Augs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone-

I have missed out on all of the Zelda games since Ocarina of Time and would like to play a couple of the more recent ones. I was going to try to pick up a used Wii U or 3DS XL. What do you all think would be the better investment? My instinct is that the Wii U has access to more higher quality titles, but just want to double check... and maybe there are some new releases planned that I am not aware of.

I also really wanted to try the Monster Hunter game on 3DS.. so thats a lean in that direction. Let me know what you guys think.

BTW I already own a PS4, XBox One and a Vita.

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
I would say that a "new" 3DS XL model would be good for you. There's the new Pokemon coming in November. And if you go with an older model of the 3DS XL - people are selling right now for very cheap. Both of the Legend of Zelda ports are excellent too!

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
The Wii U may have "higher quality" titles than the 3DS (for example, you can play Smash in 1080p instead of 240p) but you may want to have a look at the number of interesting games.
I for sure would choose 3DS since it has more games I'd like to play than the Wii U. That's why I have a O3DS XL, a N3DS XL and a 2DS but no Wii U.

Augs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice - I have been looking at some purchase options for a 3DS XL. I didn't even realize there were 2 versions - a NEW 3DS XL and a 3DS XL. Is there any real difference? Is there any benefit of one over the other (especially if it comes to hacking the unit)?

Augs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So - right now Im leaning toward the 3DS. I'm thinking if I want to play the older GC games, I can pick up a used gamecube for fairly cheap. So I'ved decided to focus on just the exclusive titles for this one - and wow 3ds has a lot that I want to play.

Sooooo... anyone looking to get rid of one??

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the advice - I have been looking at some purchase options for a 3DS XL. I didn't even realize there were 2 versions - a NEW 3DS XL and a 3DS XL. Is there any real difference? Is there any benefit of one over the other (especially if it comes to hacking the unit)?
Yes and no.
The New 3DS (XL or not) is more powerful than the "Old" 3DS (XL or not). Which allows it to run Smash and MH games without rebooting (which allows using NTR with these games) or to record your screens while playing with software only, or have stable 3D instead of a prototype, or play exclusives such as Xenoblade and SNES games. It also adds an unusable C-Stick on the right side of the console. The Circle Pad Pro on the "Old" one is much more usable but doesn't work in Smash. That's for the yes part.
The "no" part is "do you care about the 'yes' part?".

Augs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO after shopping around a bit, it seems like the best deal is to just get a brand new 3DS XL from Amazon ($175 USD). I shopped around on EBay and checked the refurb units at nintendo.com, but this seems like the best deal. Then I will buy a few of the must-own carts used. Any other suggestions?

olku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
I would pick Wii U, it has better graphics and local multiplayer, also much better online multiplayer. Get the 3DS if you play on the go or want to play ALBW.
Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask are available on both, but 3DS versions are slightly better.
Wii U has The Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD and upcoming Breath of the Wild.
3DS has A Link Between Worlds, which is in my opinion is the best Zelda game, and Tri Force Heroes, which is not a true Zelda game.
Hyrule Warriors is available on both, Wii U version is better, but also not a true Zelda game.
Monster Hunter 3 is on both, 3DS has Montser Hunter 4.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would pick Wii U, it has better graphics and local multiplayer, also much better online multiplayer. Get the 3DS if you play on the go or want to play ALBW.
Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask are available on both, but 3DS versions are slightly better.
Wii U has The Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD and upcoming Breath of the Wild.
3DS has A Link Between Worlds, which is in my opinion is the best Zelda game, and Tri Force Heroes, which is not a true Zelda game.
Hyrule Warriors is available on both, Wii U version is better, but also not a true Zelda game.
A console will always have better graphics over a handheld so i wouldn't compare based on that aspect. 3DS also has local multiplayer as long as the other person also owns a 3ds system, ad hoc mode. Wii U probably has the better online play but most people probably use a wireless connection for the system which is a no no for online gaming.

I'd go for a 3ds but that's just me.

Last edited by cvskid,
Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Halvorsen

Trophies
Website
halcove.com
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina and Majora's Mask are not slight improvements in any way, haha. Graphics, atmosphere, 3D, framerate, time system (in MM), saving (in MM), some events, and FISHING!!!! Everyone knows fishing makes any game better.
Hyrule Warriors has more framedrops and less content than 3DS. Frame drops, I mean less, compared to the NEW 3DS.
3DS also has Generations and 4.

Last edited by Halvorsen,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends how much time you have for the games, if you have time to spare on in your house, get a console, if you don't, get a 3ds, they were invented for various reasons, while some games exist on both, they do have their exlusives that set them apart, mario kart 7 for 3ds, mario kart 8 for WII U, Both super smash bros has different content, Donkey kong tropical freeze for wii u and Donkey kong Country 3D returns. Zelda games? HD Remakes of game cube games for WII U and the hyrule warriors, And the N64 VC games. 3DS get N64 Remakes, and hyrule warriors, but also Link between worlds, and Triforce heroes. See? Excluvies. You have to give people a reason to buy your stuff.

If you have something that features exact same content on multiple systems, there no reason to get the other. Most ps4 games are also for PS vita, With very few exlusives between them. :P

Is a fact that 3DS has more games than wii u but the quality games of wii u was worth the time and effort of waiting. Either that or the marked of oversaturated download games. Not saying is all bad, just many are questionable of what they were thinking.

I personally have both but you should get which one you will use more. :)

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SO after shopping around a bit, it seems like the best deal is to just get a brand new 3DS XL from Amazon ($175 USD). I shopped around on EBay and checked the refurb units at nintendo.com, but this seems like the best deal. Then I will buy a few of the must-own carts used. Any other suggestions?
Ignoring all the comments that are trying to convince you to pick Wii U - including one I would've posted...

I'd say grab the 3DS from anywhere that the seller has a good rating. They're pretty reliable hardware. eBay may have units that come modded or with loadliin or whatever installed, so that may let you skip a step - your choice.

And I really say you should make A Link Between Worlds your first game. It is awesome.

blastdabomb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I own both (Wii U and New 3DS XL), and I can say that even at home, I still prefer playing the 3DS due to the games itself.

Even when my friends come over and we play party games, we tend to go for the Wii games because those are familiar to us.

There are so many games for the 3DS that are great for pretty much everyone from the Zelda games, Smash Bro, Kirby, even Cooking Mama for the ladies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: hi