Hacking Wii U Piracy Discussion

billzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I could download a car, I would do it without a second thought! I'm not sure what kind of message that kind of propaganda is trying to convey. I mean... come on! If I could pirate a car at literally no (direct) cost to the creators, I would download thousands of Ferraris or whatever and give them to people who couldn't ever buy them anyway. Other than like "contaminating their brand" or however specialty businesses put it, they haven't actually lost money on the piracy. Of course, it is lamentably not possible :(

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
If I could download a car, I would do it without a second thought! I'm not sure what kind of message that kind of propaganda is trying to convey. I mean... come on! If I could pirate a car at literally no (direct) cost to the creators, I would download thousands of Ferraris or whatever and give them to people who couldn't ever buy them anyway. Other than like "contaminating their brand" or however specialty businesses put it, they haven't actually lost money on the piracy. Of course, it is lamentably not possible :(

So you'd torrent 3D printer blueprints?

Also, (Devils Advocate here, I agree with you), but what if it DID cost money to create the cars and download them?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you'd torrent 3D printer blueprints?

I'm gonna side with FPS here, in the sense that we live in a world where that just isn't hypothetical anymore. As long as an object is purely mechanical and made of plastic/wood, I could literally go to my high school's shop and print/laser cut whatever the heck I want, as long as I have a virtual 2D or 3D mock-up of it. So say I wanted to get a cousin a small plastic toy (meaning I would have been in the interest of buying it anyway), but found the original mock-up online for download; I could 3D print it, no matter how complex it is in less than six hours (bar electronics, but 3D-printable copper and gold contacts are being developed as we speak, so that's not far off). So the company has just lost a sale from me, even though I have gotten a product that is close to, if not surpassing the quality that they have put out, directly from their own patent.

Now imagine this WAS possible with cars. Think of how many people would opt to just "obtain" cars rather than get them from dealers at "ridiculous" prices. It would halt the auto industry, and since they would have extra stock on the lot not being sold, prices for those that WOULD buy them legally would be wildly inflated to compensate

Food for thought

Reactions: Nym5

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I support the full legalization of all non-commercial copying of digital content, software, games, music, firmware everything.

Call me an extremist if you want, but to me, sharing content freely isnt theft at all. The only theft taking place is when people start profiting from it.

Commercial piracy results in pirates literally profitting off the authors of the content without paying saod author(s), rightholder(s) etc. In effect these "bootleggers" are literally robbing the creators and lining their own pockets.

When people trade or share content for free, its free marketing for the content. Loads of people pirate solely for the "try before you buy" aspect. If they really like the content in question many people will actually go and pay for it after the fact, but if they never got to try it for free the authors etc wouldve lost that legitimate sale.

Furthermore content=culture, and you cant "steal" culture by spreading it, that argument makes no sense lol.

Also 1 pirated copy doesnt equal 1 lost sale, one for the reason above, but also because many are unable to afford the content legally (especially in certain regions) so if they pirate stuff because they cant afford it anyways then no sale is lost. You cant lose a sale, if there never was one in the first place.

Finally, last but not least, the very idea that copying data equates to theft is based on false capatalistic ideals.

If i were to copy something freely i gain the content but the person i copied it from, still has their copy. However, if i were to physically steal something, the original owner no longer has it. They lose out and only the thief gains from it.

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've said this before, but I'll say it again; ethics is completely inapplicable when it comes to the subject of money and abundance. When the crops were burned down during the 1939 Agricultural Adjustment Act amidst a backdrop of millions of starving Americans, it was an attempt to create artificial scarcity for no other reason than to please the money gods in the most barbaric, backwards fashion imaginable.

Allowing the monetary mindset to control our sense of ethics will only lead us to believe that artificial scarcity practices (such as DRM or agricultural subsidies) are ethical, when in fact it's completely the other way around. Embracing our capabilities for data abundance via technological reproduction is what will allow us to progress as a species, rather than keep ourselves in a mindset that holds all of us back.

Don't let money control your mind. Soon, each of us will have the ability to produce our own goods while automation does our jobs for us. Let your mind free.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I support the full legalization of all non-commercial copying of digital content, software, games, music, firmware everything.

Call me an extremist if you want, but to me, sharing content freely isnt theft at all. The only theft taking place is when people start profiting from it.

Commercial piracy results in pirates literally profitting off the authors of the content without paying saod author(s), rightholder(s) etc. In effect these "bootleggers" are literally robbing the creators and lining their own pockets.

When people trade or share content for free, its free marketing for the content. Loads of people pirate solely for the "try before you buy" aspect. If they really like the content in question many people will actually go and pay for it after the fact, but if they never got to try it for free the authors etc wouldve lost that legitimate sale.

Furthermore content=culture, and you cant "steal" culture by spreading it, that argument makes no sense lol.

Also 1 pirated copy doesnt equal 1 lost sale, one for the reason above, but also because many are unable to afford the content legally (especially in certain regions) so if they pirate stuff because they cant afford it anyways then no sale is lost. You cant lose a sale, if there never was one in the first place.

Finally, last but not least, the very idea that copying data equates to theft is based on false capatalistic ideals.

If i were to copy something freely i gain the content but the person i copied it from, still has their copy. However, if i were to physically steal something, the original owner no longer has it. They lose out and only the thief gains from it.

Solid rebuttal! I think that that was a very well written post, and the only thing that I can really argue with at this point (mainly for the sake of being the Devil's advocate) is that piracy is really not so much an issue of stealing as companies losing money because their physical content is sitting collecting dust in a warehouse that they are paying to keep if units aren't being moved. This really isn't as big of an issue with digital downloads, which is why I think that game companies are starting to move in that direction; they don't have to pay for packaging and their content doesn't sit on a pallet for months on end if sales are slow

BossRoss93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i forgot Super mario world, im not really interested in the other two, i think its a shame that wiiu doesnt get new and better games like: GTA V, fifa 15, Dragon ball xenoverse, street fighter, motal kombat,naruto and other games because a lot of people like me is interested in getting some of this games for wiiu. With more games like this im sure more will buy a wiiu and more people would be excited to pirate wiiu

How in the fuck does that help Nintendo? You have to be a joke account.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
How in the fuck does that help Nintendo? You have to be a joke account.

Why would he be a joke account? His point is valid since those are good and popular games.
I too would like to have them on WiiU, even if I know that wouldn't happen.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would he be a joke account? His point is valid since those are good and popular games.
I too would like to have them on WiiU, even if I know that wouldn't happen.

Agreed. Especially since the Wii U was initially marketed as the "GameCube 2" (a gift to the hardcore players)

Reactions: Rizzorules

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wait 400 years for starships with replicators and holodecks!

And hookers! In fact forget the replicators and holodecks!

But yeah, if you could buy blank cars for a small percentage of what a real car cost, then download and burn specific desirable models to the blank, why wouldn't everyone do it? Of course everyone would be downloading cars.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And hookers! In fact forget the replicators and holodecks!

But yeah, if you could buy blank cars for a small percentage of what a real car cost, then download and burn specific desirable models to the blank, why wouldn't everyone do it? Of course everyone would be downloading cars.

Get ready to start designing your own cars, then, because no one, aside from a few truly good people who want to better things like fuel efficiency for the future generations and such, will want to design them for no return

Reactions: Fpsrussia117

jcote1321

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Get ready to start designing your own cars, then, because no one, aside from a few truly good people who want to better things like fuel efficiency for the future generations and such, will want to design them for no return

Oh yeah, just like that time when Linux put Microsoft out of business, then Google released Android and Apple's stock dropped to like half it's previous value in a month. Oh wait, that didn't happen. Companies always find ways to make money, they just need to be willing to evolve with the times. Mark my words, in a couple of years when consumer affordable 3D printers become available, toy vendors like Lego are going to freak out because you'll be able to download Lego designs and print them at home for 1/10th the price of the retail set.

Reactions: zecoxao

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work