Wii halts while USB HDD is connected

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Hezkore, Jan 23, 2012.

Jan 23, 2012
  1. Hezkore
    OP

Member Hezkore GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Right, so I have this LaCie (I believe... It's just a black box, blue light and no info on it) external HDD case, with a Samsung 500GB hard drive inside of it.
    It works splendid on my PC formated to WBFS, FAT32 and NTFS, no issues there... but when I plug it into my Wii and either reset the Wii or fire up USB Loader GX, everything just stops/halts.
    I wouldn't call it a freeze because once I turn the HDD off or unplug the USB cable, everything continues like nothing happened.
    And USB Loader throws me no Error what-so-ever, it just doesn't ever finish loading, heh.

As I've said, I tried WBFS, Fat32, NTFS, same result on all.
    Also tried different cables, thinking that might be the issue, but no change...
    I'm guessing it's not a compatible HDD?

Either way it's no biggie, I've already replaced it with a 2TB HDD that works perfectly fine on the same Wii, but It would be nice to have that 500GB one plugged into the "Guest Wii".

Just wondering if there's any fix for this, can I throw something onto the HDD, or the Wii that makes it magically work heh?
    Or is the HDD doomed to stay in the attic with the rest of the useless HDDs?

Thanks for any help! _o/

2. ZEN POWER

Newcomer ZEN POWER Member

United Kingdom
  3. Hezkore
    OP

Sweden
    I did have a look at that list early on, and found that it only says "Issues" on one LaCie disk, and that one's called "LaCie Mobile Disk".
    A quick Google Image Search on "LaCie Mobile Disk" shows a different one from the one I'm having.

After some searching I found that it's the LaCie disk designed by Neil Poulton, which looks like this > LINK
    And the Compatibility List does list that one and says "Working" on all 3 categories, which just raises further questions... :|

4. ZEN POWER

Newcomer ZEN POWER Member

United Kingdom
    USB loader recognizes the drive occasionally.Might be fixed on the next version of USB Loader. Edit: Works with this setup:1st partition Fat32 40GB, 2nd partition NTFS 385GB, 3rd partition WBFS 40GB. Plug a usb flash drive into the first usb and plug hdd into second usb to make it detect instantly. EDIT AGAIN: Does not work with the suggested setup. Completely non-working on all loaders and with all cIOS revisions. EDIT: Confirmed doesn't work. EDIT: Works when using Hermes' cIOS 222/223, but not with Waninkoko's cIOS 249. EDIT: Works with cIOS 249, created 2 partitions, both FAT 32. Formatted the first one twice in a row with ncWBFSTool and then I stopped having the "this is not a wii disc" error when loading games. ---- Had constant compatibility issues. Would not work at all with several loaders, attempted with several CIOS inc Hermes. Began working with USB Loader GX then ceased working with that too despite not making any changes. Tried non-partitioned/partitioned, recommended ideas etc. Gave up, bought Iomega 1TB Prestige Desktop Hard Drive USB 2.0 which works without any issues at all with all loaders. Wouldn't recommend this Lacie drive at all for use with Wi i think a lot of problems with the wii is which guide you use to softmod i have softmodded 4 wii's 3 of them with different guides and get different results back up discs worked on one not the other games freeze on on not the other have read a few threads around about incompatabilty with this hdd and mac it sounds as though it cant connect to the wii itself so it shuts it down could try updating ios in charge of usb 2.0 functions just read the hdd you are talking about is favoured for the mac and not for windows fomating on a windows computer maybe the issue try formating on a mac using wbfs as the whole partition

5. Hezkore
    OP

Sweden
    Ah, that should really be changed to "Not Working".
    Oh well, case closed then I guess, just as well as I have already moved on.
    The other Wii will have to stick to its 320GB then. :)

Thanks for your response ZEN POWER.