Hacking Wii ISO Loader

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
assassda said:
teq said:
It would require tapping into the starlet and controlling IOS internally, which seems nearly impossible without additional hardware.
dont you remember streaming to gamecube through homebrew?
why does it seem so impossible to use USB?

The difference is that the Starlet prevents direct access to the system.

Using USB is also hindered by the fact that it's currently limited to USB1.0 data rates.

Once Starlet is completely hacked and USB2 is enabled, an ISO loader isn't out of the question... but I don't see that happening without additional hardware on the Starlet.

davidw89

Trophies
XP
Country
Instead of an ISO loader why not get USB2 enabled and working with NTFS devices (like external hard drive)..and i am guessing someone will eventually make good use of it (including but not limited to an iso launcher..plenty of other "cool" stuff)

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
why get an iso loader if you can already play pirated games?

lazy pirates

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
davidw89 said:
Instead of an ISO loader why not get USB2 enabled and working with NTFS devices (like external hard drive)..and i am guessing someone will eventually make good use of it (including but not limited to an iso launcher..plenty of other "cool" stuff)

Just enabling USB2 doesn't do much. We already have transfer rates fast enough to watch movies with USB1.0, we just need a player that can do it.

As far as NTFS is concerned... NTFS is just a file system, like FAT and FAT32.

I think you're thinking of USB Mass Storage devices.

killplaystation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
why get an iso loader if you can already play pirated games?

lazy pirates
Agreed
again, if you don't have the discipline required to install your own chip, then you don deserve to play back-ups, or at least to whine about it

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
killplaystation said:
Agreed
again, if you don't have the discipline required to install your own chip, then you don deserve to play back-ups, or at least to whine about it

Drivechips are just a bandaid for a more efficient solution.

jinxvorheeze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't assume that we don't want an ISO loader because of the legalities. It's more that the project is in the improbable area or homebrew right now. We currently don't know enough about the Wii and how it works to make something like that possible. We know how the Wii works... just not how to force it to do what we want with code yet. There is still alot of work to be done first. And in order to make an ISO loader you have to create a program which functions as a virtual drive and is supported and enabled by the Wii itself. This is no easy task, and will take alot more research before a project is even really started.

You can stop asking about it now. Trust me. When one is released, or is being worked on this site will be one of the first to spread the news. And then a seemingly endless flood of spam topics about "when it is going to be released" will befall this forum. And once it's released. Another seemingly endless trail of spam posts asking "how to get the ISO loader to do specific things" will come and wash away the souls of the innocent regular tempers. All I'm saying is that before the impending doom the ISO loader brings when (if) one is released. Lets not spam about it anymore. The fact that after months and months of knowing there isn't even one being worked on, people still feel the need to ask. Until you see the topic "ISO Loader In The Works *CONFIRMED*" assume there is no such thing and get on with your life. Wiikey is only $17 and a self-made ship can cost as little as $2.

zant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTFS format is out of the question. NT file system. NTFS is windows-specific. FAT and FAT32 are general formats. and like posts before, it will be impossible without USB 2.0 support.

barcode1999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
am i right in thinking that the wii only supports mass storage devices (for various emulators) formatted in fat16 at the moment presumably meaning files of up to 2GB? gonna be while yet i think but the possibilities are endless
toot.gif
(ps this forum needs some wii related smilies/emoticons )

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The USB mode is controlled by Starlet.

Starlet sets the mode(which is currently only USB1.0) upon boot and it doesn't change as long as the system is turned on.

As far as FAT, FAT32, and NTFS are considered, FAT only allows partitions up to 2GB. FAT32 is limited to 8TB. NTFS is out of the question, as it's proprietary and has features that are unnecessary for the Wii.

Now, if FAT32 is not enabled with homebrew, you can always make multiple FAT partitions that are 2GB each.

davidw89

Trophies
XP
Country
What about the Linux format, ext 2/3 i've been hearing about (Popcorn Hour for once) which has no size limitation.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
davidw89 said:
What about the Linux format, ext 2/3 i've been hearing about (Popcorn Hour for once) which has no size limitation.

Well, I'm assuming you use Windows, correct?

Windows doesn't support EXT without a driver, which is full of bugs.

FAT32 is not hard to extend from FAT, so it's the most logical file system.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
teq said:

Starlet sets the mode(which is currently only USB1.0) upon boot and it doesn't change as long as the system is turned on.

As far as FAT, FAT32, and NTFS are considered, FAT only allows partitions up to 2GB. FAT32 is limited to 8TB. NTFS is out of the question, as it's proprietary and has features that are unnecessary for the Wii.

Now, if FAT32 is not enabled with homebrew, you can always make multiple FAT partitions that are 2GB each.
So the Wii never use the USB 2.0 ?

My theory failed
unsure.gif

ProdigySim

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shuny said:
teq said:

My theory failed
unsure.gif
Like the answer to so many other things, it won't work without IOS hacks
tongue.gif
Once people feel comfortable writing IOS replacements, or at least rewriting/modifying parts of IOS, it will be very possible.

teq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shuny said:

My theory failed
unsure.gif

No, it's obviously accessible, considering the Wii LAN adapter uses USB 2.0.

I think it just depends on the hardware.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
teq said:
Shuny said:

My theory failed
unsure.gif

No, it's obviously accessible, considering the Wii LAN adapter uses USB 2.0.

I think it just depends on the hardware.
Oh yeah, that's was my uber-complicated-theory : Could we use an lan adapter to access a hard drive and make an Iso loader?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol