Wii #2064 - Green Day Rock Band (Europe)

wui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
berlinka said:
D34DL1N3R said:
berlinka said:
When Beatles Rockband came out I couldn't wait to play it, but this I will avoid like the plague! I hate Greenday! It sounds like children's pop tunes. Just because you use distortion guitars and put gel in your hair and have some eyeliner it doesn't make you a punk band. American Girls = Why don't you get a job (offspring) = Ob la di ob la da....

I feel the exact opposite. I have an extremely large & eclectic music collection but it contains absolutely no Beatles albums. I find them awfully bland and highly overrated.
You may find them "highly overrated" but they pretty much invented everything in pop music there is to invent. It's the same as saying that Watt, who invented the steam engine is highly overrated because we now have electricity....booooohh...

I can't feel Green Day having contributed something memorable to pop music in general.
I kind of agree with you in the global idea even if it's quite extremist to say that.
PS: I loved the game of your avatar, but can't remember the name (it was quite long ago...) it was running on ST? Very good arcade game, I have a impressed souvenir

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
wui said:
berlinka said:
D34DL1N3R said:
berlinka said:
When Beatles Rockband came out I couldn't wait to play it, but this I will avoid like the plague! I hate Greenday! It sounds like children's pop tunes. Just because you use distortion guitars and put gel in your hair and have some eyeliner it doesn't make you a punk band. American Girls = Why don't you get a job (offspring) = Ob la di ob la da....

I feel the exact opposite. I have an extremely large & eclectic music collection but it contains absolutely no Beatles albums. I find them awfully bland and highly overrated.
You may find them "highly overrated" but they pretty much invented everything in pop music there is to invent. It's the same as saying that Watt, who invented the steam engine is highly overrated because we now have electricity....booooohh...

I can't feel Green Day having contributed something memorable to pop music in general.
I kind of agree with you in the global idea even if it's quite extremist to say that.
PS: I loved the game of your avatar, but can't remember the name (it was quite long ago...) it was running on ST? Very good arcade game, I have a impressed souvenir

Operation Wolf! Hehehe... A game I was terrible at, but I loved it though on the Amiga and ST...

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lonegreyride said:
The part that gets me about this is that Green Day is basically two different bands. I'm sure there are a lot of people who love it all, but early-90s Greed Day is pretty much the polar opposite of what they are now. I'd love to play stuff from Insomniac and earlier, but I wouldn't waste my time with the American Idiot or newer stuff. I'm sure there are quite a few people who are the opposite way.

That being said, people need to learn to understand that not every game is made with 100% of videogamers in mind as the target audience. If you don't like Green Day, this game obviously isn't for you. I have to laugh every time I hear someone say the Beatles didn't deserve a rockband, or that they're just not that good... this is pure ignorance, the Beatles are the most important musical group of the last century. Period. You lose.

I think the hard thing for developers working on these games is that people aren't as into music as they used to be (at least not in the same way). There really are no icons any more. Years ago... a band would go 2 or 3 years without releasing an album, and fans would be salivating waiting for the next one. These days, you go more than a year without releasing an album, and everyone forgets you exist. Besides that, audiences are more divided than ever. When the Beatles came out, they could be so big because there weren't that many different types of music on the radio. Basically old people music and young people music. If you listened to young people music, there was probably a 95% chance you'd listen to the Beatles (At least after a few years). Now for every person who loves a song, there are probably 5 or 6 more wasting their time and energy expressing their intense hatred for it.

Times have changed... .So have Green Day.

The beatles were lucky guys. period. you lose. good day sir. they were no more talented than green day or any other teen pop band. anyone could write those tunes, it just so happened the beatles got there first. the music is bland and plain. now because they were so popular a lot of kids listened to it, who grew up to make music, and bam, they start saying "yeah the beatles influenced me". so if all of our big name musicians grew up in the beatles time period, it makes sense to say they were a major influence. there was nothing else available at the time! i don't mean to distract, but its kind of on topic, green day deserves a rock band just as much as the beatles. yeah green day sold out, but their old stuff will go down in history as some good pop-punk tunes.

berlinka

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
VashTS said:
The beatles were lucky guys. period. you lose. good day sir. they were no more talented than green day or any other teen pop band. anyone could write those tunes, it just so happened the beatles got there first. the music is bland and plain. now because they were so popular a lot of kids listened to it, who grew up to make music, and bam, they start saying "yeah the beatles influenced me". so if all of our big name musicians grew up in the beatles time period, it makes sense to say they were a major influence. there was nothing else available at the time! i don't mean to distract, but its kind of on topic, green day deserves a rock band just as much as the beatles. yeah green day sold out, but their old stuff will go down in history as some good pop-punk tunes.
I've played guitar, drums, bass and composed music almost all my life, and I know quite a bit about what is "easy pop" and what is "crafting songs with soul, style, harmony and technique". You obviously don't have an idea about what crafted music is. So you lose. Off course you can like Green Day more than the Beatles, but saying it's more or less the same is the silliest thing I have ever heard. I agree with you that the Beatles were lucky to be there at the time, but they also discovered things in music that are unbelievable. Did you really listen to all the albums they made? In seven years the Beatles managed to evolve the way only very few bands do in 20 years time.

So first listen to all the Beatles records and then see if you still haven't changed your mind.

But to stay on topic: Green Day, congratulations with getting your own Rockband game, you obviously did something terribly right. But I'm still waiting for Rockband: QUEEN!

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know what I can use to get the USB instruments working. There was a softchip USB instrument loader but it only works for RB2 as far as I can tell.

lonegreyride

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
VashTS said:

You just couldn't be more wrong about the Beatles. It's impossible. You're as wrong as a person could be.

Hard work, not luck, got them in the position to have their music heard. Luck had nothing to do with it. Luck does not explain having numbers 1 through 5 on the Billboard top 40 at the same time, or anything else that happened for the Beatles.

Now you want bland, go listen to one of Green Day's last two albums.

berlinka

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
lonegreyride said:
VashTS said:

You just couldn't be more wrong about the Beatles. It's impossible. You're as wrong as a person could be.

Hard work, not luck, got them in the position to have their music heard. Luck had nothing to do with it. Luck does not explain having numbers 1 through 5 on the Billboard top 40 at the same time, or anything else that happened for the Beatles.

Now you want bland, go listen to one of Green Day's last two albums.

You are worthy of laudation. You are a person with sense, lonegreyride.
I'm reading the biography Shout, about the Beatles and, boy did they have a tough job "getting there". When they played a venue in Hamburg in in their early days they played several months, 7 nights a week, for 4 hours non-stop for almost no money, sleeping in chairs. I can't imagine the guys from Green Day doing that.

overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
Trophies
XP
Country
been waiting for this for ages.
yes, now they may be sellouts, and only every second song is good, but all the early stuff is great (dookie, nimrod, etc)... burning now and cant wait to play it... just hope it works from disc with no hassles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ