Wii & GameCube

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by o2oxygen, Aug 7, 2010.

Aug 7, 2010

Wii & GameCube by o2oxygen at 2:25 PM (2,067 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. o2oxygen
    OP

Member o2oxygen GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Hello i know this might be a stupid question... but based on searching using google when others are playing game cube games on their wii they get some errors..

so any one experience this? im planning to get Luigi's Mansion and play it on my Wii...

will playing game cube games be harmful to your wii?

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Then that's poppycock, Gamecube games work fine on the Wii. I've played my fair share and none of them have errors or hurt your Wii.

It's fine, it was built with backwards compatibility for a reason.

3. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    The Wii is just an overclocked GameCube. You won't have any problems playing GC games on your Wii! [​IMG]

4. soued031

Newcomer soued031 Member

United States
    I have lots of Gamecube games which work on my Wii , all Mario games seem to work I have for exemple also Luigi's Mansion. I have heard that Starfox game's have some problem with audio... not sure exactly what it is. But if you play known Gamecube games they often work [​IMG]

5. o2oxygen
    OP

Philippines
    thans for the reply guys... i think im gonna buy the game now even if its used because its hard to find new game cube games now...

BTW: what is the difference between PAL & NTSC? and how to know what type is my Wii?

6. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    PAL and NTSC are regions. I'm pretty sure the Philippines is PAL, so if you're buying a copy of the game, make sure it's PAL.

7. o2oxygen
    OP

Philippines
    uhm yeah but i bought my Wii from the US? would that be an issue? sorry if im asking newbie questions

8. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    GameCube:

[​IMG]

Wii:

[​IMG]

GameCube Hardware (very respectable):

-PowerPC CPU 485Mhz ("Gekko")
    -24MB of main memory (1T-SRAM), 16MB of memory audio and DVD (DRAM)
    -GPU "Flipper" to 162Mhz (developed by ArtX, now ATI)
    -Optical disc drive unit (DVDs modified)
    -Expansion ports, drives, memory cards, etc.

Wii Hardware:

Update now the CPU at 729Mhz and the GPU at 243Mhz and add the following:

-64MB of GDDR3 memory (replace the 16MB DRAM)
    -SD Card Reader
    -USB
    -Bluetooth (wireless controllers)
    -WiFi

9. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    On the system menu screen of your Wii, in the lower-left corner, is the Wii Options button. Click on it. Now click on Wii Settings. You will be presented with the Wii System Settings 1 page. In the upper-right corner is the current Wii Firmware you are running.

Let's see this example: the wii firmware is 4.2. The letter next to the number represents the region.

Example: 4.2u=NTSC, 4.2e=PAL, 4.2j=NTSC-J

10. luminalace

Member luminalace GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    If you bought a Wii from the USA then it's likely to be a NTSC Wii! If this is the case then without a modchip or softmod you will only be able to play games from North America! This also means that only Gamecube games from that region will work on your unmodded Wii!

11. o2oxygen
    OP

Philippines
    thanks for the info guys and i have a clean wii i dont have a softmod and modchip..

but i was thinking to make a softmod and install hombrew channel is that harmful? im new to this wii havent tried hacking it my version is 4.3U the latest i think

12. o2oxygen
    OP

Philippines
    thanks for the info guys and i have a clean wii i dont have a softmod and modchip..

but i was thinking to make a softmod and install hombrew channel is that harmful? im new to this wii havent tried hacking it my version is 4.3U the latest i think

EDIT:

sorry for the double post GBA temp gave me an error of flood control and when i hit back its there. 2 post and i didnt know why it happend

13. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    Gaww, you're at 4.3?

Well, softmodding isn't gonna be so easy, then.

There is some ways, but I can't vouch for em'. And they don't explain them in a very "newbie-friendly" manner.

You sure you can't just get NTSC games?

14. o2oxygen
    OP

Philippines

uhm sorry but what do you mean by "You sure you can't just get NTSC games?" do you mean that i cant buy some NTSC games here or i cant literaly play NTSC games?

and do i need to soft mod to install Hombrew Channel? i dont want to do a USB loader something it will just force me to do pirate you know what im talking about =)

15. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Yes...in order to install the homebrew channel, you'll need to softmod it. And the latest firmware isn't capable of hacking without a retail version of Smash Brosh Brawl (NTSC only) or Lego Indiana Jones (either PAL or NTSC).

Are you sure of your firmware? As Burton mentioned, the "U" in 4.3U indicates that it's a NTSC wii. And it indeed requires NTSC wii games.

Well: if you softmod it, there are some tricks to get out-of-region games to work. But like I said: to softmod it, you'll need one of those retail games first. [​IMG]

16. d3monsting

Member d3monsting GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So basically, unless you can get NTSC games, you will need to soft mod it... which requires an NTSC or PAL version of SSBB, or NTSC Indiana. However, by saying this I'm not telling you to go and do anything illegal nor am I implying it...

17. o2oxygen
    OP

Philippines
    yes i know im not going to do illegal stuffs.. i just want hombrew channel to add up on my Menu and maybe use the DVD player? is that illegal?

18. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Possibly. I don't know everything about it, and it may differ from different countries, but using exploits to install not nintendo-approved programs goes against the user license.

19. d3monsting

Member d3monsting GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's not illegal in the US, but I'm not sure about your country~~