Hardware Wii U Gamepad won't boot

Miney

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yesterday, me and my father was playing MK8 when I suddenly noticed that the gamepad screen went pixelated and low framerate, so I grabbed my phone and recorded a bit. http://puu.sh/g9Ucw/abaede31f0.mp4

I thought it was bad connection at first, but I placed the gamepad right next to the Wii U with no difference, so I switched off the console and tried to start it. I can start the console itself with its power button, but the gamepad just keeps turning on the blue light and then fades away. (See this )
With no warranty left, I decided to open it up but saw no loose connectors.

Anyone know what I could do?

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Have you tried the charging cable connected to the GamePad? Or insert a new battery (official one so it won't ruin it for you)?

Maybe it's the battery that has died out and it turns off almost instantly. Amazon France has the higher capacity edition for 16€ which I picked up and swapped for the original that was a piece of shit, in the sense that I had to recharge every 2-3 hours.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Miney

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Charging cable just turns orange light on (Which stays on even if I'm not charging), and I could maybe borrow another battery from a friend next week.

Support.Nintendo.com says
"A blue LED that fades indicates that the Wii U GamePad is charged, but that they screen is not showing an image."

I find it strange if the screen would just give up after at max 50h gameplay and never been dropped...

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya trying another battery first would be a good idea, perhaps the battery is defective and the gamepad isn't getting enough "juice" to fully power it on. If a friend is willing to let you borrow his/her's go for it, before dropping the money on one in case that isn't the issue

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Did you try calling Nintendo tech support(if it is in Sweden)?

That would be Bergsala he'd have to contact.

Miney are you in Stockholm? I'll bring you a spare battery if that's what you need. I'm on vacation on 14.3.-15.3. and visiting a friend in Stockholm.

Miney

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be Bergsala he'd have to contact.

Miney are you in Stockholm? I'll bring you a spare battery if that's what you need. I'm on vacation on 14.3.-15.3. and visiting a friend in Stockholm.

I don't live in Stockholm, but thanks anyways. I'll ask my friend if I can borrow his battery, and worst case scenario I'll just have to use my pro controller instead.

Haven't tried calling Nintendo (Bergsala AB) as my warranty has run out. I currently don't have the money to buy/repair the gamepad.

Miney

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another battery didn't work, borrowed a gamepad from a friend and updated the console so I can play online.
I'll just give up on trying to fix it now, I will consider it a shiny brick..:sleep:
Thanks for your help.
~Miney

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another battery didn't work, borrowed a gamepad from a friend and updated the console so I can play online.
I'll just give up on trying to fix it now, I will consider it a shiny brick..:sleep:
Thanks for your help.
~Miney
If shipping to the US is worth it, im willing to repair it for free (or try lol), just pay shipping both ways :)

Miney

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If shipping to the US is worth it, im willing to repair it for free (or try lol), just pay shipping both ways :)
Nah, thanks anyways. I currently don't have any money to spare, and I think it would be quite costly to ship it.
At least I have pro controllers and wiimotes, so no shortage of controllers. ;)

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Nah, thanks anyways. I currently don't have any money to spare, and I think it would be quite costly to ship it.
Sad to read that it's faulty and you won't be able to use the Wii U for non-Wii U Pro Controller games (as most support mainly the GamePad over the WUPC).

A Wii U GamePad (used) costs £60 (83€) but then again you mind as well just buy a new Basic Wii U for 150€-170€ and then sell the console unit for 100€ whenever you want.

I wish the Wii U didn't need the god damn GamePad at all as the WUPC is far better and lasts over 80hrs.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, thought id offer to help out. I know what its like to be broke (college student lol).

If the shipping is too much, it only makes sense not to bother and just get a new/used gamepad, when you have the $

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mine's doing this, has anyone got any new ideas? It did it once before, but after fiddling with it (turning it off & back on a bunch, don't know if I did anything else) it went back to normal. This time nothing is budging it, I've unplugged the battery, ran it down, charged it up, etc. It's under warranty but I don't want to send the console in if I can avoid it because I don't want it updating, I don't know if I can get away with just sending the gamepad, the official troubleshooting walkthrough thing says I'll have to send both. Maybe I'll test a mate's gamepad with my console, then insist on only sending the gamepad because I don't want to lose my treasured saved games or some shit.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine's doing this, has anyone got any new ideas? It did it once before, but after fiddling with it (turning it off & back on a bunch, don't know if I did anything else) it went back to normal. This time nothing is budging it, I've unplugged the battery, ran it down, charged it up, etc. It's under warranty but I don't want to send the console in if I can avoid it because I don't want it updating, I don't know if I can get away with just sending the gamepad, the official troubleshooting walkthrough thing says I'll have to send both. Maybe I'll test a mate's gamepad with my console, then insist on only sending the gamepad because I don't want to lose my treasured saved games or some shit.

If your console's been modified in any way shape or form (even vWii) then don't bother sending it to Nintendo as your warranty is now null and void. If you haven't done any modding yet, then I would say go ahead and contact Nintendo, they should cover you if you're within the first year (unless manufacturer's warranties are longer in the UK, I know they certainly have better consumer protections laws then we do here in the states lol). Might as well get it fixed for free if you can. Even if they update your console (which they most likely will) more exploits will be available I'm sure....

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If your console's been modified in any way shape or form (even vWii) then don't bother sending it to Nintendo as your warranty is now null and void. If you haven't done any modding yet, then I would say go ahead and contact Nintendo, they should cover you if you're within the first year (unless manufacturer's warranties are longer in the UK, I know they certainly have better consumer protections laws then we do here in the states lol). Might as well get it fixed for free if you can. Even if they update your console (which they most likely will) more exploits will be available I'm sure....
I haven't even touched vWii yet. Afaik the only incriminating evidence on the console is the tubehax DNS setting and some browser bookmarks, so no actual software modification, I don't know whether they could get away with using that as an excuse to not repair. Also I should be able to remove them first if I borrow someone else's gamepad.

I'm still hoping I can get away with just sending in the gamepad, especially if I tell them I've proved the console works with a borrowed gamepad. We'll see I guess.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche