Wii Speak drivers for Windows

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by LuigiPT, Jul 5, 2011.

1. LuigiPT
    OP

LuigiPT GBAtemp Regular

Nov 17, 2009
    I've searched, I truly did, but couldn't find anything.

First of all, I don't need advise on buying another headset/microphone. I have the WiiSpeak already and would like to use.
    Me and my friends are planning on recording us playing games LOCALLY and instead of all using mics while we're in the same room it would be fun if we could get the Wii Speak to record our voices. Dunno how messy it would get with the sound TV, but we wanted to try.

But for all that to happen, we first need to get the Wii Speak to work so... Is there any change that there is some drivers out there?

2. Gullwing

Gullwing homo

Dec 5, 2007
    Greece
    Behind You
    I searched for this, like 4 months ago but I still couldn't find anything...

3. tueidj

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    Nope, the wii speak requires firmware to be uploaded to it by the games when they initialize it. So there's zero chance of finding some windows drivers that support it.

4. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    drivers pushing firmware to devices on init is not a new thing in the pc world
    there is no driver because nobody cared, not because of fw

5. tueidj

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    Of course it's not new, but the firmware is proprietary - it would be illegal to rip it out of a game and incorporate it into a driver.

6. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    How about an open source driver? If I recall correct, marcan made a driver for kinect.

7. PsyBlade

PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Jul 30, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Sol III
    that’s not uncommon either
    you don’t incorporate it but let the installer grab a copy
    that way you don’t have to distribute it and are out of legal trouble

8. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    The difference there was kinect didn't need a firmware sent to it to make it work, it has firmware on it. The driver there "just" needs to read input and send signals. Which can be done completely from scratch.

In this case, I thing you'd have to reverse engineer the firmware completely and then write your own alternative. Even then I don't know if it'd be possible.

9. tueidj

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    I probably should have mentioned that it looks like the firmware is encrypted.

10. LuigiPT
    OP

LuigiPT GBAtemp Regular

Nov 17, 2009
    So I guess the thing is, no luck, hem? Well, at least I tried, guess the Wii Speak is going to near the TV again.