drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something similar is already in it:
just add <arguments><arg>pagetoload</arg></arguments>
to the meta.xml file in the apps/wiibrowser/.
"pagetoload" can be:

a page url (e.g "http://www.google.it/")
"homepage" to load the homepage
"bookmark_x" to load the x-th favorite (e.g "bookmark_4")

Sorry no known way to do this, only (in the future) flash videos (i.e youtube..)

But I'm talking about loading multiple instances of the browser, probably through some kind of homebrew loader mod, each having different settings. How could we do this?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
that could still be used as a as-is if you're kinda creative about it.
in the plugin INI you could use this (I think ... assuming the device root can be used as a romdir= setting)

magic=62727773
coverColor=000000
arguments=http://{path}
romDir=
dolFile=WiiBrowser.dol
fileTypes=.www
displayName=Wii Browser
ReturnLoader=yes

You would then just make folders representing the full URL and then put a dummy file named site-name.www in that folder.

For example :

sd:/www.google.com/Google.www
sd:/gbatemp.net/GBATemp.www
sd:/gbatemp.net/forums/wii-backup-loaders.190/Temp Backup Loader section.www

so in WiiFlow it would show 3 covers saying "Google", "GBATemp", and "Temp Backup Loader section" (the filename)

and WiiBrowser would get
http://www.google.com
http://gbatemp.net
http://gbatemp.net/forums/wii-backup-loaders.190
(based on just the names of the folders)

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that could still be used as a as-is if you're kinda creative about it.
in the plugin INI you could use this (I think ... assuming the device root can be used as a romdir= setting)

magic=62727773
coverColor=000000
arguments=http://{path}
romDir=
dolFile=WiiBrowser.dol
fileTypes=.www
displayName=Wii Browser
ReturnLoader=yes

You would then just make folders representing the full URL and then put a dummy file named site-name.www in that folder.

For example :

sd:/www.google.com/Google.www
sd:/gbatemp.net/GBATemp.www
sd:/gbatemp.net/forums/wii-backup-loaders.190/Temp Backup Loader section.www

so in WiiFlow it would show 3 covers saying "Google", "GBATemp", and "Temp Backup Loader section" (the filename)

and WiiBrowser would get
http://www.google.com
http://gbatemp.net
http://gbatemp.net/forums/wii-backup-loaders.190
(based on just the names of the folders)

A couple other little details I would like to point out again, we would also need
Download folder=
and preferably auto return on completion, but if I have to push home instead, I guess I could live with that.

Now I'm all excited! Can we make this happen, guys? :D

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
throw that into a INI file and put it in your plugins folder with the DOL named WiiBrowser.dol and go ahead and test it and find out (I'm not near a Wii to test it myself ATM)
Not sure I understand. URLs have forward slashes and colons in them, something folder names can't have. Also, as it is, all downloads would be sent to the same folder, wouldn't they?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Not sure I understand. URLs have forward slashes in them, something folder names can't have. Also, as it is, all downloads would be sent to the same folder, wouldn't they?
Yeah, all downloads would be sent to the same folder

As far as the forward slashes, backslashes are only used to separate subfolders in DOS/Windows but on a Wii it would be a forward slash so you'd have to put folders inside of folders to get the full path to look like the URL you want.

The only problem would be you can't have a ? or a : in a folder name but you could have it in a URL so that would limit a LITTLE bit which pages you could actually link to in the plugin (unless you were to alter wiibrowser a little bit to automatically replace spaces with one of those or something ... but not essential)

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, all downloads would be sent to the same folder

As far as the forward slashes, backslashes are only used to separate subfolders in DOS/Windows but on a Wii it would be a forward slash so you'd have to put folders inside of folders to get the full path to look like the URL you want.

The only problem would be you can't have a ? or a : in a folder name but you could have it in a URL so that would limit a LITTLE bit which pages you could actually link to in the plugin (unless you were to alter wiibrowser a little bit to automatically replace spaces with one of those or something ... but not essential)

Same folder... That creates a problem with my vision. Unless we could have multiple dols in their own folders, each writing the necessary settings to the individual folders. I don't like the sound of those limitations.
EDIT: Maxternal It took me a bit, but it finally dawned on me what you meant about downloading to the root of the device. If we were to make a folder hierarchy for each download, then we can download to the root, then everything would download to where it needs to.
EDIT2: I tried it your way and Here's what I came up with.
http://apps/wiibrowser/shortcuts/www.bing.com - Google Search :(

On another note, when I tried on 3 different sites to download games, I keep getting 404 errors like crazy. Trying to manually enter the download link, how do I check the download status? Be nice if the progress bar popped up or something.On 112 right now, auto update won't work.

gave92 So what exactly is the shortcut protocol for Wiibrowser? Do I need to put folders inside of folders until I get the exact web address I want, or can you make it so wiibrowser can read the URL from wiibrowser/shortcuts/ini or meta containing a URL? Also I've found that the downloading itself is not very intuitive. (At least for me. I still don't know how to check the downloads, or even assign a download folder, as I fumble around with wiibrowser's controls :( ) If we click a download link, it'd be nice if a progress bar would pop up at the bottom or something. Also, can we download to root?

Seriously you two, I'm just itchin to start making covers and shortcuts to all kinds of crazy cool shiz, I just need to know how to make it come together!:bow:

Reactions: MassiveRican

gave92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Cool! I didn't know about this feature of WiiFlow.
I think I'd better modify WiiBrowser to accept something like:

[PLUGIN]
arguments=shortcut|{device}/{path}/{name}

WiiBrowser will open the file pointed by {device}/{path}/{name} and read the
url from there.

drakorex said:
Also I've found that the downloading itself is not very intuitive.
Things always seem easy to the developer ;): to see the download progress simply click
on the download icon on the main app page (it's the button with "Download Manager" as tooltip)

Could you explain better what problem you experienced with the auto update?.
Yes, you can download to the root.

Reactions: Maxternal

drakorex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool! I didn't know about this feature of WiiFlow.
I think I'd better modify WiiBrowser to accept something like:

[PLUGIN]
arguments=shortcut|{device}/{path}/{name}

WiiBrowser will open the file pointed by {device}/{path}/{name} and read the
url from there.

Things always seem easy to the developer ;): to see the download progress simply click
on the download icon on the main app page (it's the button with "Download Manager" as tooltip)

Could you explain better what problem you experienced with the auto update?.
Yes, you can download to the root.
Booted up the version I had, no update. deleted it entirely, downloaded it from homebrew browser, booted it up, no update. downloaded the dol from the google code page, same. 112 is the last downloadable rev. I wish I had the libs, man! (yes Auto update was turned on)

Speaking of Homebrew browser, would you be able to make Wiibrowser unzip/rar the way HBB does after the download? Wiixplorer is able to unzip. That on top of your pluginifying it for Wiiflow would be just what I need to make everything work!

gave92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
:wtf: just tried to do the same and autoupdate works for me: make sure to set "Autoupdate" on "Stable"
and to delete the "wiibrowser.cfg" file in the app folder. (yes, rev112 is the latest).
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

About zip files: I can surely add this feature to WiiBrowser, you'll find it in the next release.

gave92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The wait is over!
I've just published the new version on the project site.

Revision 121:
  • adds the possibility to import/export favorites from/to other browsers.
  • improves the onscreen keyboard, now with text pointer
  • can unzip downloaded files
  • can work as a WiiFlow plugin

gave92

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
drakorex said:
I KNOW, but I want to try this shit out! I can't compile without the libs and nothing has been released since 112.
To anyone who is interested in compiling WiiBrowser's source code:
  • I uploaded all the necessary files on Google Code
  • See here for instructions and feel free to ask me

Reactions: Maxternal

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended