Wii ISO/ WBFS missing content?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by azakhan, Jan 18, 2014.

1. azakhan
    OP

azakhan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2011
    When people rip and upload game files online, do they sometimes take out files (like video/ audio, missing cutscenes etc) Cos I found a super smash bros brawl ISO that was 4.38GB and there was a comment saying some of the videos were missing.

I've seen this commented on other files aswell. I know scrubbed files have the 'filler space' removed so it's almost half the size after removal, but I didn't think they removed actual game files to make it smaller? And with WBFS being even smaller (I know they're smaller anyway but how do we know how much has actually been removed) I'm starting to wonder if this is a common practice?

Or is it possible there is another explanation, maybe the people making these comments are using a region other than that of their own wii, thus causing compatibility issues? (Eg. I know colour changes can sometimes result.)

Hope someone can help, thanks

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Smash bros brawl is a dual layer disc.
    Some people removed the videos to fit the ISO on a single layer DVD (back when burning DVD was more spread than USB loaders).

3. azakhan
    OP

azakhan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2011
    Is there any sign of this being done to other games that aren't dual layered?

Also is there any way to tell if any files have been removed? (is there a certain size each game file should be so that it can be compared maybe?)

4. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I don't think it has been done to games which are single layered.

I don't know if you can check if the game has removed/modified files.
    The games have a SHA1 table which you can use to verify if the files are full/correct, but I don't know if edited ISO has this SHA-1 table edited too.
    You could try with WiiBackupManager r78 (select the game > tools > Sha1 > verify selected)

azakhan likes this.
  5. azakhan
    OP

azakhan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 28, 2011
    Thanks I'll check that out might be useful. What about when the iso states it is '(compress)' does this mean it has had files removed? I noticed another comment on a monster hunter tri ISO, it said:

'Don't use these samller versions get the US version. Running this one I got lots of graphical stuttering and glitches, not enough to gamebreak but enough to make me annoyed. For example my players head would graphically glitch out into nothingness while standing still. THe 4 gig US versions work much better. Remember to turn the resolution up high.'

Although the fact that he mentioned turning up the resolution suggests he is playing it on an emulator on PC not a wii?

6. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Sounds like he was using an emu. Only thing I ever known to be dropped from wbsf files are Wii menu updates but they don't effect gameplay.

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I downloaded that single-disc Brawl ISO, MD5sum mateched, etc... and it always froze randomly. I deleted it, downloaded the full dual-layer ISO, and scrubbed it myself down to a wbfs file just over 6GB. Works flawlessly on my NTFS harddrive in CFG Loader.