Hacking Wii switched regions?

amouge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so my parents wii has been softmodded for a couple of years now. I came over yesterday for my sisters birthday and my parents told me one of the kids was up there playing the wii, and never said anything but next time they tried to get on it everything is in japanese. The health screen menu, all channels, and all menu settings. The third area of the settings where language should be only has 2 settings instead of 3.

All menus work, so im pretty sure its not fully bricked, but homebrew channel is gone, and I dont read a lick of japanese. Does anyone have an easy solution to get this back to english. The wii is an NTSC-U (or whatever the american one is) it was bought in america and is origionally an english wii with NTSC.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Josh

Edit: Just ran upstairs and looked in the settings menu, it is in fact switched to the Japanese region. The firmware version is 4.2J

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Strange. The changed language is probably caused by some messing around with settings. But the HBC being gone...I hope it's not updated to version 4.3, because that update (as well as the previous one) will wipe out the homebrew channel. Does it say which firmware version you're on in the upper right corner of the first page of the wii settings (that's the icon with the monkey-wrench)?

I hope someone can navigate you into reversing the language. I'm on a 4.2 PAL wii, and the language settings on mine are layed out even different. My third page has 4 options: (from up to down) language, country, wii system update and Format Wii system memory.

Hope this helps anything.
unsure.gif

amouge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it tells me 4.2J which is the japanese regional firmware.

I will look at the sticky guide for resoftmodding, but will it be hard seeing as how I dont read japanese?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should be able to navigate yourself through the Wii menus pretty easily and the softmod apps are all in English so you'll be fine.

Edit: lol damn double post, stupid 502 gateway error

amouge

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
question is, do i get the NTSC-J or the NTSC update.zip to do the softmod? Obviously I want to go back to English, but will the NTSC work on a wii that has been switched to Japanese region?

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
U could switch the language 2 English instead of having it be in Japanese!! lol I would use/run DOP-Mii then region change it back 2 NTSC-U and Format the Wii System Memory then Update 2 SM 4.3U then downgrade back 2 SM 4.2U!! lol

EDIT: Then set up a STING so u know who the lil sh*t (lol) is that region changed the Wii!! lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvojgRvNriw