Wii Speak drivers for Windows

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by LuigiPT, Jul 5, 2011.

Jul 5, 2011

Wii Speak drivers for Windows by LuigiPT at 7:25 PM (3,994 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. LuigiPT
    OP

Newcomer LuigiPT Advanced Member

Portugal
    I've searched, I truly did, but couldn't find anything.

First of all, I don't need advise on buying another headset/microphone. I have the WiiSpeak already and would like to use.
    Me and my friends are planning on recording us playing games LOCALLY and instead of all using mics while we're in the same room it would be fun if we could get the Wii Speak to record our voices. Dunno how messy it would get with the sound TV, but we wanted to try.

But for all that to happen, we first need to get the Wii Speak to work so... Is there any change that there is some drivers out there?

2. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    I searched for this, like 4 months ago but I still couldn't find anything...

3. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Nope, the wii speak requires firmware to be uploaded to it by the games when they initialize it. So there's zero chance of finding some windows drivers that support it.

4. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    drivers pushing firmware to devices on init is not a new thing in the pc world
    there is no driver because nobody cared, not because of fw

5. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Of course it's not new, but the firmware is proprietary - it would be illegal to rip it out of a game and incorporate it into a driver.

6. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    How about an open source driver? If I recall correct, marcan made a driver for kinect.

7. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    that’s not uncommon either
    you don’t incorporate it but let the installer grab a copy
    that way you don’t have to distribute it and are out of legal trouble

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    The difference there was kinect didn't need a firmware sent to it to make it work, it has firmware on it. The driver there "just" needs to read input and send signals. Which can be done completely from scratch.

In this case, I thing you'd have to reverse engineer the firmware completely and then write your own alternative. Even then I don't know if it'd be possible.

9. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

I probably should have mentioned that it looks like the firmware is encrypted.

10. LuigiPT
    OP

Newcomer LuigiPT Advanced Member

Portugal
    So I guess the thing is, no luck, hem? Well, at least I tried, guess the Wii Speak is going to near the TV again.