Wii softmodding questions..

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WinterAce, Jun 20, 2010.

Jun 20, 2010

Wii softmodding questions.. by WinterAce at 10:44 AM (1,228 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. WinterAce
    OP

Newcomer WinterAce Newbie

India
    Hi,

I recently softmodded my Wii and installed cIOS 36 (according to CompleteSoftmodGuide's page):
    I want to know what exactly is the difference between cIOS 36 and cIOS 249 (or the others). Is it the version number of the cIOS or is it something else? Also, how do I know what IOS and cIOS I have installed (if its not 36)?

Thanks!

2. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    The installer asks you what IOS to use to install the cIOS, the eventual result is the same.

What I mean with the line you quoted is:
    - If you've never install a cIOS before, choose IOS36 when it asks what IOS to use.
    - If you did already install a cIOS, choose IOS249

If you only just finished the Trucha guide, you won't have a cIOS yet so choose IOS36.

3. Drag0nflamez

Member Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    249 is the default slot for waninkoko cIOS.

Though I would recommend a fresh install.
    how to know your cios & ios - not needed.

Just stick with cIOSxrev19 - its supported by NeoGamma.
    Why on earth would you actually WANT to use 36 as base, since 38 is usual, and the default in rev19 is recommended...

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    This isn't about base IOSs, it's the IOS the installer uses to install the cIOS.

5. WinterAce
    OP

India
    But USBloaderGX asks for IOS/cIOS 222 or 249. So can I install one of these using DOP-Mii?

Also, why is 249 tagged as a STUB IOS (what is STUB)?

6. Drag0nflamez

Member Drag0nflamez GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    DOP-Mii wont install cIOS ;-) we have cIOS installers for that (waninkoko 249, hermes 222)
    249 is tagged as stub ios because it was a hopeless method of blocking cIOS. Stub is that all functionality has been removed from an IOS. IOS16 from the backup disc is a stub (i wonder how nintendo will currently run that one?) just like every other System Menu IOS that are not used anymore, so IOS70 (SM4.2) will get stubbed at the next SM version.

7. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    You have to remove the STUB IOS 249/250 and optionally 202/222/223 with DOP-Mii

But anyway, you use the cIOS installer to install IOS249 (which will be a cIOS, though we call it IOS249 and not cIOS249)
    As I said, the IOS you choose in the very beginning is only the IOS used to run the installer. It won't be the one that's installed. It'll always install the cIOS as IOS249.

8. wes11ph

Member wes11ph GBAtemp Fan

Afghanistan
    you may have a high firmware version of wii, that's why you got a stubbed 249. you can get the cios 222 instalsler here

and if you already trucha bug ios 36, you can use it to install other cios. like cios 249. but first delete the stub ios

9. WinterAce
    OP

India
    Wait, I'm getting confused....

So all DOP-Mii does is that it manages all the IOS/cIOS stuff on the Wii? So, if I need to run backups through a USB (my DVD writer is dead), what should I do to install USBloaderGX? Download and install 249/222 (suggest one please)? And then should I delete my current cIOS? If so, how would I do it? I'm seriously confused...

Also, how can I scrub the backup ISOs that I have?

10. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    -Blue-K

11. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    You don't, since that's not needed for anything (well, unless you want to keep em on your PC)
    They are scrubbed automatically when putting them on a USB device (use Wii Backup Manager to do that)

12. WinterAce
    OP

India
    Thanks, I understood the cIOS thing now. I hadn't deleted the STUB IOSs and so was completely confused.

Is scrubbing and trimming different? I mean I want to reduce the size of my backup cause I have a USB drive thats formatted in FAT32. I used WiiScrubber to scrub my backup, but that did not reduce the size. So then I trimmed the "scrubbed" backup and got it from 4.3 GB to 1.3 GB. But now that doesn't show up in USBloaderGX. I will try it on CFG-Loader.