Gaming Wii ISO/ WBFS missing content?

azakhan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
When people rip and upload game files online, do they sometimes take out files (like video/ audio, missing cutscenes etc) Cos I found a super smash bros brawl ISO that was 4.38GB and there was a comment saying some of the videos were missing.

I've seen this commented on other files aswell. I know scrubbed files have the 'filler space' removed so it's almost half the size after removal, but I didn't think they removed actual game files to make it smaller? And with WBFS being even smaller (I know they're smaller anyway but how do we know how much has actually been removed) I'm starting to wonder if this is a common practice?

Or is it possible there is another explanation, maybe the people making these comments are using a region other than that of their own wii, thus causing compatibility issues? (Eg. I know colour changes can sometimes result.)

Hope someone can help, thanks

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Smash bros brawl is a dual layer disc.
Some people removed the videos to fit the ISO on a single layer DVD (back when burning DVD was more spread than USB loaders).

azakhan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any sign of this being done to other games that aren't dual layered?

Also is there any way to tell if any files have been removed? (is there a certain size each game file should be so that it can be compared maybe?)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't think it has been done to games which are single layered.

I don't know if you can check if the game has removed/modified files.
The games have a SHA1 table which you can use to verify if the files are full/correct, but I don't know if edited ISO has this SHA-1 table edited too.
You could try with WiiBackupManager r78 (select the game > tools > Sha1 > verify selected)

Reactions: azakhan

azakhan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks I'll check that out might be useful. What about when the iso states it is '(compress)' does this mean it has had files removed? I noticed another comment on a monster hunter tri ISO, it said:

'Don't use these samller versions get the US version. Running this one I got lots of graphical stuttering and glitches, not enough to gamebreak but enough to make me annoyed. For example my players head would graphically glitch out into nothingness while standing still. THe 4 gig US versions work much better. Remember to turn the resolution up high.'

Although the fact that he mentioned turning up the resolution suggests he is playing it on an emulator on PC not a wii?

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like he was using an emu. Only thing I ever known to be dropped from wbsf files are Wii menu updates but they don't effect gameplay.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Is there any sign of this being done to other games that aren't dual layered?

Also is there any way to tell if any files have been removed? (is there a certain size each game file should be so that it can be compared maybe?)

I downloaded that single-disc Brawl ISO, MD5sum mateched, etc... and it always froze randomly. I deleted it, downloaded the full dual-layer ISO, and scrubbed it myself down to a wbfs file just over 6GB. Works flawlessly on my NTFS harddrive in CFG Loader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: