Wii hard drive needed now

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mb01, Apr 24, 2008.

Apr 24, 2008

Wii hard drive needed now by mb01 at 2:19 PM (3,425 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. mb01
    OP

Member mb01 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    With the recent flood of VC games, and probably also channels for most homebrew ahead. I think we really need a hard drive mod for the Wii. Just wondering what everyone else's views on this are. Will it be possible for some type of custom firmware or patch to let us use and external hard drive..or will we have to wait for Nintendo to release one. Lets face it, the Wii HAS to have a hard drive in the works. Especially with Wiiware around the corner.

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    No, it doesn't have to have one, at all.

Take FFCC: My Life as a King, for instance ... all the extra content for that has only been 1 block, for each item ... plus, if you delete the stuff to make room for new stuff, you can always re-download the content later, for free ...

3. mb01
    OP

Australia
    Yeah, but what about the people who want to keep EVERYTHING on their Wii. Also i wonder how many blocks the actual game is for FFCC. Once Wiiware is out if you download many of these and have multiple VC games on your Wii, you are gonna run out of space very quick. Some of the N64 VC are close to 300 blocks already.

4. Harsky

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    But remember, there will always, ALWAYS be people who bitch about space because they can't be bothered deleting or moving their save data. Probably the same people who wants SDHC support on a flashcart even though 2gb is enough.

That said, I wouldn't mind someone hacking the USB port on the Wii since I have an unused 4gb USB pen

5. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Word, that would be amazing.

6. mb01
    OP

Australia
    It would be great. We would probably need some kind of patch to the firmware though as the Wii menu would have to encorporate the extra blocks in the menu.

7. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Doesn't mean Nintendo will oblige them with anything though ... especially outside of Japan ...

8. mb01
    OP

Australia
    No, they are not olbiged to do anything but may loose sales due to peoples Wii's being too full.

9. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    No, they won't.

10. mb01
    OP

Australia
    What makes you so sure? what about people with slow internet connections that have a full Wii, but don't want to delete some of their precious games to make way for new ones as they do not want to spend ages downloading them again. Not that i have a slow connection but a lot of people still do.

11. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    I'm sure because I'm sure [​IMG]

Been gaming for 30 years ... and I pay attention to how it all goes with these things ... An external storage device is extremely unlikely ... and, if they do release one ... don't expect to see it outside of Japan ...

12. dweirdo

Member dweirdo GBAtemp Regular

Lithuania
    nobody ever tried to connect an hard drive to the wii?
    cause it has internal flash drive, so if you format your hard drive you can plug'n'play am i right?
    i have MVIX (google it) its an amazing thing which allows you to storage stuff on it from your computer with usb cable and than see it on TV (it has component cable) so maybe i can do something with it.
    ill ask my dad XDDD

13. mb01
    OP

Australia
    Well, you sound quite sure. Although i think if they do release one in Japan only they are silly..the problem will affect people all over the world. Even so i would import one from there. I guess in the end though only Nintendo know what they are and are not going to do. I mean look at the PSP, originally had 2gb, then 4gb, then 8gb and soon 16gb. So this proves that when space is needed, it can be accomplished. Maybe Nintendo will just give us support to run things off SD cards in the future?

14. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Nintendo never planned on WiiWare, when they first ventured out with the Wii ...

They brought WiiWare out, so they could compete, at least in a token way, with Microsoft and Sony ...

They are not fond of online ... that much is obvious to anyone ... they want people to play multiplayer games gathered around a single console, not spread around the globe ...

If they release a storage device, it will most probably either be Japan-only, as I said before, or a very token effort ... some small USB memory stick, that can only be accessed by titles written specifically to find it ...

15. mb01
    OP

Australia
    Very true...I agree on the token effort and some kind of USB stick. That is more like what i am picturing, a small add-on that clips into the USB port which has 2 or maybe 4gb. I would be happy with that.

16. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Well, at least your being realistic ... I've seen similar conversations on other boards, and some people are expecting like 40gb SSD add-ons ...

17. B4rtj4h

Member B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Netherlands
    I believe Nintendo is coming in the Future with such device. Because if you look at Mario an Wiifit thet both install a channel.

When it is about to install the message shows:

Data will be stored on Hard disk in your Wii.

This means (i hope !! ) that there will come something like a USB disk of some kind

18. mb01
    OP

Australia
    Na, i never expected anything like that. Just some type of storage device, not a full fledged hard drive. Let's face it, 4 or 6gb would be PLENTY even for the most heavy users of VC and Wiiware.

19. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    gosh man, i've installed like 4 n64 games and i've only got 400 blocks left, the Wii SERIOUSLY needs a hard drive.

20. mb01
    OP

Australia
    My point EXACTLY!!