been told that if you wanted to change it, you should look at a site like this one: https://www.wiidrives.com/list to check which drive your Wii is using, as there are several different boards and chips used through the console's life.

For example my red Wii seems to use a GC2-D4 (European Wii LEH7012), which is different (just like the board) from early Wiis and I guess is the most modern one, looking at that site's list. That said, probably someone with knowledge about that would give you better info than me.

After all, if you wanted to make your own backups you would need a drive that works, or find a second Wii...

I also agree with liketech3475 about getting a new system. It could be easier than changing the drive, although she couldn't transfer VC/Wiiware games from one system to another if she had any.

If you go Wii hunting, you should check the model number (that link above can be useful) so you can avoid other early Wiis!

Well, I have no experience with this. But apparently, this is the reader her Wii has:
Captura.PNG

Not sure what that means though :P
Anyway, I told her before she gave me her Wii that the best solution should be hacking and using an external hard drive in order to run backups.
I think that she wants to play Gamecube games, because she told me something about playing Super Mario Sunshine.
She also has a Wii U, so, I'm guessing that her best choice is either buy a new Wii, or hack the Wii and buy an HDD.
I don't think she'll bother about buying stuff just to play a Gamecube Game. Wouldn't be cheaper just to buy a Gamecube?
But, thanks anyway.
We all agreed that hacking is the solution :yay:

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
UPDATE/FIXED:

Well, not "Fixed" literally.
Just found that she has Metroid Prime Trilogy and Metroid Other M save data on her Wii.
Thing is that, those games uses dual-layer DVD's.
And since her Wii is old, it was just a matter of time :creep:

So, I guess that her solution should be to hack the system and buying an External Disk.
Or buy a new wii.
Or hack her Wii U and using Nintendont.
Haha...
:lol:

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
my wii same like that. realy the ios the problem? because when i buy wii cleaning kit or new wii dvd reader my wii still not repair because ios problem...
so i play wii games with hdd, sadly, now i cannot play ctgp-r again:cry:

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my wii same like that. realy the ios the problem? because when i buy wii cleaning kit or new wii dvd reader my wii still not repair because ios problem...
so i play wii games with hdd, sadly, now i cannot play ctgp-r again:cry:

He didn't say there was an IOS problem. The earliest Wii batches had issues with dual-layer discs. This thread is about actual retail discs, not ISO images for hacks.

LightDawnLegend

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My cousin gave me her White Wii, you know, one of the first ones out there.
She told me if I could fix her Wii, because is not reading anything.
When inserting a Disk it makes some noises before throwing the message:
WiiDiscError-56a6ac7e3df78cf7728fa8c0.jpeg

Have you tried booting the game with USB loaders *they can also boot wii disks at default settings?

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
no usb loader gx, wii flow, cfg usb loader, only can play game from sd/usb. You can boot your wii game with neo gamma. But your wii laser must work properly.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hack her wii and have everything load though USB :P

Also if you are getting logged out of GBAtemp, make sure you have a steady wifi connection. Switching networks is a common issue with me and I have to log in every time.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Just curious: What was the game that was played last on the above mentioned system? My Wii's disk reader was killed playing Call of Duty Black Ops (but I also played a lot of Smash prior to that, so...).

Gizametalman

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just curious: What was the game that was played last on the above mentioned system? My Wii's disk reader was killed playing Call of Duty Black Ops (but I also played a lot of Smash prior to that, so...).
Last game she played was:
- Metroid Trilogy
- Metroid Other M
Both of them has double layer disks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"