Wii video card broken

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by mummy001, Jun 26, 2011.

Jun 26, 2011

Wii video card broken by mummy001 at 5:13 AM (2,705 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. mummy001
    OP

Newcomer mummy001 Newbie

Australia
    Hi i have a wii that is out of warranty. The kids turned it on to find that nothing came up on the tv screen. The wii is not modded (or soft modded). The wii turns on (the light goes green i can insert disc's) but nothing shows up on the tv it is just black. We dont get any sound either. I tried connecting it to the tv via component leads thinking the av leads were buggered but alas still nothing. I am about to send it to nintendo for repair but i was wondering if i could get the game saves off it somehow before sending it to be fixed. I assume when they fix it (most likely a new motherbord will be needed) i will lose all the saved games (my kids will not be happy).....I was just hoping someone could let me know if i will lose the game saves. Thanks

2. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    You peobably wont loose your save games.

Ironicly, if you had softmodded your wii, it might be repairable...
    Also why ask these questions on a site like gba temp?

Better ask via Nintendo.

3. mummy001
    OP

Newcomer mummy001 Newbie

Australia
    I asked here as i thought someone may have had the same issue. As you would know nintendo are not exactly helpfull when they are on the phone and you try to ask questions. Untill they figure out what is wrong with it they can not tell me about the saved games. I just wondered if any one else had replaced the mainboard/motherboard and still had the game saves. Also this site is one i come to all the time to get answers for lots of things regarding kids ds, dsi, sp. I noticed you had a section on the wii so i posted. I hope thats not a crime.....Thanks

4. Comrade Cough

Newcomer Comrade Cough Advanced Member

United States
    It's not a crime, forums like this just a get a lot of drive-by posters that ask about a problem, leave no information, and then never come back.

Are you sure your kids didn't install something on to it that may have caused it to brick? They might just be scared to tell you that they were trying to hack it, and it bricked. Either way, the only way I can see you recovering this is:

1) Somehow some way, bootmii/priiloader was installed before this happened. Hold the reset button down when you turn it on, if nothing happens in about 10seconds, then more likely then not nothing is going to happen.

2) Grab a set of tri-wing and phillips head screwdrivers, a bead sorting tray, pen, paper, and a tear-down guide to take it apart, you may have a hardware fault or short some where. You may be able to just take it apart, put it back together and make it work (A wire might be loose, or something is touching and shorting out and easily fixed by putting it in its proper position)

3) forking over that awesome new aussie cash you have and
    3a) buy a new Wii.
    3b) Pay some one to 'try' and fix your current wii.
    3c) Take it in the trumpet and send it to Ninty. Also Ca$h. And be careful, Ninty likes to charge a pretty penny if they detect software tampering.

5. mummy001
    OP

Newcomer mummy001 Newbie

Australia
    Just updating status. My wii had a faulty circuit board. nintendo replaced it for me as it was a known fault.

6. gbalight

Newcomer gbalight Member

United States
    How much did they charge you? My wii exhibits the same problems, and when I put in the info at their repair site, it says "$75 plus tax & shipping". A "known fault" even out of warranty sounds like they should charge less than the $75, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part [​IMG]

7. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    you'll prob lose your saves when this happened to me they didn't even bother to fix it they just gave me a new wii how do i know? the last one had a skin on it [​IMG]

8. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    Did you have WiiConnect24 enabled all the time? Which color did the LED have when the Wii was "off"?