Question Why won't my Switch go into RCM mode?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Imaginesafety, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Imaginesafety
    OP

Imaginesafety Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    I'm new to the Switch homebrew scene and finally decided to jailbreak my it. I have a total of 3 Jigs that were provided to me from eBay sellers that had sold a large amount of them. Anyways, I tried all three of them and none worked. I slid the jigs as far as they can go without force, held the volume up button, then tapped the power button while the switch was completely off. Every single time I do it the Nintendo logo pops up and I come closer to giving up.

I'm not entirely sure if the TegraRCM application has anything to do with it. But I installed the APX driver and followed instructions yet my Switch refuses to boot into RCM mode. I was told that the Jigs are a reliable method. Also prior to inserting the jigs into the right joycon slot, nothing has ever been in there aside from the joycon itself so it can't be pin damage. When I take a look, everything looks fine. Am I just unlucky? I'm also on a Mac running Bootcamp to use the TegraRCM.exe, for some reason every time I reboot the app I have to reinstall the APX driver, but that's asides the point. What am I missing here???? Frustrating.

2. Imaginesafety
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    my switch***

3. Neath

Neath Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Canada
    Post pics of your jigs

4. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 20, 2010
    Serbia, Republic of
    Is your unit freshly bought? They say some newest consoles are proofed.

5. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Try not putting them in all the way. My jig doesn't work if I put it in all the way. I have to put mine in like 70~80% in.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

jimmyj, The Real Jdbye and Milenko like this.
  6. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    I think Mac OS has its own payload injecting app. Post a picture of your jig; I don't think its touching the right pins.

7. asnka

asnka GBAtemp Regular

Apr 27, 2006
    Kazakhstan
  8. Imaginesafety
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2015
    United States

Attached Files:

9. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    Maybe you could answer all the other questions that were asked so people can help you. When did you buy your switch?

10. Imaginesafety
    OP

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    asnka likes this.
  11. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Said no girl ever :P

It does work buddy With the jig in or with you shorting pins 10 -1 or short pin 10 to a joycon rail screw or ground to be precise whilst still in or shorted,

Press and hold volume + and hold power for say 3 seconds the screen should not show logo

If it does not, then plug in cable to pc with tregra gui open should show rcm mode in green if its in rcm and the apx driver is isntalled

OH and most importantly make sure its on the right side and not the left lol

Also here is some pics showing the pins u can short or connect and a paperclip jig
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/paperclip-rcm-jig.502087/

Last edited by Canna, Aug 8, 2018
  12. jakkal

jakkal GBAtemp Addict

Apr 27, 2018
    United States
    You have bad jigs

Xenon Hacks likes this.
  13. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Try cutting the sides off and pushing the pins more towards the sides and if that still doesn't work then also push them slighty upwards 2. That's what I had to to and it worked that way because had the same problem as you

14. Neath

Neath Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2013
    Canada
    Canada
    Looks gucci to me. Jig needs to be on right side, all the way down. Hold vol up and single press power button. Should be in RCM mode...

15. Ziefer846

Ziefer846 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 22, 2015
    United States
    If the jigs don't work, try forming a temporary jig with a paperclip. I believe there's a guide out there somewhere with the measurements.

16. stewacide

stewacide GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2018
    Canada
    I ordered one of these 3d printed jigs and it never worked no matter what wire I used / how I bent it.

But tinfoil+tape gets it into RCM the first time every time. Youtube it.

17. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    no dont do this if you short pin 4 to ground u could brick or damage joycon

18. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Just do what I said. cut the sides of the jig and bent the pins slightly towards the outer edge and a bit upwards and it will work guaranteed or do the joycon mod wich is so easy to do and no autorcm needed

19. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    You're more likely to damage the joycon rail using a jib. I can say from personal experience that the oil method works just fine. No need to tape it, just use it to enter RCM, run the payload and simply don't turn the switch off again, just put it on sleep mode. Every method has it's risks, saying" oh don't use this method because it's risky" is pointless

20. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2016
    United States
    Regardless of whether your switch is patched you can still enter RCM mode, you just cant exploit it. So if you are not getting a black screen it means your pins are not grounding properly, which means that you likely need to do as kumikochan advised above.

You will get a status return of 0x0000 after sending payload in RCM if your unit is patched.