Hacking Wii DVD playback no longer working

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so for the first time in a long time, I wanted to watch an official DVD movie on my Wii via WiiMC. And before you ask, yes I have a Wii that can play DVDs, I had done so plenty of times in the past. Now however, no matter the DVD I get the error: unsupported DVD and then ultimately: DVD playback is not supported on this Wii. What's the deal? Is there an ios I must reinstall? Or perhaps an ios needed to do something else interferes with DVD playback? or maybe the laser is coming to its death? I literally don't use the disc drive for anything else, all Wii and GC games boot up through my hard drive. Anyway if anyone has any insight, that would be greatly appreciated.

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When did you last use this? If I remember correctly the method used tom play DVDs was changed after the System Menu v4.3 (June 2010) update, and you need IOS58 to use the new method.
But I am not sure, I only played a DVD once for a view minutes as a test years ago and never used it as a DVD player, I have enough other devices for that.
Best look in the documentation of WiiMC how to set up DVD playback now or try a different Wii media player with DVD capabilities.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you are using the latest HBC and IOS58. That will give you AHBPROT, which is total access to the Wii (hence DVDX is useless). Also check meta.xml to make sure you did not comment out AHBPROT.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had this same problem. With no software solution, I opened the wii and ever-so-gently brush the dust off the eye with a Q-tip. it works well (for Brawl too), but not long here in dust-coated New Mexico.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had this same problem. With no software solution, I opened the wii and ever-so-gently brush the dust off the eye with a Q-tip. it works well (for Brawl too), but not long here in dust-coated New Mexico.

Nintendo lens cleaner, although it looks like they quit making it, I bought one at gamestop a few years ago. Works wonders for dual layer disc games and dual layer disc DVD movies.

http://store.nintendo.com

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo lens cleaner, although it looks like they quit making it, I bought one at gamestop a few years ago. Works wonders for dual layer disc games and dual layer disc DVD movies.

http://store.nintendo.com

I was once told the official disk cleaner effed up the lense by a gamestop worker. But i take anything they say with a few grains of salt.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was once told the official disk cleaner effed up the lense by a gamestop worker. But i take anything they say with a few grains of salt.

It was probably the effed up gamestop worker that effed up the Wii while cleaning the lens. I had no problems cleaning my lens with the Nintendo brand lens cleaner, I think I bought it because the Other M game I rented wouldn't work, upon cleaning the lens the game worked.

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamestop workers cant tell an
wasabidx2.jpg
from
Odiepic.jpg

Back on topic, consider that the problem may be a dirty lense. Use the clener kit or open it and clean it yourself to see if it works.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No sharing
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Too bad, they already drank it.
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know...