Wii U+ - Plans for console mod

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by DarkWrath669, Dec 22, 2014.

?

Data through a hub or through original ports?

1. Data through original port pins.

50.0%
  2. data through hub.

50.0%
  1. DarkWrath669
    OP

DarkWrath669 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2014
    Hampshire
    Hello All,

I'm a somewhat experienced console modder.
    My favourite thing is taking external accessories and mounting them internally for a cleaner console.
    Have done various mods in the past, from chips to internal wavebird adapter on wii etc.

I wanted some feedback and input on the following plan I have.

Take the internals from a Wii U, Wii U power pack, LAN adapter, Gamecube adaptor and USB HDD with a USB HUB and mount them all internally into an ITX case with a large decent fan for adequate cooling.

This would be to give larger storage, and LAN and Gamecube ports built in for a nice tidy clean console.
    Making it a bit larger, but this won't be a problem.

I have two plans attached.

One would be to have everything running off the hub and the hub draw power from the direct power input. I can work out power regulation etc later. This would only use a single USB port's pins on the board.

Do people think that running through the hub could affect any latency for the Gamecube adapter and LAN adapter for input lag etc?
    through HUB.png
    The second would be for the data of the accessories to each connect to their dedicated USB port on the pins on the board and the power to come from the hub, which just connects to the power source to supply power to accessories.

I'd do this to avoid lag mentioned as the foot note to the first method above.
    through original ports.png
    Additionally, if I wired these devices straight to the pins on the board, do we think this would occupy the capacity of the ports, or would they still be functional for connecting additional external devices?
    As far as I am aware with USB host controllers, they can happily piggy back devices up to something like 128 devices as soon as power ampage isn't over drawn?

2. gudenau

gudenau Never a unique idea

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Technically a hub would cause some lag, but not much. (Less than a frame)

Edit:
    Since you are putting it in an PC case, I think you should use a PC PSU to power the Wii U, HDD, and GCN adapter.

Edit 2:
    The ports only support one device, the hubs have special circuitry to split the USB port into multiple.

3. shinkodachi

shinkodachi On permanent leave

Dec 31, 2013
    Finland
    Ha...! This idea is great. Some ideas if I may add:

1. Can you figure out a way to run the system off one power socket? Two AC adapters for the system and the Wii U GamePad charger is troublesome. It'd be cool to have a cable you can connect to the console directly (this would require dismantling the charger and using a custom connector at the console end, e.g. 8P8C).

2. Supply standby power from a USB port for charging the Wii U Pro Controller.

4. gudenau

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    I say use a regular PC power supply, he is sticking it in a normal pc case anyway.

5. DarkWrath669
    OP

DarkWrath669 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2014
    Hampshire
    I may look into running it off a PC power supply, but the problem there is they are normally in a standby state and require an startup input for them to send their 12v output. Wouldn't want to risk causing any spikes etc.

I think it'd be easier to run the Wii U off it's standard power supply mounted in the case, and run the USB hub power off of this too. As far as I know I can get a usb game-pad charge cable and run this from the console. This would give a single AC adapter solution... could even maybe mount the charge cradle on the top.

This would probably be a lot more power efficient.

6. gudenau

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Have a PSU with a switch, and bridge the on pin. There should not be any spikes so big it kills the console.