Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone who hasn't lost their mind over this understood that when this is eventually released, a whole bunch of tools will be released alongside it ? If you read in between the lines of what Hykem said, as well as what smea is likely doing behind the scenes, it's inevitable. Smea bricked his wiiu presumably trying to rewrite or back up his nand. What do you think he's doing that for ? The dev's have a handle on this, and as with everything, it takes time. To all those crying about da warez, buckle up, you have nobody to blame except yourselves for allowing you systems to go beyond 5.3.2 .It is time for people to stop complaining and learn code and disassembly, myself included.
[from what I can gather] ... he's just in the process of back porting it and making some stuff to release alongside it so it's actually useful.
So I guess I haven't lost my mind... yet :P

Whatnoww

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You also missed my point :D
I know what he was referring to, in fact all those before him had the same point.
My point is, in order to update to 5.5.1 you'll need to unblock nintendo servers, by doing that you simply risk having an auto-update of a new firmware if nintendo releases one, which would potentially patch maybe not only yellows8 browser exploit.... Especially since people want to update to 5.5.1 mostly for eshop access or to download a dlc, or for a game update.... That's basically what I meant by "safe to update" is not a wise statement to make, by doing that you're literally opening the window for nintendo to get their new firmware in your console as soon as they release it. I already said if someone knows what he's doing, and can update offline then that you can call it safe, but at the moment it's not possible.

Summary, yes 5.5.1 is still vulnerable, but updating to it online is a risky move, not 100% "safe". I'm saying this cause I've seen it happen with people a lot before.
Isn't that?... Kind off obvious, though?... How else would you get the update?... Although I see your point. What if Nintendo releases an update at the same time? Then it's over. But doesn't Nintendo announce the update the moment they release it? Just curious.

oumoumad

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Isn't that?... Kind off obvious, though?... How else would you get the update?... Although I see your point. What if Nintendo releases an update at the same time? Then it's over. But doesn't Nintendo announce the update the moment they release it? Just curious.

Uhmm I don't know, seeing how many people got ninjad from 5.3.2 to 5.4.0 last time, it doesn't seem like so, also many people had their console updated to 5.5.1 when it was out just while checking eshop, they definitely had no idea there was an update coming and they were among the active members in hykem's iosu exploit thread, maybe there was some indication of a possible update, but the thing is, you can't expect laymen users to really be that much careful, when they see "safe to update/enjoy whatever" they would just go and do it not caring so much ^^. I could be just over estimating... But it's worth mentioning the risks before saying "it's safe".

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I wonder which procedure @smealum used to back up his Wii U NAND. Perhaps it involved a vWii NAND dumping app like what the other developers had mentioned with changing the code for the NAND bank that gets used during the backup process?

Last edited by I pwned U!,
Reactions: The Cringe

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Only from your first post about it. The spoiler in your second post still contains it.
(But not for long though now that I reported it!:teach:)
No, the one in the spoiler is really nothing, convert it and you'll get "Starbuck Keys".
Don't report things randomly!:teach:

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
No, the one in the spoiler is really nothing, convert it and you'll get "Starbuck Keys".
Don't report things randomly!:teach:
I apologize, I should have thought to check that first. The moderators can disregard the report that I sent.
image.jpg

Reactions: The Cringe

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Abood is just a little kid who wants attention. Everyone has the key already.
Just let him think he will be famous for once

Too bad that the hykem thread got closed, but oh well, it deserved that.
Update to 5.5.1, grab any game updates and eshop titles you need, then remove your net settings again. Job done.
Basically... or just setup the tubehax dns thingy :/

Last edited by DeslotlCL,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder which procedure smealum used to back up his Wii U NAND. Perhaps it involved a vWii NAND dumping app like what the other developers had mentioned with changing the code for the NAND bank that gets used during the backup process?

I think any previous attempts/methods to back up the WiiU NAND in this fashion ended up in a brick. Was he able to get back up and running? I haven't checked his twitter since it happened this weekend.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    QuarterCut @ QuarterCut: my reaction to such information +1