Wii U 8GB or 32 GB

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by z00pster, Nov 8, 2016.

1. z00pster
    OP

z00pster Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2016
    In terms of running homebrew and backup games is there any advantage to a 32GB premium Wii U system vs the cheaper 8GB system? I'm presuming not given that the games / homebrew will load from either an SD card or USB hard drive?

Thanks

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    If you buy a 32 GB you need a 64 GB sd card to make rednand.
    If you buy a 8 GB you need 16 GB sd card to make a rednand
    Homebrew only loads from sd card. Games can run from usb/sd but usb is better

Last edited by xtheman, Nov 8, 2016
  3. z00pster
    OP

z00pster Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2016
    Thanks. Once rednand is created can a larger SD card size be used with the 8 GB model?

4. lembi2001

lembi2001 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 29, 2015
    Those are the minimum sizes required to make a usable redNAND but from my understanding you cannot remove the SD Card once redNAND is running.

5. DaBlackDeath

DaBlackDeath .::[ lone wolf ]::.

Dec 22, 2007
    Germany
    I have a 8GB WiiU and used a 64GB SD Card for redNAND. After that,free space on SD Card is approx. 52GB. What's more than enough for apps and "installs" for wupinstaller.

6. cybrian

cybrian Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    To be honest, I'd say the 8 GB model is a better purchase for a number of reasons:
    • 32+ GB USB flash drives are cheaper than the price difference between 8 and 32 GB. I have a 128 GB Sandisk Ultra Fit plugged into the back of mine.
    • USB flash drives are actually faster than the internal NAND in my experience, so games installed to USB load quicker
    • Less data to dump, smaller SD card required for redNAND (You can't at this time turn your redNAND into 32 GB, but the SD slot is even slower than the regular NAND anyway)
    The only other difference between the two models are that the 32 GB model is more expensive, comes with stands for the GamePad (can be purchased on eBay for very cheap) and a vertical stand for the console, and it's black.

7. Dvdxploitr

Dvdxploitr GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2008
    United States
    it doesn't matter...however, i think the black one looks better....I have the white one that i got at launch for Christmas....32GB one isn't enough space for many games anyway...so either way you're going to wind up using a USB hard drive unless you are just wanting one or two of the smaller games....