Hardware Wii Component Cable Catch 22

fightabunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a HD projector that can sync with no lower than 480p resolution. So, it cannot sync with the default 480i output of the Wii. However, to switch the console to 480p output, you have to navigate through the GUI menu of the Wii to the Screen Resolution menu and switch it to 480p, followed by hitting confirm.

You cannot switch it to 480p when it has an AV jack cable plugged in, therefore I cannot put it on another non-HDTV and switch it to 480p. Also, I don't have any other TVs that take a component input so I can switch it then move it to the projector.

The closest thing I can do is navigate to the screen resolution menu with AV jacks in an AV TV, switch the AV jacks out with component, try to hit 480p and confirm blind with the wiimote, and then plug it into the projector. However, being a motion controlled system and having to switch the jacks midway, it's nearly impossible.

Also, this is a very impractical solution seeing as I might have to use my wii on non-HDTV's every once in a while and I don't want to go through that whole process again.

Any help?

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Yep. I just got a wii and know exactly what Linkiboy is talking about. You can't just use the D-pad to get around. You actually have to use the remote and to blind move isn't really a feasible thing. My best suggestion is to either get an inexpensive HDTV or a new projector that can sync at 480i in addition to 480p. Trust me if it was possible I probably would of known about it already.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
if you have a classic controller, you can put the wiimote away from the "screen", and use the controllsticks to move the pointer... that way, you can have it exactly where you want-.. pro tip of the day
wub.gif

GameDragon

Mugiwara RAWR!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know exactly what your talking about fightabunny, I had the same problem with my VGA box. Since my TV didn't support 480p, I used my 720p monitor instead. Nothing shows up on 480i so I had to use my TV (it has component cable slots, but doesn't support 480p) to switch resolutions.

fightabunny

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. I used the site dearodie posted, though I found it in a google search rather than the thread.

Worked perfectly. The green gave me a black and white picture and I navigated and switched to 480p, turning off the TV right before I hit confirm (though I can't see how feeding a progressive scan into an interlaced would do any damage to a TV. But just to be safe.)

Also, trying to use the wiimote would have worked I guess. Wasn't paying attention to the rumble though and never really tried it cause it just seemed so farfetched.

Also also, the classic controller thing would have worked only if I had gotten lucky. You have to press 2 buttons blindly. One to switch it to HD and one to confirm the selection. Using the joystick between the switching and the confirm would have been tricky.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks everyone. I used the site dearodie posted, though I found it in a google search rather than the thread.

Worked perfectly. The green gave me a black and white picture and I navigated and switched to 480p, turning off the TV right before I hit confirm (though I can't see how feeding a progressive scan into an interlaced would do any damage to a TV. But just to be safe.)

Also, trying to use the wiimote would have worked I guess. Wasn't paying attention to the rumble though and never really tried it cause it just seemed so farfetched.

Also also, the classic controller thing would have worked only if I had gotten lucky. You have to press 2 buttons blindly. One to switch it to HD and one to confirm the selection. Using the joystick between the switching and the confirm would have been tricky.

oh okay, didn't know about the confirmation
smile.gif
oh well, good thing it solved out!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol