Hardware Wii Modchip for Gamecube backups with specific requirements.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Had received the Wasabi Zero yesterday and unfortunately it was wasted money. WiiPower was right as usual!

- GameCube games with audio streaming plays garbled audio and playback of a correct sound only possible after pressing reset button
- Issues with some games (Eternal Darkness NTSC has endless repeated audio in very beginning (can be skipped); MGS Special Disk NTSC-J just gives black screen when you press something in menu)
- It's impossible to run import games without MultiGame ISO Creator (I guess it's because of 4.3)
- No 480p or 576i support, only 480i is available, all other modes just shows green or black screen (and again maybe because of 4.3)

...and of course NeoGamma doesn't works with installed modchip :D
Thanks for updating the thread, PiXi. Sorry to hear that the Wasabi Zero does not work as hoped.

Although I do not know for sure, I have an idea that proper audio streaming support requires the "secret" serial port which is used by YAOSM and the original Wiikey. The two chips that I tried (Wiizard, Wiikey 2) which used alternative connection points (like Wasabi Zero) had problems with audio streaming like you describe above. With a bit of work, it is possible to restore the missing connections and install YAOSM 3.2 in your Wii, but it would require some fairly meticulous work to access the cut pins on the drive controller IC.

This picture shows an original Wiikey installed on D2B with cut pins:
162m40.jpg

1) Downgrade from 4.3 to 4.1, looks like it's possible using DOP Mii -
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o2EqynOcZw
, it must help to restore RegionFree and maybe unlock 480p and 576i modes

2) Remove softmod after downgrade, maybe some bugs was induced by software modifications

...but if these two steps are just my pure fantasy then I must admit modchips are worse than even emulators and much worse than softmod and only chance to get fully working audio streaming is to get GameCube console! :D
From what I understand, you can install Priiloader to restore region-free support for 4.3. That would be easier and safer than downgrading.

The problem with using a modchip with Neogamma is that Neogamma mistakenly thinks that the backup disc is a retail disc. Normally Neogamma will allow playback of streamed audio on retail discs and mute streamed audio on backups. However, if the modchip messes up audio streaming, there's nothing Neogamma can do to fix it. A properly working modchip is necessary.

Another alternative is to find a DMS/D2A/D2B drive board (without cut pins) and install YAOSM 3.2 on it. That's what I did, as I could not find a working audio streaming solution with my original D2C2 board. As mentioned previously, I can confirm that YAOSM 3.2 plays all audio streaming games perfectly, just like a modded Gamecube.

PiXi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi wiismodrome! :)

Yeah, that's the tough installment, not sure that I can make it and that's the reason I had looked for solderness chips :)

Here the Wasabi Zero solder installation scheme for example:
wasabizero11.jpg

It's strange but despite completely different installation methods (Wiikey/YAOSM) and some problems WZ has possibilty to plays audio streaming correctly, I hear it! Just tested Eternal Darkness (NTSC) again but after applying FSTFIX with S and F (align+streamfix+fullsize) and it worked without obligatory MultiGameLoader in 576i mode (480p unfortunately still not working), endless repeated audio in the very beginning plays fine - no loop but the first gamepaly scene has garbled audio and reset doesn't help for this time. :D

So maybe is there a specific preparation process for ISOs?

And I start thinking that I need to virginize Wii to be sure that softmod is not an issue but I don't know what is the best way to do it. I have NAND backup so I think I must restore it through bootmii (installed as boot2)...

Hmm, it's looks simple:

you can install Priiloader to restore region-free support for 4.3
Yep, I have StartPatch already with RegionFree enabled.

Another alternative is to find a DMS/D2A/D2B drive board (without cut pins) and install YAOSM 3.2 on it.
Hmm... another $30-40... without any guarantees... How YAOSM 3.2 works with 4.3?

...but as i see here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Yaosm

Gamecube backup imports (partial support)

Wii backup imports (partial support)

It is very similar to Zero behavior...

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Not sure if any modchip supports 100% of import games. IIRC, YAOSM supports as many as possible. I don't think that a softmod should be messing up streaming audio. Just standard MIOS should be active when using the chip. So, it shouldn't be causing a problem.

As for Gamecube ISOs, it is very important that audio streaming games are perfect rips of the originals. If they have been shrunk, generally the streaming audio gets messed up. So, all I can suggest is try to use 1:1 rips.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
It's strange but despite completely different installation methods (Wiikey/YAOSM) and some problems WZ has possibilty to plays audio streaming correctly, I hear it! Just tested Eternal Darkness (NTSC) again but after applying FSTFIX with S and F (align+streamfix+fullsize) and it worked without obligatory MultiGameLoader in 576i mode (480p unfortunately still not working), endless repeated audio in the very beginning plays fine - no loop but the first gamepaly scene has garbled audio and reset doesn't help for this time. :D

I was about to type down this, you need anyway to do some sort of treatment to unscrubbed GC images, if they're scrubbed you'll have a lot of Audio Streaming garbled sound. Also
DON'T USE FULLSIZE WHILE BUILDING THE IMAGE, what I've been doing on my GC w/ xeno chip + Wiikey v1 on DMS Drive is:

Code:
FSTFIX.EXE t s gciso.gcm

Again, make sure you have a full size image with NOTHING ripped off/modified or you'll waste DVDs. Oh, and MultiGameIsoCreator 3.4.4f gives excellent results, as long as you put up to 3 images per DVD(softmod only, unsure if Wazabi will read the games merged into DVD FS), because Wiikey1 doesn´t like multiple games. That's a labor you'll have to perform.

--

@wiismodrome: that's a nice picture you've posted there. Those points are soldered right into the DVD Video chip (they don't rely on the DVD Drive bus flex..) so I guess the decoding is injected right into the very DVD Video chip

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
How YAOSM 3.2 works with 4.3?

Actually, I've downgraded to 4.1, though it wasn't really necessary. The only import discs I've tried are Japanese (I'm in North America), and they work fine.

Once again, if at all possible I'd suggest using 1:1 rips and not doing any shrinking or using fstfix. The first thing I would check is if the Wasabi Zero works properly with untouched 1:1 rips of audio streaming games. If so, then see if it works after altering the ISOs. With 1:1 rips, my Wii with YAOSM 3.2 works just like a modded Gamecube. However, a while ago I tried shrinking then using fstfix on an Eternal Darkness ISO and audio didn't work properly after the changes.

PiXi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Thanks for help! Still testing... ;)

And one more question, is that a big problem for modchips to manage with different video modes (480p, 576i etc.)? 'Cause an import games just stuck due to inability to change video mode automatically from PAL to NTSC, so for such games I've forced to use the MultiGameLoader (even for one game) and choose video mode manually.

PiXi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I gave up on solderness... it doesn't work, checked with my own copy of Eternal Darkness (PAL), rip it by CleanRip 1.0.4 to 1:1 image, all checksums were correct and matched with redump.org, after burning that image to DVD-RW (just for testing) I had the same problems with audio... even after FSTFIX with T S options... so I think I'll try solder installation and downgrade to 4.1

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I gave up on solderness... it doesn't work, checked with my own copy of Eternal Darkness (PAL), rip it by CleanRip 1.0.4 to 1:1 image, all checksums were correct and matched with redump.org, after burning that image to DVD-RW (just for testing) I had the same problems with audio... even after FSTFIX with T S options... so I think I'll try solder installation and downgrade to 4.1
Not sure what you mean by "I gave up on solderness". I'm guessing that you mean solderless, as in the push on clip.

If Wii backups are working with Wasabi Zero, I'm doubtful that a soldered installation will make any difference. The problem is likely with the chip itself, specifically the programming (or perhaps the connection to the drive controller, see below). As I mentioned above, the only chips that I know of that work properly with audio streaming are Wiinja and YAOSM (YAOSM borrowed the audio streaming code from Wiinja). There are also several reports that the original Wiikey properly supported streaming audio, and also that playback is broken in some versions of the Wiikey firmware. What seems odd that the the Wiizard was made by the Wiinja team, and yet somehow streaming audio was broken in their more recent chip. The situation is similar with the Wiikey team, as the newer Wiikey 2 doesn't work either. What gets me wondering is that the only modchips reported to have working streaming audio are the chips which use the "secret" serial port. Although I haven't done a comprehensive survey, thus far none of the chips which use alternative connections to the drive controller play streaming audio correctly.

http://wii.scorpei.c...ernal-TSSP.html

If your Wii does not play the streamed audio correctly with a 1:1 rip burned to a single disc, that is a pretty good indication that the Wasabi Zero's audio streaming support is broken. There is nothing to be gained by using fstfix on a 1:1 rip. Does it get stuck continually repeating the intro poem when the game boots up? That's exactly what happens when playing a 1:1 rip with Wiikey 2 and Wiizard with D2B. YAOSM 3.2 plays the intro poem once, then continues into the game's start screen, just like a Gamecube with XenoGC.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
BTW, I'm guessing that you live in Europe if you have a PAL Wii. If you were closer, I'd offer to modify your D2B chip so that you could use YAOSM or Wiikey with the serial port connections. I have a spare D2B drive board which I purchased to replace my original D2C2. I ended up finding another Wii with a D2B board and swapped the board into my Wii and gave the other Wii to a friend for Xmas, leaving me with an extra board. However, shipping overseas is not likely to be economical. Do you have any friends who might be able to do the work for you?

As it stands, it is looking like these are the options:

- modify the cut-pin D2B drive controller chip and install YAOSM or original Wiikey
- install a replacement DMS/D2A/D2B drive board without cut-pins and install YAOSM or Wiikey

http://www.eurasia.n...products_id=350

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If your Wii does not play the streamed audio correctly with a 1:1 rip burned to a single disc, that is a pretty good indication that the Wasabi Zero's audio streaming support is broken. There is nothing to be gained by using fstfix on a 1:1 rip. Does it get stuck continually repeating the intro poem when the game boots up? That's exactly what happens when playing a 1:1 rip with Wiikey 2 and Wiizard with D2B. YAOSM 3.2 plays the intro poem once, then continues into the game's start screen, just like a Gamecube with XenoGC.

Sorry, but i'll have to correct you there, a 1:1 Rip includes dummy info and data shuffled across the disk as the devs intended. FSTFIX seeks a much more tidy filesystem table allocation for easier reads on GC, or Wii lens (in fact, the Wii laser is much less fussy when it comes down to reading backups than GC laser disk). So a simple FSTFIX (no options aside) on the GC iso will re-organize files inside FST to be closer to the inner edge side of the disk meaning easier and faster access to lens (not that much strain, you know).

Streamfix really works on my Wiikeyv1 on a DMS drive, as normally burned 1:1 GCM backup through IMGBurn at 2,4x (no FST treatment) will cause music to stutter or have looping problems. 32k file alignment I suspect helps in a more sequential lens reading, meaning less lens effort in accessing a variety of data across the disk in equally same chunks of data.

Remember that YAOSM requires a custom programmable chip, a programmer, an older DVD Drive. In most cases an old DVD Drive is enough to get proper audio streaming handling through modchips. And the "secret serial port" is basically a direct route to DVD Video chip.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sorry, but i'll have to correct you there, a 1:1 Rip includes dummy info and data shuffled across the disk as the devs intended. FSTFIX seeks a much more tidy filesystem table allocation for easier reads on GC, or Wii lens (in fact, the Wii laser is much less fussy when it comes down to reading backups than GC laser disk). So a simple FSTFIX (no options aside) on the GC iso will re-organize files inside FST to be closer to the inner edge side of the disk meaning easier and faster access to lens (not that much strain, you know).

Streamfix really works on my Wiikeyv1 on a DMS drive, as normally burned 1:1 GCM backup through IMGBurn at 2,4x (no FST treatment) will cause music to stutter or have looping problems. 32k file alignment I suspect helps in a more sequential lens reading, meaning less lens effort in accessing a variety of data across the disk in equally same chunks of data.

Remember that YAOSM requires a custom programmable chip, a programmer, an older DVD Drive. In most cases an old DVD Drive is enough to get proper audio streaming handling through modchips. And the "secret serial port" is basically a direct route to DVD Video chip.
Interesting....

Right now I don't have time to do any testing. However, my past experiments with fstfix were not promising. Full 1:1 rips play perfectly in my Gamecube with XenoGC and Wii with YAOSM 3.2. With both machines there is no need to alter the ISOs to get perfect streaming audio playback. As I recall, the last time I tried using fstfix the audio streams sounded all garbled. As for disc reading, because the drive spins at a linear velocity, the fastest transfer rate should be found at the outer edge of the disc. I've found that with some discs the laser seeks noisily from edge to edge, while others tend to be read more quietly. My experience thus far suggests that it is not a good idea to mess with the file structure of discs which include streamed audio. When I have more time to experiment, perhaps I can try various options in fstfix again at some point to test what you say above. Another thing I've been interested in trying is programming the XenoGC with the Wiikey (v1) firmware test audio streaming playback. But that will require more serious messing around, including building a programmer.

BTW, above I provided a link for purchasing a PIC programmed with YAOSM 3.2 for $7.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

I've found that with some discs the laser seeks noisily from edge to edge, while others tend to be read more quietly. My experience thus far suggests that it is not a good idea to mess with the file structure of discs which include streamed audio.

And I bet those are backups. FSTFIX in fact helps building a better FST for your GC iso and better reads, less strain on lens. I've done this by burning a 1:1 Smash Melee copy on a DVD (booteable on both GC & Wii), and a FSTFIX'd Smash Melee. Nonetheless the POT on GC was around 250 so it could read backups with ease.

It DRE'd on the 1:1 copy (burnt at 2,4x using IMGBurn, which is GREAT for GC burning as it will fill a dummy file automatically even if the gcm was shrunken.), XENOGC chip, etc. While the FSTFIX'd even made lens movement much more precise and smaller, and it didn't DRE. You could try this experiment with Zelda: TP as this game accesses data frecuently, and gives a lot of DRE using the above method, and you'll get what I'm saying.

On older consoles, ie: dreamcast it's much better to have the data tidy on the outer edge so it's easier for the lens to read (it moves less) because of how physically the data was fitted. But due to the physical design of the GC DVD Hardware, while the Mini-DVD reads, data is fitted backwardly (counter-clockwise) against a CD-like way(clockwise) so data (i've seen it, and the lens for sure gets strained less..) and lens activity goes MUCH better by doing small reads from the inner edge of the disk.

Another thing I've been interested in trying is programming the XenoGC with the Wiikey (v1) firmware test audio streaming playback. But that will require more serious messing around, including building a programmer.

You'd have to know alot about ES_Drivecalls(), find which adresses are being used per game as for streaming data, find a decoder which does the decode for you (cpu cycles?) without interfering the normal game, and inject the decoded data onto the actual game to "stream it". I'm not THAT sure if modchips works like this anyway. But you'd have to learn a lot!

PiXi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Not sure what you mean by "I gave up on solderness". I'm guessing that you mean solderless, as in the push on clip.
Oh! Sorry, yeah, solderless of course :D

Does it get stuck continually repeating the intro poem when the game boots up?
Yep, it get stuck on the poem continually repeating it, after FSTFIX poem plays normally (however sound isn't 100% clean) but all other audio are garbled.

I'd offer to modify your D2B chip so that you could use YAOSM or Wiikey with the serial port connections.
Wow, you are really Canadian! :) It's so generous! Thank you but I have no right to bother you with this, more and more thinking about to buy a GameCube, I want to check rare NTSC-J demos of Resident Evil for example, already have a memorycard and controller so I need console, power and component cables or maybe GameCube modchips have similar audio issues and the same bad compatibility with import games? :-))))

Just for info: Wasabi Zero works great with import Wii backups on 4.3 (tested with SuperMarioGalaxy2 NTSC), it's strange 'cause I heard that it's impossible for modchips to run imports since 4.2

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
On older consoles, ie: dreamcast it's much better to have the data tidy on the outer edge so it's easier for the lens to read (it moves less) because of how physically the data was fitted. But due to the physical design of the GC DVD Hardware, while the Mini-DVD reads, data is fitted backwardly (counter-clockwise) against a CD-like way(clockwise) so data (i've seen it, and the lens for sure gets strained less..) and lens activity goes MUCH better by doing small reads from the inner edge of the disk.
Hold it right there a second. GC (and wii) discs are absolutely not written backwards. Game files are placed towards the end of the disc for exactly the reason mentioned by wiismodrome: transfer rates at the outer edge are higher.
Also 32K alignment for audio streams has nothing to do with "sequential lens reading" (it's a hardware limitation based on the sector size of DVDs combined with the audio buffer size) and there is no such things as "ES_Drivecalls" (these are gamecube games, they don't even know ES exists).

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hold it right there a second. GC (and wii) discs are absolutely not written backwards. Game files are placed towards the end of the disc for exactly the reason mentioned by wiismodrome: transfer rates at the outer edge are higher.
Also 32K alignment for audio streams has nothing to do with "sequential lens reading" (it's a hardware limitation based on the sector size of DVDs combined with the audio buffer size) and there is no such things as "ES_Drivecalls" (these are gamecube games, they don't even know ES exists).

I stand corrected by the "GC disk being burnt counter-clockwise".

Could you post some audiostreaming code at least in assembler to verify what you're saying? please

And, thanks for the clarification. But you really sure about this one? If so, how devs managed to access both data and play a music stream being decoded on the DSP by *not* having the FST tidy, like FSTFIX does, and just filling dummy files? So the lens could suffer from less wear?

edit: due to -CAV- way of reading. no matter how files could be shuffled, the access time on a GC medium disk will approx. still be the same. Hence why GC lens are so picky on backups as CAV being its way of reading, and cheap media causing more wear on lens..

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hmmm... just lost a lengthy post.... :(

In my experience XenoGC can play almost anything. It even allows for forcing PAL or NTSC video mode, though I'm not sure if every Gamecube game supports this. Every streaming audio game I've tried works perfectly.

wiismodrome

flubber
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
BTW, one of the reasons why I went to so much trouble to get proper GC audio streaming support on my Wii is because my Gamecube has disc reading problems. My GC is in an IcedCube case which allows for full-size DVDs. Usually I use Verbatim DVD-Rs, and I've found that burning at 8x is the best for reliability. Unfortunately, the GC's drive has become more and more picky reading DVD-Rs over the years and adjusting the laser doesn't seem to help.

The Wii's drive is much better; it will read pretty much anything without read errors. Now that my Wii supports GC audio streaming, I no longer have any need for the Gamecube. Another bonus is that the Wii supports component output, which means that you don't have to buy that stupidly expensive Gamecube component cable.

PiXi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
@[member='wiismodrome']

stupidly expensive Gamecube component cable.
Holy S****! It's expensive like hell. 100$ for cable and for DAC... oh, boy! It's twice more than console itself :)))

They even removed component output from a latest revisions of console:

...support for component video was removed with the DOL-101 revision of the Gamecube hardware in May, 2004

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.