WHY?!?! Why Arent Wii Developers Using DVD9 Disc

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by LightyKD, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Seriously. Its starting to get annoying hearing how developers dong have enough space for their Wii games when they continue to use DVD-5 disc. Why aren't devs using DVD-9???

2. blitzer320

Member blitzer320 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    because everything on the wii is a piece of shit and not spent enough time on to have to need a dvd-9 and plus the graphics don't take up as much as something like the 360 (which uses dvd-9) or they just don't want anymore issues because of what happened with ssbb

3. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    Because it isnt necessary.

Only reason SSBB had DVD-9 was because of all the movies.

4. Whizz

Member Whizz When things don't go right, go left.

Netherlands
    They have plenty of space, scrub your games with Wiiscrubber and see how much space you can save.

5. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why? Because they need to be DVD9 games to be fun? [​IMG]

I don't get it.

6. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    Its funny how you guys come up with such negative remarks yet I'm sure you were all bitchin when Rockband on first came out with NO online mode and we all remember what the reason was. That's right, lack of disc space when it was clear that EA used DVD-5 disc for the game and could have used DVD-9. Dual Layer DVD's ARE needed on Wii, more now than ever, even if its to just give the system some edge. Brawl was not a failure when it comes to Dual Layer support. With a official copy of Brawl I never had a issue. Now a backup... that's another story.

7. Shadow#1

Member Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

United States
    no the reason why 360 games r all on dvd9's is because of the 4.37GB protection authentication layer

8. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Do you ever use your brain? That was just an excuse they made. Its obvious to anyone it was just a lazy port of rock band for the PS2 after realizing the Wii is where the moneys at. Just becasue they said they ran out of space doesn't make it true. And like what everyone else has said just becasue its on a smaller disk to doesn't make it more fun. Galaxy used a smaller disk yet its one of the best games of all times according to meta-critic (lets not start a flame war about meta-critic). Most Wii games don't need a larger disk due to the nature of the Wii. They would need a bigger disk if they had higher resolution textures and more polygons to save but they don't since its the Wii.

9. solcott

Newcomer solcott Member

Kazakhstan
    So what's the story with Rock Band 2 having a great online component? [​IMG]

The real reason was lazyness, Rock Band 1 didn't even use all of a DVD5.

edit, I guess that guy ^^ beat me to it with the lazyness [​IMG]

10. GHBAimen

Member GHBAimen GBAtemp Regular

Sweden

11. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    You just said it right there BETTER TEXTURES! Who says that Wii games don't deserve better textures. Hell, "The Conduit", "Super Smash Bros: Brawl" and "My Aquarium" all prove that the Wii is capable of better textures. Like I said, people complain about Wii games not looking pretty and that Wii games don't have enough content but when push comes to shove and the third parties are given the tools to make these so called "better hardcore games" you side with the lazy side of these companies. I'm about tired of seeing bits and pieces of the puzzle and nobody (until High Voltage came along) putting the puzzle together. The Wii IS capable of great looking games!

12. GHBAimen

Member GHBAimen GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    YOU HAVE HELL RIGHT! [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. maniacripper

Newcomer maniacripper Member

United States
    textures leads up back to two major issues on the wii and neither has to do with ROM size. the two major factors are lazy developers and the major problem the wii's ram being too low to store those textures.
    find one game that took up a whole dvd5 that would have been made better on a dvd9 in order to store more "graphics"

14. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    I wonder what the final cost difference per unit is between a DVD5 and DVD9 Wii disc. I still have 14 DVD+R DLs waiting to be burned. I never did try Miburi & Teburi. There are very few games that would benefit from a DVD9.

15. becker2384

Member becker2384 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I beg do differ. [​IMG] I think that a few games COULD use the bigger discs but MOST don't need to. Star wars Unleashed could have used some better textures, the levels seemed kinda small and the game as a whole seemed short. other games have no need for the extra room and still put out a great game (Yeah Rabbids!). Don't get me wrong I'd [​IMG] to see a FF gameor other Role player really take advantage of a bigger disc. but the Wii can only do SO much. There you go I've said it all and said nothing at the same time.

16. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    Your argument makes no sense whatsoever. The second layer of the DVD is used for movies: you remove those videos, you get a fully working DVD5. Graphics quality has nothing to do with the size of the DVD used for SSBB. Games get better with DVD9s? LOL. Just LOL.

17. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    i get the sense

because the textures in brawl are high quality (or something) it takes up lots of space therefore

the movies doesnt fit in the first layer

why else did they put the movies in the second layer? to make it harder for wiis to read the disc?

18. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Yeah Joey is right look for example to "Lost Winds" or some other WiiWare games really nice graphics for a 40 MB game [​IMG] and anyway graphics and the size of a game never made a game better.

19. Joey Ravn

Member Joey Ravn F*** you, Nintendo!

Spain
    You still make no f'ing sense. Let's apply your logic: you have Tetris Party. A 40MB game, IIRC. You put it in a DVD to sell it in retail. You add a ton of hig-quality videos, like those in SSBB. Suddenly, you see that you need a DVD9 to fit the whole game. So what? Does that mean that the textures used for the games were so good you couldn't fit the videos in? No, of course not. The videos are so big they need 4.7GB more to include them. Period. SSBB using a dual-layer DVD has nothing to do with the quality of its textures. It's the size of the many movies used what matters. Use WiiScrubber on a DVD5 version of the game, without the videos, and you'll see that the game's size is reduced, meaning that the game does not fill the whole 4.7GB DVD.

If you want to complain about the devs not using the full potential of the console, well, that's fine. But don't resort to stupid fallacies like that one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.