Wii u LAN faster than wifi?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Gettwobirdsstone, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Gettwobirdsstone
    OP

Gettwobirdsstone Triforce Guardian

Jul 1, 2012
    Canada
    Behind you breathing heavily
    I keep read mixed reviews about LAN for Wii u. Some forums say it's slower, some say it's was slow, but the usb's were updated to use LAN correctly. So is it worth it to buy a LAN adapter? I get about 2-3mbps speed on wifi.

Also, does anyone know of a reliable site to test my connection on the Wii u?

2. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Its strange aye, I don't have a LAN adapter but I cant imagine a usb 2 port supporting higher speeds than the built in wifi.

3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    LAN is always faster. But in this case, it depends on the adapter you choose to use.

4. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    A LAN adapter provides much better speeds than Wifi. The Official Smash Bros. videos recommend it.

5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    no shit lan is faster it's connected straight into your router. grab the OFFICIAL lan adapter for the wii it works with wiiu as well.

6. Sick Wario

Sick Wario Club Nintendo

Jul 24, 2006
    NNID: godrugal
    Gettwobirdsstone likes this.
  7. daniel26150

daniel26150 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 31, 2008
    Mexico
    Usb Lan adapter is faster that wi-fi and more stable, when I play online it never disconnect me on Lan, and in wifi I get lag even when the router is less than 3 feet away

Last edited by daniel26150, May 14, 2016
  8. rypaul

rypaul Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2009
    United States
    Miami, Florida
    As is says 2 posts above I purchased one of these
    http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Ethe...8&qid=1456429058&sr=8-1&keywords=ASIX+AX88772

I used to get disconnections in Xenoblade Chronicles X almost 5 or more times a play session. Since I aquired the adapter I have left the game running
    for 4 days straight and it only disconnect twice, once when they did server maintenance and the second time was when I have to reboot my router when I changed
    some settings in it due to a project I was working on.
    So basically using the USB wired adapter has been like night and day for me. I recommend that anybody using their WiiU online to stop whatever they are doing right now and order one
    of these adapters and STOP using their WiiU wirelessly. My wireless router is not even 5 feet from my WiiU so it's NOT a signal issue. I think they either have bad drivers or buggy chips in the console.

Further update.
    After leaving my game connected for several days I can say now that I have seen no
    disconnections after that last maintenance and the USB LAN adapter is a must for the WiiU where online is concerned

Last edited by rypaul, Feb 29, 2016
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I am not sure in this case but on the "LAN is always faster" crowd then I do have to say that wireless ac goes north of 400mbps (wireless N is not a slouch either) where it is still quite reasonable to see places without gig ethernet (be it because of switches, cables or simple lacking hardware) and thus be on 100mbps.

10. rypaul

rypaul Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2009
    United States
    Miami, Florida
    Well I am pretty sure we are discussing the WiiU here which has no AC wireless option. Regardless of what the specs say on paper
    about the WiiU's wireless interface the actual performance has issues that are resolved by using the LAN adapter.
    Also an interesting side effect I discovered today is that by not using the 2.4Ghz band due to the wireless being disabled in the WiiU
    that the range of my gamepad has increased noticeably. Whether is is because the wireless chipset is all in one and cannot handle both jobs
    or it's 2 modules and the one used for network causes interference I cannot say but so far the LAN adapter has only brought good things to
    my WiiU experience. Oh and bandwidth is only one issue to consider with networking. It is all well and good to have a big pipe but if the data
    is coming in in bursts every second or two your speedtest will show nice high numbers but your application that expects constant data flowing
    will cry and crash. This is what a lot of people think happens with the WiiU wireless card. It's flow of data fluctuates at intervals and as I stated
    it could very well be some kind of interference from the wireless gamepad

11. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    Nintendo wont crack out AC wifi until 2020 :D

12. Pain

Pain Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2015
    Mexico
    As far as i know, LAN it's the best option, dependends on the conditions tho. For example, an Ethernet cable running near electrical cables can cause interference, which represents as lag and low speeds. Not like it happens often but you should consider it. Ethernet FTW tho