Hacking Wii U System Update 5.0 released

masterchan777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Wii_U_GamePad_-_White_1.png

Nintendo has released a major system update for Wii U, bringing the firmware version up to 5.0.0.

One of the major features introduced in this update is the quick start menu. Which allows players to start playing games without having to encounter the menu screen.

• A Quick Start Menu is now displayed when users press the GamePad POWER Button or HOME Button to power on the Wii U
    • Users can start recently played or newly installed software directly from the Quick Start Menu (*1)
  • Wii U GamePad Alerts (special notifications from Nintendo) can be displayed on the GamePad when the Wii U is powered down
    • Users will be notified with an audio ringtone when a new GamePad Alert is displayed
    • GamePad Alerts that have been received can also be viewed through the Quick Start Menu (*2)
Changes to Standby Functions:
  • System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby
Changes to the Wii U Menu:
  • The User Settings screen now displays when users select their User Mii from the Wii U Menu
  • The design and layout of the Users Settings screen has been updated
    • This includes the ability to switch the active user from the User Settings screen
Changes to System Settings:
  • Quick Start Menu options have been added to Power Settings
    • Wii U GamePad Alert options are located within the Quick Start Menu options
Changes to the HOME Menu
  • A Notification icon is now available on the HOME Menu, allowing users to launch the Notifications feature from the HOME Menu
Improvements to system stability and usability:
  • Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience
(*1) The Quick Start Menu is only displayed when the Wii U GamePad POWER or HOME Buttons are pressed. Other controllers, such as the Wii Remote Plus and Wii U Pro Controller, will continue to power on the Wii U
(*2) Wii U GamePad Alerts are different from the notifications received via the Wii U Notifications feature. Wii U GamePad Alerts settings can be changed via Power Settings located in System Settings.

UPDATE: Crediar has confirmed that this update does NOT fix any known vulnerabilities in the WiiU web browser.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: BIFFTAZ

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does kill homebrew on the vWii at all, or affect it in any other way. Luckily I can bypass the update by going into vWii by holding the B button. Anyone confirm anything adversely affected?

loco365

Trophies
XP
I'm not completely agreeing with the automatic installation of system updates when the system is powered off, not gonna lie...

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not completely agreeing with the automatic installation of system updates when the system is powered off, not gonna lie...

Yet another reason to just unplug the system when you're done using it. Fuck standby, not like it makes the system boot faster or anything worthwhile.

D

Deleted User

Just saw this on my RSS feed. Thank you for the fast start feature.

Has anyone already loaded up the 5.0 FW and seen if vWii is still working?

Edit: vWii is okay - no changes. New quick launch feature requires standby enable. So if you care about your FW version, disable your network access.

WiiU may be unsafe due to the browser being upgraded. If you care for a WiiU exploit, you may want to wait.

Lostsam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't download it if I were you, since on the changelog it says

System updates will now automatically install after download when the Wii U is in Standby

Which sounds pretty dangerous for any future possibility of homebrew.

D

Deleted User

Perhaps they removed the option for the update check. I had mine set to disable searching for updates while in standby. Though to be honest, I don't leave the WiFi enabled. I just enable it when I want to go to the e-Shop and have to download the FW anyways.

I was more just curious if the hacked vWii still works since 4.1

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just saw this on my RSS feed. Thank you for the fast start feature.

Has anyone already loaded up the 5.0 FW and seen if vWii is still working?

Thanks for the reply! I don't want to lose future exploits for Wii U, I will stay in 4.1.0.

EDIT: I read system menu 5.0 change vWii channel, could it fix the bug that you allow to skip updates when you access the vWii mode?

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't like that it will install a firmware update when the WiiU is in standby. Eugh. Disabled standby while on 4.x

mat128

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Standby was added in April last year and can be toggled on and off in the system settings. If you have it off, it doesn't download anything from the internet without your permission.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked from someone else, version 5 IS safe, for both Wii U and vWii, but I don't like the looks of that installing new versions while the system is idle, so it's your choice if you want to update, it adds the quick boot menu and the people I had check say it's actually running faster because of it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taco Tuesday and Wetback Wednesday Thott Thursday Freaky Friday lol