Hacking Wii Homebrew Essential

hetster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ok this thread comes purely from my confusion lol. i am pretty sure there will be many others in the same boat.
ok here it goes. due to wiigators backup launcher i have decided to get into wii homebrew. now dont get me wrong this isnt becuase of the backup loader but because that is a part of it. i have lots of consoles and to be honest the best i find for homebrew is the psp. even though this can play iso's i never play iso's on it the only thing i play on the psp is retro emulators of which there are hundreds.. the reason i find the psp so easy is its uniformity. eveyone works together and everything is done in a uniform way..if you have installed 1 homebrew on the psp you can basicaly do anything. this is where i have problems with the wii. you have nintendo trying to block hacks. you have hackers like marcan trying to block wiigators/waninkoko's efforts it seems as though there is lots of infighting which makes things harder. eg the new homebrew channel doesnt allow elfs stopping certain homebrews from working. its as though 1 homebrew is developed to stop you using someone elses homebrew. so here what i would find helpful as will many other new users that will be tempted into homebrew becuase of wiigator/waninkoko

1. what are the essential homebrew apps you couldnt do without
2. what is the best most reliable wii setup eg apps/firmware combo's
3. what is the safest setup to have to unbrick eg 3.2 with starfall
4. is there any bits of wisdom or wise words that is essential to new users of homebrew.

thanks for any replies

********************************************************************************

APPS -
1. backup loader by wiigator/waninkoko - currently at revision 0.3, this allows backups to be played on an unmodified wii. although not all games work its a very very good start. files and readme can be found in djtaz's signature found here

TIPS -
1. dont update the wii - the reasons are obvious updates from nintendo will try and patch exploits so dont update till youve checked on gbatemp for a workaround or fix.

2. if you still want to use the new shop channel without the need for updating use the 3.3u safe update from the djtaz signature package. (ty TerraPhantm)

hetster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
excelent. this is the words of wisdom i'm talking about..i kinda knew not to update but even so its the kind of thing thats essential to newbies like myself.

pnut

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BL4Z3D247 said:
you say your at system menu 3.2 right?

if so get cIOS36 rev6, very important at this time especially
What about a 3.3U firmware (but not the NEW one). I have a few friends and they have 3.3U and I was able to load HBC usingt he TP hack, but I keep getting re= -1 errors when I try to use the WAD Manager to load a Wad. I haven't loaded any cIOS.

Any recommendations on whether I need to to this? If so, which? Thanks!

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kedest said:
BL4Z3D247 said:
Patryc said:
Is cIOS36 rev6 the one that comes with Backup Launcher 0.3?
yes

WiiGator also posted a "fix" for super paper mario(and maybe some other game, not sure) that were giving a tester problems

a patch in the cios or the loader?
cIOS i believe

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Topic changed to the appropriate title.
It'd be nice if you'd keep an up-to-date list of the essential Wii homebrew applications/games - like all of the other GBAtemp Essential topics.

hetster

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ty very much..although i'm still a n00b on these forums if people post the essentials and why they are essential and what they do etc i can make some kind of list in first post,,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-