Hardware Wii U Electricty Problem

methamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just bought a used Wii yesterday. But there is a problem. When I plug the console's adapter in, it affects the homes all electricy. For example, my cable tv's display. And when I turn the console on, effect increases. I noticed that console's adapter is not original. Can it cause that? Or its about the console?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii U does use a power brick.

A badly designed power brick can and frequently will trip breakers/RCDs, throw loads of noise onto the circuit and otherwise mess with things.

Many cheap Chinese third party replacement supplies of any form are atrociously designed; pick an electronics forum, discussion place for electronics, electronics youtube channel... and you will find people pulling apart power supplies, USB chargers and all the rest for very good reason.

Short version yes it is a very real thing. Junk the one you have and buy a new one, preferably original or good third party (assuming such a thing exists). I don't know if the wii u had different models of supply offhand (the 360 did and a few other things have done that over the years) so you might want to check for that. If you were or know someone that is into electronics there might be some stuff you can do, I certainly would not suggest you buy something to try to negate it if for no other reason than something that badly designed in the first place is probably not going to be great for your wii u.

Reactions: methamz

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
well tripping MCBs (overload) doubtful .. and RCDS maybe a fair bit of earth leakage on those things but generally class 2 devices so .. hmm dunno... poor transformer quality id guess at.... maybe some supression may help... some sort of line filter maybe.. or better still a 1st party product.

methamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well tripping MCBs (overload) doubtful .. and RCDS maybe a fair bit of earth leakage on those things but generally class 2 devices so .. hmm dunno... poor transformer quality id guess at.... maybe some supression may help... some sort of line filter maybe.. or better still a 1st party product.

I want to buy a new one but I dont know where to buy. It seems that Nintendo sells those in US online store and I need PAL one.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you seen how cheap and nasty they are making some of these things these days? It has got worse in the last two or three years as well. Domain specific stuff that there is not much competition for is even worse -- there are good USB chargers out there as there are enough people doing them, how many Wii U things to do you really expect to sell or have broad feedback from?

I am OK with skimping on some suppression/filtering, maybe running components a bit harder than they are strictly rated for, maybe you don't do an anti tracking slot and just make sure the distance is good, not using feedback controllers to monitor things (assuming that is possible with the design) and just hope line voltage never goes too far either way, maybe having regulation be "a capacitor" or some such rather than something more well thought out. This ain't that though. In some ways I am impressed with that they do -- I would not have thought a capacitive dropper could do the kinds of currents we see them do, and how someone managed to pull of essentially a single transistor switch mode supply, much less thought it was a good idea, I will never know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Drug Mule Bot roll out!