Hacking Wii hard drive needed now

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
i just want a hard drive mod + iso loader.
imagine storing all your favorite games on your hard drive , and launching them without changing discs.
now THAT would be awesome...

malsuk

Trophies
XP
Country
Be under no illusions fella's here will be some kind of external storage of one form or another. It has to happen it is in Nintendo's best interest to provide storage with wiiware on the way and I am sure other developments which will require storage. When the Wii was in development I believe storage was keep to minimum with price being one of the most important factors. Remember Nintendo has tried this before with the N64DD which was rewriteable but only stored 64mb and the disks where expensive to produce. Nintendo have had no choice with regards to WiiWare they have got to follow suit with Sony and Microsoft and provide online gaming (some games at a cost to play online soon) and channels with original content which is started to be seen. Nintendo seem to be holding their own with the Wii and DS in the marketplace offering different and unique ways to play games. They need to carry on with different ways to play (WiiFit) and keep their customers happy. The only way they are going to carry on going forward with the Wii is to provide a storage solution. Look at the XboX 360 20gb harddrive and now 120gb there are even talks that the harddrive ain't large enough. I understand that the XboX 360 in a totally different league, but storage space is needed more and more. I can remember in the early days when I had a Commodore Amiga with a 20mb hardrive back then I thought it was big enough, but as time when on it soon seemed small. i believe this is going to be the same issue with the Wii. I think I speak for most people the Wii is starting to run out of space I know that game saves can be deleted and so can channels, but question this ain't going to be enough. I give it at the most 6 months from now and Nintendo are going to release a storage solution with some kind of Nintendo twist with that different to other companys and also interesting to the consumer

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
my ps3 has a 60gb hard drive and that still aint enough, i'm upgrading it to a 250gb when i save up enough cash AT LEAST the Wii should support SDHC type SD cards as standard, that would give you a bit more space.

i'm guessing nintendo are holding off supplying a hard drive becasue they loose money? but in fact it would be the opposite as people would download more games to the Wii if we all had bigger enough hard drives, and btw thebobevil, even if you say nintendo will release a hard drive in japan only (which would be stupid on their part) most people around the globe would be able to import it anyway or there will be 3rd party ones which would in fact work out cheaper than the official nintendo hard drives.

nintendo's ignorance will not pay off if they keep ignoring the advancement in this gen's gaming, releasing wiiware with huge downloads on a small 512mb flash drive is a joke to say the least, instead nintendo want you to suffer and force you to download from their servers each time you want to play the games after you delete them, on top of that nintendo will no doubt not let you backup your games to a hard drive either, oh no, they would loose money that way! money, money money, is all that makes the world go round ¬_¬

i think in the end it will be the Wii hacking scene who will be making use of those currently useless usb ports at the back of the Wii with a nice loader software to boot everything from a nice sized hard drive
biggrin.gif
regardless if nintendo release a official one or not, at the way the Wii scene is progressing now i don't think it's that far off, give it about 6 months or so and we will start seeing progress.

malsuk

Trophies
XP
Country
There is no way that Nintendo will only release a storage device just in Japan on the Wii. Remember the Gamecube sold very well in Japan more than any other country, but the Wii is a different story. The Wii it seems at the moment is a world wide success shifting millions of units every month all over the world (40% to USA I hear). Nintendo will be lead by the users. They have made some bad mistakes in the past and are now starting to understand that they need to be unique, but also listen and take advice from the gamers themselves. As the games developers start to unleash the power of the wii storage is going to be a must and will hold part of the future of the Wii. Without external storage the wii is going to be restricted and fall behind in some cases. I have always supported Nintendo and believed in their technology, but I feel the Wii is alot different, if they have decided not to support external storage I think the Wii will suffer and without a doubt the homebrew scene will sort it out. We are fully aware that the Wii is nowhere near the power of the PS3 or XboX 360, but Nintendo can only stay ahead of the game by injecting that uniqueness into their hardware and software. The external harddrive is a very cheap, but future proof solution in some ways, and could provide some excellent uses IPTV springs to mind and possibly jukebox/media centre. I do think though that maybe just maybe the homebrew scene could beat Nintendo to it with a simple external USB harddrive connect and yes homebrew running from that.

" MADE BY MAN , HACKED BY MAN "

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Teej said:
Here's why there isn't a hard drive:

http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2008/04/2...has-hard-drive/

Expect either SSD or Pen Stick only.
To be honest, that doesn't make me said. If they were to release a HDD that also requires a power supply, it would just be a mess. Also, if they were to release a HDD that can be powered entirely by USB, what's to prevent one person going, "hurrr i think i'll pull my drive out even though it says not to". It's a shame that the Wii has a USB port that's not being used at all much like a lot of other Nintendo console

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la