Wii DVD playback no longer working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by duffmmann, Apr 29, 2013.

1. duffmmann
    OP

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Ok, so for the first time in a long time, I wanted to watch an official DVD movie on my Wii via WiiMC. And before you ask, yes I have a Wii that can play DVDs, I had done so plenty of times in the past. Now however, no matter the DVD I get the error: unsupported DVD and then ultimately: DVD playback is not supported on this Wii. What's the deal? Is there an ios I must reinstall? Or perhaps an ios needed to do something else interferes with DVD playback? or maybe the laser is coming to its death? I literally don't use the disc drive for anything else, all Wii and GC games boot up through my hard drive. Anyway if anyone has any insight, that would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gabelvampir

Gabelvampir Free Mars!

Mar 17, 2009
    Gambia, The
    K-Town
    When did you last use this? If I remember correctly the method used tom play DVDs was changed after the System Menu v4.3 (June 2010) update, and you need IOS58 to use the new method.
    But I am not sure, I only played a DVD once for a view minutes as a test years ago and never used it as a DVD player, I have enough other devices for that.
    Best look in the documentation of WiiMC how to set up DVD playback now or try a different Wii media player with DVD capabilities.

3. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    best to but a $30 dvd player

4. scooby74029

scooby74029 "fake coder"

May 7, 2010
    United States
    oklahoma, USA
    if you have an older wii get ios 58 no patches have HBC 1.0.8 or higher version and download wiimc put in a dvd and play it from the disc option in wiimc

5. 594rk

594rk Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I had this problem. I fixed it by using a older version of the hackmii installer to reinstall DVDX.

6. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Make sure you are using the latest HBC and IOS58. That will give you AHBPROT, which is total access to the Wii (hence DVDX is useless). Also check meta.xml to make sure you did not comment out AHBPROT.

7. kehkou

kehkou does what Nintendon't

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    Had this same problem. With no software solution, I opened the wii and ever-so-gently brush the dust off the eye with a Q-tip. it works well (for Brawl too), but not long here in dust-coated New Mexico.

8. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    Nintendo lens cleaner, although it looks like they quit making it, I bought one at gamestop a few years ago. Works wonders for dual layer disc games and dual layer disc DVD movies.

http://store.nintendo.com

9. kehkou

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    I was once told the official disk cleaner effed up the lense by a gamestop worker. But i take anything they say with a few grains of salt.

10. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    It was probably the effed up gamestop worker that effed up the Wii while cleaning the lens. I had no problems cleaning my lens with the Nintendo brand lens cleaner, I think I bought it because the Other M game I rented wouldn't work, upon cleaning the lens the game worked.

11. kehkou

Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    The Duke City
    Gamestop workers cant tell an [​IMG] from [​IMG]
    Back on topic, consider that the problem may be a dirty lense. Use the clener kit or open it and clean it yourself to see if it works.