wii image iso on usb HD

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Avinator, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Avinator
    OP

Avinator Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 19, 2009
    United States
    is it possible to play wii iso from usb external harddrive or sd card?

2. EriktheRed

EriktheRed Member

Newcomer
    Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Not without a Flatmii (at this point in time) and even then it has to connect to a computer, not a standalone drive.

3. maduin

maduin GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    United States
    I'd say that by summer time, they'll have a mod that allows you to connect your USB HDD to the Wii and run ISO's off of there, which will be awesome. I'll probably get one of these, I have the My Book version right now for my Wii to carry around movies for use with Geexbox, but it's a bit too big to carry around all the time, the My Passport version seems much more convenient.

4. Wilson735

Wilson735 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 30, 2006
    United States
    It'll be awesome once the Wii gets a hard drive mod. I would build a bigger case and enclose the hard drive within the case itself.

5. loopguy

loopguy GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2007
    Gambia, The
    isn't it possible to modify the wii-scrubber multboot-loader, by adding libfat to run isos off a hdd??? [​IMG]

6. kedest

kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 6, 2007
    Netherlands
    There is a flatcable modchip coming that can load from a Sata hard drive.

7. loopguy

loopguy GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2007
    Gambia, The
    yes i know, but it isn't a free solution and it's not homebrew compatible... (and you need to open up your wii)
    so back to my question... scrubber multiloader -> hdd?

8. maduin

maduin GBAtemp Fan

Jul 13, 2006
    United States
    so far, the libfat for the Wii only supports FAT32 and lower, FAT32 only supports files sizes up to 4GB, most Wii ISOs are around 4.7GB. So right now, it's impossible. If they'd write the libfat to support NTFS, then yes, it would be possible to do what you're explaining. Or if the ISO Loader program would be written in Linux for the Wii, it would work, as Linux Wii does support NTFS.

9. velocity37

velocity37 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Large files could be split...

Don't DVD movies split large VOB files into 1GB segments?