Hacking Wii U PAL vs NTSC U

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some people might allready know this but PAL Wii U users might be suffering Nintendo's choice to not support native 480p support for Wii games. WHEN CONNECTED VIA HDMI.
The wii u does not support upscaling with component connection and lets your tv handle it in those cases.
Wich looks like a bug to me....

It is not that the Wii u does not output in this format but, it a matter of the scaling abilty the Wii u provide before outputtin in 1080p ( upscaled for Wii games )
This method results in artifacting ( scanlines because of interlaced signal )
Though keep in ind that some PAL game might not be able to be forced to a ntsc signal.

NTSC user however do NOT have these problems.

Workaround for PAL users are when using a Backuploader, to force the video outout of the game to NTSC 480p.
Or use Gecko os for retail wii discs.
This way the signal will be properly upscaled in 1080p with no atrifacting.

OHHHHHH NINTENDO WHY??

Turboloader

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Workaround for PAL users are when using a Backuploader, to force the video outout of the game to NTSC 480p.
Or use Gecko os for retail wii discs.
This way the signal will be properly upscaled in 1080p with no atrifacting.
Didn't knew that, thanks.

You're speaking out my thoughts.
It's not fair for the PAL Wii U owners, I hoped it would be solved with an Update, but it's 9 month after release and still no change.
I wish I had not bought the console on the releasedate, it's not worth it. With Wind Waker HD I would have bought it, but I would have no reason til this.

So long, I own a Wii and love the Zelda and Metroid series.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Hielkenator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Didn't knew that, thanks.

You're speaking out my thoughts.
It's not fair for the PAL Wii U owners, I hoped it would be solved with an Update, but it's 9 month after release and still no change.
I wish I had not bought the console on the releasedate, it's not worth it. With Wind Waker HD I would have bought it, but I would have no reason til this.

So long, I own a Wii and love the Zelda and Metroid series.
No problem,

Most user probably would not notice it.
But once you start noticing it is annoying as hell.
It's got something to do with the way WiiU upscales convert PAL signal as it expecting a 576i signal.
MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

Note worthy is that the Wiiu only does this when you connect via HDMI.
If you connect your Wiiu via Component upscaling is handled by your tv.

AGAIN makes no sense.....

They did it before though in the past.
The notorious Zelda TP PAL vs NTSCU.
PAL 480p game is horrible smudgy compared to the NTSCU version.
It's a wel known bug en never got fixed by ninty.
Allthough the game is set to 480p it somehow manages to produce this smudgy picture due to bad video conversion.
Now the same is true, BUT FOR ALL PAL WII GAMES!!!

DAMN YOU NINTY!

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would like to know if this is happening to anyone else' vwii when playing wii roms. The game plays perfectly but the graphics just have this weir look. Kind of like there are lines going through some of the graphics. It doesnt happen when playing the wii rome on my normal wii. Just on the wiiu (from what I remember). It's hard to explain. The graphics just dont quite look the same......

alkar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laudern : i see what you mean. I noticed the same, although I never had a Wii so I can't compare. It's like vertical stripes on the screen, like a grid. You can notice it specially when you are close to the TV. When far, it's hard to notice it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What the hell...? :blink:

Okay, I admit I've never tried a wii game on a wiiu before (I've got a wii for that. With component cable). But that would be pretty lame. So I basically better hack the thing and force NTSC on my own games to get the same quality I would have had on my wii?

Smooth, ninty. Really freakin' smooth... :rolleyes:

(yeah, I could connect that component cable to the wiiu...but that would downscale my wiiu games. And swapping around isn't exactly fun either).

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I tried on my pal wii u set to output at 1080p but so far the only game that i tried that i can see it has fuzzy graphics is okami, all others look good (good as far as a 480 to 1080 upscale can be...) and crisp to me (If i set the wii u to 480p, the tv internal upscale is much worse than the wiiu's upscale quality). I tried several games on usb loader gx and changing from ntsc 480p to pal 480p or just 480p makes no difference in the image quality on my 46" samsung lcd.

Maybe i am not doing it correctly or just not noticing it?
I would like to see some photos of a tv running a game with and without the problem to see the difference.

Muyfa666

Trophies
XP
Country
Hielkenator: I softmodded my Wii U (vWii mode only of course) to force NTSC with Gecko OS to bypass this issue. However, I do not see any difference whatsoever. It looks good with or without forced NTSC.

This was tested with Skyward Sword. Will Twilight Princess perhaps show a difference?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It is better to let TV do upscaling and/or de-interlacing than letting Wii U does it. Most TV does a better job than console anyway.

Muyfa666

Trophies
XP
Country
It looks ok either way, so I guess my TV does a good job at upscaling it... I still use Gecko OS for region free playback of US retail games thou...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later