Wii won't power on!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by westcor, Feb 3, 2009.

Feb 3, 2009

Wii won't power on! by westcor at 3:46 PM (8,260 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. westcor
    OP

Newcomer westcor Newbie

United States
    Guys, first off let me tell everyone how awesome this site is!
    A quick run down of my wii.
    Was at 3.3 with Backuploader gamma installed.
    Downgraded to 3.2 with starfall + BUloader gamma installed.
    Now to the problem, I try to turn on my wii yesterday and I get nothing.
    No yellow light, no green light, no red light; the damn thing just won't start.
    So of course I move to multiple different outlets, and nothing?
    Then all of a sudden it just turns on (well off cause the light is red), but its powered up again.
    I thought I was going crazy but I had a few people over who witnessed it as well.
    Has anyone else seen this problem, and if so is it related to any of the softmods?

2. fishears

Member fishears fishears

United Kingdom
    I've not seen that before but my Wii sometimes won't power on.
    I have 3.2e cIOSCorp & Preloader .27.
    If I power off while in the Preloader menu, I get the orange light on my Wii but it won't power up again unless I unplug the power cable.

3. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Nah shouldn't relate to softmod. Hardware problem is the best bet.

4. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    I do have seen it, on my nephew┬┤s Wii, same as you suddenly it worked again, no mod at all on that Wii BTW...!!! [​IMG]

5. Shinigami Kiba

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    The sometimes does this after a power outage or I dunno, at random at times.
    It happened to me around July I think last summer, a guy on LL told me to just unplug the power cord from the Wii and unplug the power cord from the socket and leave it like that for some 10 minutes, then plug everything back the way it was.

Believe it or not, as unlikely as that seemed it actually worked and my Wii has worked fine ever since.
    Well last week the controller stopped workin, dunno why it just did, I did the same and dang thing fixed itself again.

The Wii is weird like that sometimes, I don't think it's a hardware problem or anything, just does weird stuff like that from time to time.

6. westcor
    OP

Newcomer westcor Newbie

United States
    Interesting, thanks a lot for the input everyone; I was gonna be so pist if I had to send in my Wii that soon (like 4 months since I bought it)
    I will test again when I get home, but it looks like its working now....

7. kitt050383

Member kitt050383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have actually had this problem it is most likely your power supply for the Wii!
    The Wii's power supply has a 3amp fuse in it that is very easy to blow if not properly shutdown or if your prone to surges/power outages in your home! Chances are your fuse is going and needs to be replaced.

But please if you are going to replace do not replace it with a bigger one that is dangerous replace it with the same type and rating!!!!

To replace the fuse all you need is a nut or hex drivers and a simple 3 amp fuse.
    or you could just get what I personally feel is a better power supply for the Wii by NYKO
    Wii Power Adaptor -> http://www.amazon.com/Wii-Power-Adaptor-Ni...D4QW6BYPEQ34AA9

-Kitt050383

8. gumbug

Newcomer gumbug Newbie

United States
    This has happened to me also, before I installed homebrew. It usually happens if there's a power failure of some sort like the others said.

I just unplugged my Wii for like an hour / 30 minutes, and it worked fine after.

9. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    well actually this can be like an air bubble in a hose (but in electrical translation) so you can just unplug the AC and press the power button for 30 secs so the entire electricity inside the Wii gets drained...!!! [​IMG]