LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiMail.jpg

See the picture above? I have one question." Why hasn't someone developed a email client for Wii that gives you the option to send messages from selected contacts to your Wii Mail box?" WiiConnect 24 is dead so messaging your Wii owning friends can't be done from the console but something like this would eliminate the messaging problem. The picture above is a quick illustration of a possible design. I'm willing to help out with the artwork if someone is willing to do the programming. Gave92 is working hard on Wii Browser and slowly the wii in regards to the Internet is becoming fully usable. There's already a twitter client (but it could use a channel) and I believe this is the next step. Just because the Wii isnt Nintendo's current console, does not mean that it has to just, die.

As always, share your thoughts below...

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks awesome actually. I'd like something like this, but the internet channel with Gmail in Basic HTML works just fine for what it is.
edit: who stars emails from bed bath and beyond? lol

if this ever takes off, i'm the guy for the forwarder banner.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks awesome actually. I'd like something like this, but the internet channel with Gmail in Basic HTML works just fine for what it is.
edit: who stars emails from bed bath and beyond? lol

if this ever takes off, i'm the guy for the forwarder banner.

I get that basic gmail works for the most part but I want the Wii to feel "alive" again. It's sad that blue light messages are pretty much non existent anymore. As for BB&B, yeah I figure that someone would get a chuckle out of that.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Now, if you were REALLY creative, you'd have an email client that would just grab all new mail and dump it into the Wii message board. You could have it priiloader autoboot it with just a "checking mail" message on the screen and then have it automatically return to the Wii menu when you're done.

Reactions: HNKii

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii email? You could organize your group of hookers into one single list. ;)

But this sounds really awesome. Maybe they could do something like this for the Nintendo Network (sexy name btw) and while they're at it, implement a Facebook for the people. But just the people who add you as a friend.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, if you were REALLY creative, you'd have an email client that would just grab all new mail and dump it into the Wii message board. You could have it priiloader autoboot it with just a "checking mail" message on the screen and then have it automatically return to the Wii menu when you're done.

That's actually pretty damn smart! Only issue I would have is being able to manage your contacts. The reason why I did the client in such a way was to allow users to be able to filter the email they want to see via the message board. Not to mention, some sort of GUI would be needed for mail and contact setup. Pushing the mail to the message board would just be an easy wait to quickly message your Wii only friends.

(\__ /)___
(o' . 'o)\ __/
(")_(")//

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States
Most of us use smartphones for this stuff and Wii U has a browser that is actually really great.
Now of course there is Linux on Wii so you can use that, but it might be slow. You should probably switch to Wii U like the rest of us, and I doubt anyone would want to make a Wii browser/email.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You know...not everyone owns a Wii U. I made this thread to talk about solving a problem on WII not replacing a problem with a Wii U solution.
I understand this.
But you have to realistic, there are so many way to have a similar function.
Nowadays we have phones, pc, tablets etc.
Even the Wii can have this if you use a web based email client via the Wii webbrowser.
There really is no need to get the email files using pop3, remember you'd still need an email server to handle it.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I actually like this idea. How much do we know about the message board? I mean, essentially, it would just be an app that connects to your email, downloads new mails, converts it to wii message format, and posts it on the message board. Maybe use the SD card message signing that Letterbomb/Wiibrand uses? Then we wouldn't even have to modify nand, just download email and mark it read on the account, convert email to wii mail files, check mac, signs and send to SD in correct directory in the private folder for it to show up, boots wii menu.

Edit; the funny thing is, this system of creating your wii it's own gmail account and making a homebrew to fetch and convert mail on the fly is 10x more efficient than the Wii Message Boards intended use ever was. At least conceptually. Implementing it might be hard.

Another Edit; Going even farther, sending mail, you'd have to have the app check message board (meaning glancing and copying from nand) for memos (messages can't be sent because WC24 is gone, so that means no email validation or anything like that) composed by a certain Mii or something, convert to email... I guess the first two lines in each memo file would be the subject and recipient, and the 3rd onward would be the message.

The Wii menu would have to have some kind of "send/receive mail" channel, that would boot up, refresh mail, and then return to Wii menu with the mail refreshed.

To be honest, it seems like more work than anyone would be willing to do though, so i don't see it happening. It's a cool idea in concept, but ultimately useless.

Reactions: HNKii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end