Wii U NUSG (Nintendo Update Server Graber)?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by BurningDesire, May 2, 2016.

1. BurningDesire
    OP

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    Hi so I recently had a thought for a Wii U homebrew. A Automatic update downloader. What it can do is you can connect to the NUS on your wii U and download it all on your wii u. You can select the save directory and everything. That way you wouldn't have to go to the computer every time you wanted to update a game. What do ya'll think?

Edit: I MEANT grabber

Last edited by BurningDesire, May 2, 2016
  2. aracom

aracom GBAtemp Fan

Oct 1, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Look at Wupinstallers code, I honestly wouldn't want to mess around with that :P
    Also, I think there's just not enough space to store the update to install it(in RAM and on the NAND), I can't even install the smash update to my 8GB Wii U anymore, even if I delete everything else. You'd have to use a SD Card to store it temporarily.

3. kbmarinha

kbmarinha GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 21, 2009
    Brazil
    Hm ok.. so, can you do something like that or is it just an idea?

4. BurningDesire
    OP

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    Just an idea :P

5. Voxel

Voxel Fable Junkie

GBAtemp Patron
    Voxel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 27, 2015
    United Kingdom
    England, UK
    I could imagine that just downloading the update contents straight from the update server would be easy to implement, but then you have the download decrypting/extracting to try and implement as well. I could clearly see it being possible, as the Wii managed to get something similar to this. DOP-MII, I think it was...

6. fiveighteen

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    Perhaps a better* idea would be to have a PC program that stays open in the background and checks and updates games at regular intervals (hourly?). Once it downloads and decrypts the update, it checks for a connection to the Wii U and is sent to the SD card via FTPiiU at your command. Could have a setting for installing it to a Loadiine folder or to the SD:/install/ folder for WUP Installer.

The obvious issue with this, making it nearly impossible, would be the slow transfer speeds with many files over FTPiiU.

*my opinion